TJ Cage Inspiration Thread - Page 20 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #476 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Really dig it, but the gauge will get decapitated in its current location. May wnat to do a remote mount with a flex hose?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #477 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34591
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.R.K View Post
One of the first cages in this thread that would want to change. Great design
What is the story for 1" tube out back and the welded eyelets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep View Post
Bitchin' design

eyelets prob for harnesses and 1"tubing probably for rack? me likey a lots!
Thanks guys. Miguelitojeep nailed it. The eyelets are for the clip-in harnesses and the 1" tubing is for a bestop basket.

rkik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #478 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143697
i can put a plug in and move it. It was was testing the cage

12v Chase Truck

LS Jeep on Tons
Team 4485 Genright
jeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #479 (permalink)

Member # 78968
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep09 View Post
Simple dual purpose weekend warrior cage, its also my air tank for OBA. It holds 4.7 gallons
I really like the looks of that Genright cage, I will probably copy a few of the contours of the design for mine.

Good job welding it together.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #480 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkik View Post
The eyelets are for the clip-in harnesses and the 1" tubing is for a bestop basket.
I guess I should have been more specific. The eyelets are different heights. Is that to match up with the slits in the seats or is something else going on?
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...

Last edited by B.A.R.K; 03-22-2011 at 05:47 AM.
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #481 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34591
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.R.K View Post
I guess I should have been more specific. The eyelets are different heights. Is that to match up with the slits in the seats or is something else going on?
The ones located low on both the passenger and driver side are for my girlfriend who is 5 2 and yes for her the straps will come through the slits in the seats and both shoulder straps will clip into the single eyelet. The one located high on the driver side along with the tab are for me and the shoulder belts will come over the seats. I am 6 2.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #482 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
Quote:
Thanks guys. Miguelitojeep nailed it.
what do I win! Looks awesome! Def subscribed to your thread, might be copying your design. Would love to have a rack in the back for all my junk

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #483 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143697
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hi2c View Post
I really like the looks of that Genright cage, I will probably copy a few of the contours of the design for mine.

Good job welding it together.
Thanks, it is a Genright with a couple small changes

12v Chase Truck

LS Jeep on Tons
Team 4485 Genright
Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #484 (permalink)

Member # 123044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep09 View Post
Thanks, it is a Genright with a couple small changes
That is the same way I did mine, but I started with the Poison Spyder cage, I have almost the exact same changes you have. Nice work.
Slangy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #485 (permalink)

Member # 28865
Great thread, I must have went through it 8 times last week before adding to my cage. Other than running out of tube, I was able to get the main pieces in am still able to use my door surrounds and soft top. The front dimensions I used for bending up the A pillar brackets were 31" through the dash, then up 16" and back 8.75". This put my bends close enough to the stock location to be able to trim the door surrounds and still fit them. The 20 deg kick for the B to C bars worked like a charm, thanks for that! The rear is not finish so you'll have to imagine spreaders mimicking the front in the back

I'm 6' tall and have about 5.5" above my head in the stock TJ seat. I set my bends up at up 3.5" and back 8" to get as much head room as I could for the B to A spreaders. I also jogged the right and left side in a little to keep the tubes from going over my head.

Seats/harnesses are next along with hip bars to tie A to B along the base.
My intent is to keep the rear seat so I'm lacking the lateral support that I should have. I'm looking for suggestions on how to add lateral support without making it impossible to use the rear seat. Need to keep it kid friendly for trips to the ice cream shop
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #486 (permalink)

Member # 93203
this is my cage not really to complex but it was my first go around with tube bending so i kept it fairly simple.

seat mounts

then put 4 snap on the front of the roll cage to run a safari top while wheeling

Donkey Motorsports
Ill have another race rig one of these days.

Special Thanks

wheelin352 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #487 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Cool add on the snaps, I hated all the zip ties I had on mine

geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #488 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Mine that Dave at Gulf Coast Crawl Shop in Houston built ... it just went to get powder coated.

Very nice cage. What's the deal with the splice in the A piller?

