Project: Dookey! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Project: Dookey!

Introducing my junk! I started with it stock. Bought a 4 cylinder wrangler back in Ott3. Started building it in Ott4 and ended up with this in Ott5.

You can read what's up with that hunk here.

http://www.thedoubleduke.com/103.htm

I stripped almost everything. Leaving the seats and what nots. Replaced all my armor and started over. The 4 cylinder just wasn't cutting it. 4cyl, ax5, 231, to 4.88s?? Yea it sucked! So I ended up with this worthless piece of tub again and started my new list.

I called up BTF and got some new stuff on the way. Armor, new bumper, grill stuff. I picked up a 14 bolt rear(now equipped with BTF disk brakes) Chevy D60 front, and my new drive train.

Sorry for the crappy camera phone pic. Only had the engine for a couple days.

I'm in the process of ripping out my 4 cylinder this weekend and hopefully get the LT1 stuffed in place. Sticking with the 4l60e via Art Carr shifter, and running a cable shifted Dana 300.

This is where my junk sits now. 105" WB, no tranny, no brakes, chocks, and a weed eater.

The 14bolt is stuffed under the rear and the disc brakes are installed. I shaved the rear diff like this and going to match the BTF diff cover.

Just trying to catch up on my installs since a couple people have requested it. I will post more as I go along.
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 50639
What made you decide to run leafs in the rear vs. coils?
Rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
I run with a couple leaf sprung rear rigs. That's what started my first stretch. I'm really happy with the way they work for the types of terrain I wheel and my wheeling style. They add tons of stability over coils and I'm going with it unless it doesn't work the same as it did.

I'm running a stock XJ leaf pack with an RE AAL. They flex well, ride well on road, and are very predictable. I'm going with coilovers in the front this time.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 50639
Cool man - thanks for the reply. I'm keeping an eye on your thread... Looks like a cool build.
Rattlecan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14196
Send a message via AIM to wes8517 Send a message via MSN to wes8517 Send a message via Yahoo to wes8517
what wheels are those? i really like the look of em

looks good, keep us updated
Old 06-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
The first rims pictured are hutchinson Rock Monster Double beadlocks.

http://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/

Last edited by Dookey; 06-02-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 68712
always loved your rig...cant wait to see it when its done

really would love more info on your rear suspension set-up

and ummm...if your selling any parts...let me know

thanks

Chris
toastedsogood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2006, 04:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
I will take some detailed pics of the rear suspension setup and how I did it all. It was cheap and fairly simple.

I still have my old axles for sale. They would be bolt in ready for a TJ wanting to do the rear leafs and my 4cylinder axle is up for grabs in case anybody wanted to make a gokart or something
Old 06-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Just got my 4 cylinder pulled. Even taped all the connections.

More pics tonight
Old 06-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680

Working on it tomorrow to figure out what needs to stay in the stock harness. Pulling everything and using the computer/harness that came with the vehicle. Wiring up a whole new dash too once I get my manuals for the LT1.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 64536
Nice rig very interrested to see this engine swap....looking into replacing my 4 banger with a SBC...Keep it up..!
tjbeach113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 06:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 48100
Good to see a new buildup thread, looks like you are coming along........
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
alright got to some more non tech stuff. I decided I was going to learn how to paint so I bought a gun and read some stuff. Started sanding today with 320 grit and the D/A. Got my junk all smoothed out!

After fixing a spot in my hood from trail damage I shot my first coat of primer. I'm really pleased for my first attempt at a semi-pro HVLP Harbor Freight gun.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 36852
Send a message via AIM to biggreentj
hey man, i look forward to seeing the paint job, so i assume u plan on getting a new windshield? not much taping off huh
biggreentj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
yea. My windshield is cracked up pretty bad so it is getting replaced. I sure wasn't about to tape it off.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Nice!!! What paint are you shooting, and going to clearcoat??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
I am using a 1 stage urathane that has base and clear in it. If it isn't shiney enough I can always run more clear over it. I have less than 300 in all my painting supplies for a finished product. I just looked up the name and it is gunmetal pearl which is supposed to be some factory color but I can't find which manufacturer uses it.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 64636
Hey Mvd, Thats a pretty good looking rig I saw it oh I dunno about a month or two ago I was out seeing Dirk and picking up a new ps pump from him, I bought his old p-pump off him, I'm excited to see your build up on the board, I'm on a Tj build myself but it's got it's differences, one of these days if I ever get mine done I may come out there and wheel with you guys, btw it's nice to see some ppl around that know how to build sh!t, the guys at the other place off road *@*@*!!!* shop aren't really my favs sometimes I wonder if they know what 4-wheeling is, anyways nice work so far Hope to see ya driving around in sometime in the somewhat near future maybe on the trails I'll be the Tj on the huuuge tires

keep up the good work
-Kenny
Tjeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Hey Kenny. Sorry I missed you the day you were at the shop. Don't be a stranger!

I got my first coat down tonight. I was getting toooo much paint so I backed it off and it got much better. Going to sand down my runs tomorrow and hit coat 2 and 3. Hard to tell the color in the dark. I will take better pictures tomorrow.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 39627
I dont know much about paint, but wouldnt it make more sense to remove the parts bafore you spray. Like the door, rocker guards, tube bumper????
Old 06-24-2006, 12:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 8932
Damn Andy, I was hopin you would have this thing done by now. I wanna see this thing done!! Lookin like your makin some progress and that is always a good thing.

Did you narrow the 14?? Just looks skinnier than I thought it would be. If you didnt, it will look mo betta after you get those big meats on there.

Keep it goin and we can wheel again.

85 Runner, built O.K. I guess, waiting for 1 tons!!!
FatA$$ Toyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 42809
Another paint question...what did you use to remove all the sanding dust?

[QUOTE=robbybobby;9644636]duh bro- momentium.....i have my own special technique- haul Mother F-ng balls at the hill till i am standing alone at the gawd danged top.....[/QUOTE]
muddy_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsport
I dont know much about paint, but wouldnt it make more sense to remove the parts bafore you spray. Like the door, rocker guards, tube bumper????

The advice I was given and the way I believe it to be is I need to leave all them on so the paint matches and blends properly. The front tube bumper is welded on and doesn't come off but the doors will come off when I paint the door seals. The front bumper, grill hoop, and stinger are getting repainted along with the front grill, frame, and cage. So I wasn't so concerned with overspray.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatA$$ Toyota
Damn Andy, I was hopin you would have this thing done by now. I wanna see this thing done!! Lookin like your makin some progress and that is always a good thing.

Did you narrow the 14?? Just looks skinnier than I thought it would be. If you didnt, it will look mo betta after you get those big meats on there.

Keep it goin and we can wheel again.

I was hoping it would be finished by now as well. I started a new project with work that requires me to work nights and I'm still keeping up my normal rotation of customers so my work schedule hasn't allowed me to do much.

The 14 bolt is still the 67.5" wide. Those roller rims have 5.5-6" of backspacing so it looks narrow. I'm shooting for 3.5-3" of backspacing on my beadlocks so it will get out there.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_xj
Another paint question...what did you use to remove all the sanding dust?

After sanding with 320 grit there was tons of dust every where. I bought some soft diaper rags to knock most of the dust off using Wax and Grease remover. Once I got all of it knocked off I went over the whole surface with and dry rag to get the streaks out then hit it again with clean rags and the wax and grease remover. The advice given to me is if I want it to stick it has to be clean so I tried my best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in