NV3550 problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 07:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 22531
NV3550 problems

I've been having bad problems with new NV3550 transmissions.
Tried finding a tech contact number on NV site, but it looks like it's fairly non-operational now seeing as they've been taken over by "Magna"
Does anbody know of a tech support number for the old NV company which has been carried over to the new company.
Tried calling Magna, but nobody there knew how to get hold of tech support...
ukjeepy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2005, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Don't know any number. What's it doing? (Might as well throw some tech into this thread.)

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 22531
NV 3550 Problems

O.K The problems I have have been consistant with 2, brand new straight from the crate NV 3550 transmissions.

My Jeep has brand new pilot bearing, flywheel, ( checked for true and balanced, new clutch assy, new hydraulics, properly bled.)

I've tried changing the Mopar tranny fluids for mobil1 5/30, no difference at all.

1/ Select first gear from stationary,fine (even tried holding the revs high at 3500rpm to check for clutch drag) Checked out the the same in Reverse, so that totally eliminates clutch dragging problems
2/ Shift from 1st to 2nd, bad crunch
3/ Shift from 2nd to 3rd bad crunch like bad synchro's
4/ Shift from 3rd to 4th, absolutely sweet......!!
5/ Shift from 4th to 5th, absolutely sweet..!!
6/ Shift from 5th to 4th, absolutely sweet..
7/ shift from 4th to 3rd, absolutely sweet..
8/ shift from 3rd to 2nd, absolutely sweet...
9/ shift from 2nd to 1st, Kerrrrrrunch

DC UK replaced the first box after 600 miles, after first insisting that it needed to "Break-in" ( No-shit.. A Manual transmission ??? More like Bullshit !!) Second box was Identical to the first, they've tested it the same as I have and admitted that the second box has the same faults as the previous one ( Nothing wrong with the clutch operation) They've said that they cant understand it as they've never had any other problems like this with the NV 3550.

Any Idea's ... Apart from throwing out the NV3550

Old 10-25-2005, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22119
I think its normal.

Mine is same way. Always was tight in the same gears you describe. 110k on it. Just don't shift as fast! I always get some tailgater slamming on their brakes cuz I can't "slap" it into the next gear....its a truck trans!

I put Redline in it at 10k miles and had MUCH smoother shifts. I just switched to Synchromesh at 110k after going for a swim in a 4' deep beaver dam and it shifts harder than ever before. I'm switching back to Redline as soon as I order some. If you check Royal Purples site, they provide some crossreference numbers to watch for, you can't just use any type of lube cuz of the "special metal" they use on the synchronizers....wrong stuff pits and eats the synchros quickly I guess, same as some Dodge NV4500's.

Search and you will find...

Good luck

Lucas
jpboyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 07:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 41359
so does Redline have a fluid made for the NV3550.

Also I do alot of shifting w/o the clutch, have to shift slow but no grinding
AggieTJ2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38318
I'll second that it's normal.
I bought my '01 new & it's as you describe.
Took it back to the dealer & told them it was screwed up. They said it was normal.
Didn't believe them.... but now I do.
Shift slooooooow & no problems.
robert-r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24288
I have one behind a 258 in a CJ-7 and it does the same thing....just a basic truck tranny and very few of them can handle quick shifts.....noisy and clunky but has never let me down on or off trail....

I too would be interested in Redline product to replace Mopar fluid.....anybody here a Redline dealer ?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
so does Redline have a fluid made for the NV3550.

Also I do alot of shifting w/o the clutch, have to shift slow but no grinding
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...sp?subcatID=18

Ask for the NV3550 version.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22119
From the Redline Website:

About GL-5, the stuff that can corrode synchro's: "Typically, the use of a GL-5 lubricant in a synchromesh transmission will shorten the synchronizer life by one half."

Both MTL and MT-90: "The additive chemistry used is non-corrosive, so even though they will provide GL-4 performance, they will not corrode synchros or bushings."

MTL and MT-90 are same except for their viscocity (sp?) according to Redline.

Here is a chart showing the Chrysler # for the oil to use in the trans and Royal Purples equivalent... http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/tranxref.html

I use MT-90 in my 3550 trans. About 100k miles using it and while it does make shifting easier, it doesn't shift like a sports car, just makes it slide into gear much smoother. Before shifting, try to ease off the throttle, then push in clutch, shift and continue, makes a huge difference in shifting performance. I also found that higher RPM shifts were smoother...?

After I switched to Pennzoil Synchromesh (the Mopar PN 04874464 was on the bottle) last month, my trans won't go into 1st without fighting it, usually into second, then into first.

Good Luck

Oh, yeah, this all was covered before, so if you search for oil information, look for Dodge NV4500 trans oil info, you'll find a mass of info!

Lucas

Last edited by jpboyjeep; 10-28-2005 at 05:50 PM.
jpboyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3863
mines been doing the same thing if I try to shift fast into 3rd. I have some redline that I've been meaning to try but just never got around to putting it in. Maybe tomorrow.

