TOTW: Ford 302 engine swaps - Page 114 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #2826 (permalink)

Member # 386730
If you have the wrong oxygen sensor harness for the computer you are running and you burn a trace, you are probably running in limp mode. The computer will be guessing what it needs to do and not using the sensors. You need to look up how to configure the oxygen sensor harness for the computer you are running and get the trace fixed in the computer. You might also burn up your CAT if you run it that way too long as the engine will error on the side of rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Is this why I cannot read codes any more? I was able to fit the first month, but now I get a no communication error on the scan tool. It runs great though, other than rich and some spark rattle on reg gas at 10* timing... I believe it is rich from running cast truck manifolds on the speed density ECU..

And and goo suggestions for an engine skid mounting for a CJ?
StoneTower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2016, 06:18 AM   #2827 (permalink)

Member # 268098
As long as I didn't good and mix them up, it is the auto one I got with the ECU and harnesses.. Only thing I reused on the manual engine was the fuel injector harness, which I compared pinouts and it worked out OK.
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2016, 11:06 PM   #2828 (permalink)

Member # 386730
Do a search and see if your computer communication problems are due to a burnt trace. When I got mine, I was having al kinds of problems and until I figured out that the guy who did the swap screwed up I was chasing my tail. I had to change a few wires, modify the oxygen sensor harness, and get a different computer.
StoneTower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 11:53 PM   #2829 (permalink)

Member # 124887

Last edited by throttlejocky316; 05-17-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Didnt mean to post
throttlejocky316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #2830 (permalink)

Member # 736761
Question

help 1997 mountaineer 5.0 engine harness wiring diagram
jeepexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #2831 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepexplorer View Post
help 1997 mountaineer 5.0 engine harness wiring diagram
Hopefully this will help you out.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler. - ClassicBroncos.com Forums

Explorer OBD2 Harness Re-work - ClassicBroncos.com Forums
kpj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #2832 (permalink)

Member # 448162
Well looks like its time to resume the 302 swap. Brought my 95 YJ to my new house 5 hours away and got the garage set up.

Ive figured out how to adapt the fuel lines thanks to hack fab (going with AN hoses and fittings)

I think i have A jeep master cyl and ford slave so that should work.
I just got the shorty mustang headers bolted on. Well one bolt i could get threaded but i have a feeling i might be switching them out with truck manifolds we'll see. See pics.

I used novaks ax-15 transmission mount and made my own cross member for it.

Went with AA for the engine mounts

Here we see an ugly pump and bracket that i will need to research a bit more regarding the best replacement. (wont be running a/c)

Im using the ax-15 and np231 quite happy with where its placed. But i might buy novaks shifter kit for the t-case maybe this will work tho. I think it was the shift linkage from the ax-5 that was in the jeep.

Not sure what this cylinder is exactly but im sure the 5L doesnt need it so im going to remove it

Last edited by stevedude19; 05-16-2017 at 01:53 PM.
stevedude19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #2833 (permalink)

Member # 448162
Today im going to plug the thermactor ports which is a bitch to do, and then im going to stare at all the wiring i have. Also i removed the egr spacer and discovered i will need a new throttle body as the linkage for the valve is busted/missing

There is also i port in the back and front of the lower intake that i am not sure what to do about.

Here are my other jeeps

A huge thanks goes to everyone who has summited info in this thread. Especially HackFab!

Last edited by stevedude19; 05-16-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #2834 (permalink)

Member # 70509
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedude19 View Post
A huge thanks goes to everyone who has summited info in this thread. Especially HackFab!
Thanks! I don't hang out here much. I finally got it all put together and on the road:

Last edited by Hackfabricaton; 05-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Hackfabricaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #2835 (permalink)

Member # 448162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackfabricaton View Post
Thanks! I don't hang out here much. I finally got it all put together and on the road:

Right on man got any walk around videos or a youtube channel or anything like that?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #2836 (permalink)

Member # 70509
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedude19 View Post
Right on man got any walk around videos or a youtube channel or anything like that?
Not right now. I've been super busy all this year with home repair and other things. I plan on doing a walk around video before the end of summer. Still have a few touch up things to get done on it.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:40 AM   #2837 (permalink)

Member # 100850
So I started my 5.0 swap on my tj a while ago and I did a stand alone harness from a stock 1990 harness I hooked everything up and now Iím not getting spark. If I ground out pin 5 on the tfi not connected to the distributor I can get spark at the coil. Tfi is new as is the Ecu and the whole distributor and coil. When the key is on my fuel pump runs for a few seconds and shuts off. I have done a bunch of testing and every thing seems to check out and I have power to the coil with the key in run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cj7on44's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #2838 (permalink)

Member # 70509
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7on44's View Post
So I started my 5.0 swap on my tj a while ago and I did a stand alone harness from a stock 1990 harness I hooked everything up and now I’m not getting spark.
Had a similar issue when I first started mine. Assuming you've made all the connections correctly, it's time to run Joel's test protocol: How to Solve an EFI No Start

If the Hall Effect pickup - PIP (inside the distributor) goes out, you will get a no start. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...or-pickup.html Here's a good test protocol too: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/...module-tests-1 Test #4 on page three covers it.

That is what was dead on mine. It's a minor PITA to replace, as you will need to remove the distributor, press off the gear (it's also pinned to the shaft), and pull the shaft out. All to get at the plate. Then reassemble getting the gear lined up with the pin hole.

