TJ rockwell build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 37430
TJ rockwell build

I havn't been seeing a lot of build threads recently so i figured i'd post up a little about what i'm doing, i don't typically consider my fab work up to par with a lot of you on here so take it easy on my but any constructive criticism is appreciated. I picked up a set of 2.5ton rockwells, I'm keeping the motor, tranny and transfer case stock for now unfortunately, i wish i could change it but i just graduated highschool going into college so my budget is very limited. I'm almost done linking up the front end, building it with 2x2x.25 box tube and RE style flex joints and running a single upper off of the passenger side lower kinda like the RE longarm kit but with just one upper. The rear will be a 1 link setup built with 2x4x.25 box tube with a evolution machine 1.25 chomoly heim joint. It's looking like i'll be at around 120 inches of wheelbase, and with the 41 inch michelin XLs i picked up today that should put the tires out beyond the frame rails front and rear for zero approach and departure angles, yes i know the tires suck but like i said i'm on a budget and these were cheap, i'll change to 44 boggers/TSLs or 47LTBs later when i win the lottery.

MudTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2006, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 37430
While i was at it and waiting on parts i decided my roll cage was not adeqate and that i should scrap my ghetto seat brakets that held my seats to the stock sliders. Yes the cage is poop pipe, cant afford DOM nor can i afford the bender for it, but pipe and a HF Pipe bender was cheap. Added a harness bar, dash bar and tied the seats to the cage in addition to what i had already done a while back, i think this stiffened things up a lot, yea i know, there is no triangulation but i'll deal with that later along with frame tie ins.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48100
That was nice of you to keep austins ass in that last picture.
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 37430
If i knew how to crop a picture or even work a digital camera correctly i would have gotten rid of that, but i'm too technology retarded.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 48100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudTJ
If i knew how to crop a picture or even work a digital camera correctly i would have gotten rid of that, but i'm too technology retarded.
At least you are not mechanically inclined. Time is ticking for Morris Mountain.......
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 37430
Made a little progress

i forgot to get a good picture of it but you can kinda see the orbital valve mounted to the back of the stock shock tower. I also go the coils mounted since i took the pictures, and yes i know the short ass trackbar sucks but it'll have to work for now.

one question, does anyone know what size threads the studs are that hold the upper kingpin cap on?

Last edited by MudTJ; 07-24-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trail Tampon

Member # 27333
looks real good

since you post more pics here than on smjc, ill subscribe to this one too
rajincajingt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2006, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 37430
well i burnt up my chopsaw so i couldn't build my rearend tonight like i wanted. I got some other shit done tonight that needed to be done, made my front driveshaft, finished the front pinion brake and mounted the rear also. I'll go get a new chopsaw tomorrow and mount the rearend and i'm also gonna pick up a hydro cylinder and get the steering finished up. Here's some pictures...

And the best, my barbershop pole paint job on my driveshaft... i was bored

And i still need to know what size threads are in the top of the knuckles, anyone?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
HOORAY BEER

Member # 21679
Send a message via AIM to Tolly Send a message via MSN to Tolly Send a message via Yahoo to Tolly
Looks like you have some potential there. I suggest you clean up your metal a bit more. Grinding is fun and chicks dig it.
I am assuming you are not done with that front spring mount?

On a side note, the mess in your shop would drive me nuts. Get the old lady to pick up some :-)
Old 07-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 43646
Interesting build.....

The pictures are more fun to look at then others. I could browse them for hours looking for random shit...

Are you done with that spring pad?
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 37430
no i'm gonna add a brace on the backside of the spring pad to strengthen it up a little. Yea i know in the first pictures the garage is a wreck, i cleaned up yesterday before i got started working cause all the junk was starting to piss me off. Also i do usually clean the paint off the are i'm about to weld with a wire wheel on my angle grinder, all the brown on the control arms and frame is primer not rust just to clear that up.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 86742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Interesting build.....

The pictures are more fun to look at then others. I could browse them for hours looking for random shit...

Are you done with that spring pad?
Just curious is this project done? I see its been a few years...I was having a blast reading and looking at the pictures. I love the OSHA approved foot wear!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 135736
Bringing this thing back from the DEAD. My brother bought this and plans on cleaning it up and redoing a few things. All and in all this was a solid jeep that MudTJ did a great job on. Were taking it to SMORR this weekend and will get pictures and videos to update this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
COPPERHEAD42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
ROKRAPR

Member # 63382
Send a message via AIM to Diablo169
I hope you fix that awful wristed radius arm set up and convert it to either full radius arms, or 3 link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"14 Bolt don't give a shit. It takes what it wants."
-Little Sluice Memorial Weekend 2012
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 135736
Jeep worked great at smorr.
YouTube - Crawling at SMORR

Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 133869
What kind of motor is in it now? doesnt sound like the 4.0

And do you have any underbelly shots of it? id like to see that 1 link mount

-Alex
alehandro3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 135736
It has the 4.0. Ill get some pictures of the 1 link setup. It worked really well.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo169 View Post
I hope you fix that awful wristed radius arm set up and convert it to either full radius arms, or 3 link.

Agreed. I'd go to town on that hill-billie suspension with a plasma cutter and a sledge hammer. Maybe put some wheel brakes on it? Sorry not a fan of the pinion brake but to each his own.

Good ideas to begin with (even though this thread is 5 years old), but the execution of the single radius arm, the pipe cage, angle iron coil spring mounts and 1 link all bring the suck.

Hopefully as a new owner you will unfawk this suspension.

FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 232886
very nice!
BobberJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in