Full Float Conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 185763
Full Float Conversion

Mitchell Differentials in MA builds SF to FF conversions for several brands. It's a bolt on kit built for your particular axle. It appears the wms remains the same. Has anyone tried one or knows someone who has? Results??
Old 02-14-2020, 04:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
Mitchell Differentials in MA builds SF to FF conversions for several brands. It's a bolt on kit built for your particular axle. It appears the wms remains the same. Has anyone tried one or knows someone who has? Results??
There's at least one person on fullsize bronco who tried it. It came with approximately D44 sized spindled and whatnot.

For the money I think it would be far more worthwhile to build the poor man's full floater out of a Ford 9 or just swap in a real full floating axle. They're everywhere and cheap.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 185763
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
There's at least one person on fullsize bronco who tried it. It came with approximately D44 sized spindled and whatnot.

For the money I think it would be far more worthwhile to build the poor man's full floater out of a Ford 9 or just swap in a real full floating axle. They're everywhere and cheap.
I'm not sure that is an option for me. My 3rd section is a TRU HI 9 (Mega 9 gears) and the housing is Spidertrax with big Ford old style flange. I don't want to give up the center section and don't know if a Ford housing has the same wms to wms.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 181868
I have that kit on my DD fulsize Bronco. Had it for about twenty years. I run 38's and the 8.8 couldn't take them. It has been pretty good to me. Eventually, I broke the flange off the hubs. Now they make the hubs and flange out of billit. (Before they were welded.) I couldn't go to their new hubs because they changed some stuff. So I ended up machining my own.

One other issue I had was cracking the brake flange on the axle housing. This problem would not occur if you weld the spindle on instead of bolt. But I wanted to be able to transfer the kit to another axle. I did this when a bought another Bronco. I bent the axle tubes on that Bronco. (Nothing to do with the kit) So I finally built a new 8.8 with a truss and swapped the kit on it. (I reinforced the brake flange on it)

Since then, I haven't had any real problems. I think the kit is good quality and a real upgrade, and solves a lot of problems. But for the money, it's a tough call. If I were to do it again, I would swap in some tons and never look back. The only reason to this is if you want to stay five lug. I have Rare Alcoa wheels (that I love) so I'll keep it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
What rig is this going in, what are the spec and what is the intended use?

I think you should buy a pair of '05+ unit bearing cups (same bolt pattern as Dodge so you can use Dodge bearings with an alignment ring and a different axle shaft if you want to use 8x6.5), weld them on and be done with it.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 02-14-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 185763
This is on my Jeep/Buggy. It's a YJ frame with an aluminum LS1, 350 auto, atlas, Dana hp 60 front, TRU HI 9 rear with a CJ7 body tubed at the rear. 108" wb running 43" TSL stickies. It weighs 4200# and used for rock crawling. It had been run for several years without breaking the Dutchman axle shafts, but has bent a couple and tristed the splines. I'm putting a new shaft in now, but after having a shaved 14 bolt in my LJ, I just don't want to worry about when the next shaft will bend. I want to retain the clearance, lighter weight of the 9, 5 on 5.5 bp and 63"wms. Just looking for the most reasonable way to get it done. Thanks

Last edited by Venturer; 02-14-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
What rig is this going in, what are the spec and what is the intended use?

I think you should buy a pair of '05+ unit bearing cups (same bolt pattern as Dodge so you can use Dodge bearings with an alignment ring and a different axle shaft if you want to use 8x6.5), weld them on and be done with it.
He had a thread where we recommended that, we found several vendors. He HGTD it.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
I'm not sure that is an option for me. My 3rd section is a TRU HI 9 (Mega 9 gears) and the housing is Spidertrax with big Ford old style flange. I don't want to give up the center section and don't know if a Ford housing has the same wms to wms.
IMO The best option would be to build a new housing and sell your current housing and shafts. Reuse your third.

Everything else aside from bearing cups is going to be Mickey Mouse. Do it this way and it will be done right.

& Blaine

Old 02-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
I want to retain the clearance, lighter weight of the 9, 5 on 5.5 bp and 63"wms. Just looking for the most reasonable way to get it done. Thanks
Fuck it. Buy the biggest 5x5.5 unit bearing you can find, take measurements, make (or have someone else make) some cups and buy custom axle shafts to go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
He had a thread where we recommended that, we found several vendors. He HGTD it.
Lol, didn't realize this was the same guy.

Quote:
IMO The best option would be to build a new housing and sell your current housing and shafts. Reuse your third.

Everything else aside from bearing cups is going to be Mickey Mouse. Do it this way and it will be done right.
Arguably he could graft the ends from a FF axle on but that would be more work.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 02-14-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Lol, didn't realize this was the same guy.
I found a place on Facebook that made any cup you wanted, I went back to post it in his thread and he deleted three threads.

& Blaine

Old 02-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 101265
Quote:
I found a place on Facebook that made any cup you wanted, I went back to post it in his thread and he deleted three threads.
Link? My search skills aren't always the greatest, especially on FB.
Kunker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunker View Post
Link? My search skills aren't always the greatest, especially on FB.
It was in one of the groups Iím in. I wanted to remember it, so I was going to post in thread so it could be found again. If I see it again, Iíll repost.

FB sucks for finding stuff.

& Blaine

Old 02-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 185763
Sorry to be a pest here. Was just trying to tap into the knowledge here to determine what my options are. A highly qualified local shop has quoted $3400 to convert it. That surprised me a bit and am debating whether to write the check or consider the Mitchell option. I'm not setup here to do more than bolt on, so beyond that it goes to a shop.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
FB sucks for finding stuff.
Three little dots at the top right of any post if you're viewing on a mobile device, then click on save post. No need to rely on your notifications to follow a post.

Last edited by CSP; 02-14-2020 at 08:27 PM.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Sorry to be a pest here. Was just trying to tap into the knowledge here to determine what my options are. A highly qualified local shop has quoted $3400 to convert it. That surprised me a bit and am debating whether to write the check or consider the Mitchell option. I'm not setup here to do more than bolt on, so beyond that it goes to a shop.
For $3400 you could buy a new housing, shafts, hubs, and brakes.

But you wont listen to the first 100 suggestions, so get your checkbook out and pay the shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in