Last edited by Hackfabricaton; 12-05-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Hackfabricaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #2839 (permalink)

Member # 100850
Quote:
Had a similar issue when I first started mine. Assuming you've made all the connections correctly, it's time to run Joel's test protocol: How to Solve an EFI No Start

If the Hall Effect pickup - PIP (inside the distributor) goes out, you will get a no start. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...or-pickup.html Here's a good test protocol too: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/...module-tests-1 Test #4 on page three covers it.

That is what was dead on mine. It's a minor PITA to replace, as you will need to remove the distributor, press off the gear (it's also pinned to the shaft), and pull the shaft out. All to get at the plate. Then reassemble getting the gear lined up with the pin hole.

Thanks for the reply! I got it running last night. I had 2 of my wires on the tfi mixed up got them where they go and it fired right up. Had my little boy start it for the first fire up and he about jumped out of the seat when it started .

Old 12-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #2840 (permalink)

Member # 100850
Quote:

Thanks for the reply! I got it running last night. I had 2 of my wires on the tfi mixed up got them where they go and it fired right up. Had my little boy start it for the first fire up and he about jumped out of the seat when it started .

Old 07-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #2841 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
Alright, I have read through this thread a few times over the years, and am curious what people are using for headers when swapped into a Cherokee or Comanche? I should be placing my 96 Mountaineer 5.0 in my Comanche over the next couple of weeks. I will be using RuffStuff 5.0 build your own motor mounts, factory XJ radiator and fuel pump from a 4.0 HO Jeep and the exhaust is the only real question I have right now. When I did this swap on my TJ years ago, I used some BBK shorties and was planning on starting there again unless anyone has another opinion.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #2842 (permalink)

Member # 181040
I have been reading for hours, with no luck. I have a 302 from a 94 bronco, it is maf. I have everything with it from the donor truck. I am trying to keep the cost down and the swap clean. The only thing I am stuck on is wiring. I have the original harness, but would rather go to an aftermarket to keep it clean, and simple. Does anyone know of one out there? painless is strictly for mustang ecm, maf sensors, and distributors. I would rather not have to buy all that just to not have to use the oem harness. Is there any benefit to using that ignition system over the 94 bronco? seems all the info available is for foxbody and some explorer 5.0's. thanks!
theryans33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #2843 (permalink)

Member # 181040
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpj View Post
Alright, I have read through this thread a few times over the years, and am curious what people are using for headers when swapped into a Cherokee or Comanche? I should be placing my 96 Mountaineer 5.0 in my Comanche over the next couple of weeks. I will be using RuffStuff 5.0 build your own motor mounts, factory XJ radiator and fuel pump from a 4.0 HO Jeep and the exhaust is the only real question I have right now. When I did this swap on my TJ years ago, I used some BBK shorties and was planning on starting there again unless anyone has another opinion.
I am using a set of sanderson ceramic coated headers. Its going in a cj, and they are tight af to the block, I dont see why they wouldnt work for your application too. Ive had these on an ls before, and they are definitely my header of choice.
theryans33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #2844 (permalink)
kpj
Rock God

Member # 6920
Are there any options for making the tach work on an XJ or TJ gage cluster? I am cutting down a wiring harness from a 97 Mercury Mountaineer and would like to use the 99 XJ factory gage cluster I have installed in my Comanche. When I did this swap years ago into my 97 TJ, I got everything to work, except for the tach. I am trying to plan ahead now for my options. Thanks in advance, hopefully.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #2845 (permalink)

Member # 268098
[QUOTE=stevedude19;40762946]

I think i have A jeep master cyl and ford slave so that should work....
/QUOTE]

I know this is a year or 2 old or so, but I figured I'd put this in here. I tried that, and the bore of the CJ/YJ master is too small, 3/4" I believe, and the bore of the Ford slave is 1". I had to use the Novak slave.

Quote:
I have been reading for hours, with no luck. I have a 302 from a 94 bronco, it is maf. I have everything with it from the donor truck. I am trying to keep the cost down and the swap clean. The only thing I am stuck on is wiring. I have the original harness, but would rather go to an aftermarket to keep it clean, and simple. Does anyone know of one out there? painless is strictly for mustang ecm, maf sensors, and distributors. I would rather not have to buy all that just to not have to use the oem harness. Is there any benefit to using that ignition system over the 94 bronco? seems all the info available is for foxbody and some explorer 5.0's. thanks!
Don't they offer a non-HO version? Look up Ron Francis wiring.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #2846 (permalink)

Member # 268098
OK, I have a question on this swap now...

I have the MORE Bombproof mounts, and they come with poly bushings. I would rather have rubber, as they are more absorbent of vibrations, but they do not offer them.

Does anyone know where to find these only made of rubber?

https://mountainoffroad.com/collecti...-4-x3-4-x1-1-2
Old 09-25-2019, 05:35 AM   #2847 (permalink)

Member # 3074
Send a message via AIM to jeepbrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
OK, I have a question on this swap now...

I have the MORE Bombproof mounts, and they come with poly bushings. I would rather have rubber, as they are more absorbent of vibrations, but they do not offer them.

Does anyone know where to find these only made of rubber?

https://mountainoffroad.com/collecti...-4-x3-4-x1-1-2
I ended up running a similar-style rubber bushings in mine, and after a couple of rides the bushings were shot. Switched back to poly and haven't had an issue since. That said, if it were me, I'd stick with the poly bushings MORE provided.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #2848 (permalink)

Member # 268098
Ok, too bad. Was hoping they'd have been better...

Thanks for sharing your experience and saving me some time and work.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in