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #489 (permalink)

Member # 63280
Send a message via MSN to brooksy1
I'd say short on tube length. But if it was me I would have cut the roof tube back a bit further up the A=pillar & run a full length internal sleeve tube & welded it up. Join seems bit too close to bend to be able to run a good length sleeve either side of join.

brooksy
Old 03-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #490 (permalink)

Member # 8335
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
Very nice cage. What's the deal with the splice in the A piller?
The splice makes mulit-plane bends easier. Cheater splice

I had to do the same thing on my c-pillar just like they did.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #491 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by WideJ View Post
The splice makes mulit-plane bends easier. Cheater splice

I had to do the same thing on my c-pillar just like they did.
Looks like there is another splice at the top of the C piller.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #492 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34591
A-pillar so that we could dial in the height just right while checking multiple seat positions/angles. C-pillar so that we could eyeball the angle and length in multiple positions till we liked it.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #493 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
Quote:
Originally Posted by feva4u View Post
G I'm looking for suggestions on how to add lateral support without making it impossible to use the rear seat. Need to keep it kid friendly for trips to the ice cream shop:
What about the kid's trips on the trails? Where are your priorities? Dont mean to rant. Also I had thought about this too. I never use my rear seat anyways, plus I put susp seats and harnesses in which mean they cant go through the inside anyway. Plus your jeep is tall, its going to be a PITA not matter what getting in that back seat. Might as well make the cage strong. You could do one lateral on the B-pillar to have access to the rear seat from passenger side...

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 03:00 AM   #494 (permalink)

Member # 28865
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep View Post
What about the kid's trips on the trails? Where are your priorities? Dont mean to rant. Also I had thought about this too. I never use my rear seat anyways, plus I put susp seats and harnesses in which mean they cant go through the inside anyway. Plus your jeep is tall, its going to be a PITA not matter what getting in that back seat. Might as well make the cage strong. You could do one lateral on the B-pillar to have access to the rear seat from passenger side...
I get the kid thing. I don't have any of my own yet so they won't be on the trail with me in the immediate future. I would like to be able to take my neice and nephew to get ice cream when they want to though. We really don't have trails in the midwest where going over is an issue. The only time the cage should come into play is at a park and I usually don't have anyone in besides myself at that time anyway. I get what you're saying though. I'll look at it some more and see what I can do. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #495 (permalink)

Member # 23294
This thread has been an excellent source of information on cage builds, thanks for those who posed pics......
I have a quick question, when designing a cage what do you allow for head clearance? I just built a cage that fits around the half cab hard top on my scramber. The main hoop is mighty close to my mellon and I am out of spece to move bars around.

Last edited by RaisedRover91; 03-23-2011 at 07:38 AM.
RaisedRover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #496 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143697
My build items I tried to work with were:
- LOG - achieved with 2" lift on 40's
-Keep the tank underneath -The Rollcage design was for this reason too
-increase rear wheelbase "101" (plans to push front about another 5" out front)-tank becomes an obstacle
-last but important was to TRY and have a rear seat, modified to acomadate my ORI strut towers
-The lateral B-pillar bar is an obstacle, harness mount and cage support

12v Chase Truck

LS Jeep on Tons
Team 4485 Genright

Last edited by jeep09; 03-23-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #497 (permalink)

Member # 139080
Quote:
Mine that Dave at Gulf Coast Crawl Shop in Houston built ... it just went to get powder coated.

Got to see rkik's in person while my POS was getting worked on, it's totally bad ass.
terrahawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #498 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 120189
New cage

Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #499 (permalink)

Member # 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
This is the first cage I've seen with front cross bar supports that seems to allow the use of a rear view mirror (ie DD compatible ). Can anyone fault the spread of the bars for strength?

Paul
nasvik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #500 (permalink)

Member # 93732
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasvik View Post
This is the first cage I've seen with front cross bar supports that seems to allow the use of a rear view mirror (ie DD compatible ). Can anyone fault the spread of the bars for strength?

Paul
Agreed, they usually form a /\ but since mine will be similar to this I'm interested in the responses.

Or how about anyone's input on an X in the windshield frame? Going this route would allow someone to tie into their spreader bars and then also into some tubing that will be in the engine compartment.

And wouldn't an X would give you the best vision out of the window?
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in