BTW Hi lucas, didn't recognize the screen name.

Oh, and before anyone says anything, yes, my '98 TJ has a NV3550.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 21938
I was told that it is almost the same as the AX15. I don't know but someone will. anyway I tried redline and alll the others and found no difference. I would suggest GM syncromesh I got mine from rockland std. gear. Night and day difference. All the people I know who tried the other stuff all reported a problem simmilar to yours. I would also look into amsoil I allways have good luck with them.

Marc
rokspydr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 19682
I used to have a 2000 TJ with the NV 3550...Do you have a Detroit in the rear of your rig??? I had no shifting issues until I put a Detroit in the rear. Apparently the tranny doesn't like the slop in the the rear end that the Detroit generates. Solution was to shift slower or double clutch. I used Redline synthetic in it that made it much quieter also. It really was no problem, it just didn't like to be shifted fast in the first 3 gears. After the Detroit it liked to be driven like a truck.

Greg
Old 11-05-2005, 04:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 22531
Redline MTL

Thanks for the info on Redline MTL Guy's

Used it on 2 TJ's with NV3550's today.
What a dramatic improvement, the owners are really impressed.
Shift's smooth and cleanly.

I'll definately recomend this to anybody with shifting problems
Old 05-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Slab King

Member # 775225
blast from the past

Well it's FOREVER later and NV3550's are still a pain in the ass.

I've read a ton of threads on this and other forums about this I'm pretty sure I'm getting weird behavior that is slightly different than what 99% of people with 3550 issue experience.

I can get grinding in 1-3 gears, going into or out of them, shifting up and down, but the strange part is that when I'm in gear and driving, if I press in the clutch it'll grind.

This is annoying on road, but as long as I forget completely about downshifting into any gear and I upshift comically slowly and gently I can get around with slight synchro grinding here and there.

Off road, it's a big issue. For example, first gear, climbing steep rocks, feathering the clutch, it's tons of grinding. Same in reverse. Even in 2nd gear off road, just clutching in to slow down a little gets tons of grinding. I have to put it in neutral, clutch out, then shift back into gear.

So it sucks quite bad and needs a fix asap.

This behavior just started about 6 weeks ago.

The trans only has 10k miles on it, was a crate unit bought new.

It had synchromesh in it the first 8500 miles, then it sat for a year.

Then filled it with new synchromesh, and it drove fine for 1200 miles.

Now the grinding.

I drained the fluid and replaced with Redline MT. Slightly better but still an issue.

I've read about kerosene flushes, and rebuilding with new synchros.

The main question I have though, is why does it grind when in gear once the clutch is depressed? All the bitching about this trans I've come across is grinding going into or out of gear but mine will grind without touching the shifter, just coasting and pressing the clutch.

Is this particular trans toasted, or just need a rebuild?
Are 3550's always going to do this?
Am I crazy for not just throwing a 4L60 in it?
Is there another fix besides the kerosene flush and Redline fluid I should know about?
Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 35484
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonJeep View Post
Well it's FOREVER later and NV3550's are still a pain in the ass.

I've read a ton of threads on this and other forums about this I'm pretty sure I'm getting weird behavior that is slightly different than what 99% of people with 3550 issue experience.

I can get grinding in 1-3 gears, going into or out of them, shifting up and down, but the strange part is that when I'm in gear and driving, if I press in the clutch it'll grind.

This is annoying on road, but as long as I forget completely about downshifting into any gear and I upshift comically slowly and gently I can get around with slight synchro grinding here and there.

Off road, it's a big issue. For example, first gear, climbing steep rocks, feathering the clutch, it's tons of grinding. Same in reverse. Even in 2nd gear off road, just clutching in to slow down a little gets tons of grinding. I have to put it in neutral, clutch out, then shift back into gear.

So it sucks quite bad and needs a fix asap.

This behavior just started about 6 weeks ago.

The trans only has 10k miles on it, was a crate unit bought new.

It had synchromesh in it the first 8500 miles, then it sat for a year.

Then filled it with new synchromesh, and it drove fine for 1200 miles.

Now the grinding.

I drained the fluid and replaced with Redline MT. Slightly better but still an issue.

I've read about kerosene flushes, and rebuilding with new synchros.

The main question I have though, is why does it grind when in gear once the clutch is depressed? All the bitching about this trans I've come across is grinding going into or out of gear but mine will grind without touching the shifter, just coasting and pressing the clutch.

Is this particular trans toasted, or just need a rebuild?
Are 3550's always going to do this?
Am I crazy for not just throwing a 4L60 in it?
Is there another fix besides the kerosene flush and Redline fluid I should know about?
As mentioned in the original post I would look into clutch drag. If the hydraulics or clutch are not completely disengaging the clutch the tranny is still spinning.
williamj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in