TJ Cage Inspiration Thread - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 14233
i think this is B pillar triangulation, X behind the seats??.....
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 26188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Extreme Jeep View Post
Triangulation in the B pillar is something alot of you dont seem to take seriously. I also see alot of excessive cage work up high. Some of these cages would weigh more than the chassis. COG is too high.
Couple of good dones for inspiration. But there is no such thing as a perfect cage. Or is there?

Mines not done yet, here's where it should be soon. (excuse the crappy chop)

powdr7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 14233
found some petter pics

Old 12-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 8108
Quote:
Originally Posted by powdr7 View Post
Mines not done yet, here's where it should be soon. (excuse the crappy chop)
May I ask why not support the rear u-shaped hoop at the ends better? It would look much better and be stronger if the legs went from the bend starts on the U and went down to the bend starts on the down tubes near the C-pillar area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

570-385-3931--shop
570-385-3932--fax

MADE IN AMERICA---and proud of it!!!

Like us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on

We also offer the best service and prices available on:
Advance Adapters
Clayton Offroad Suspension
Raceline beadlocks wheels
ORI struts and Radflo shocks
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 26188
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post
May I ask why not support the rear u-shaped hoop at the ends better? It would look much better and be stronger if the legs went from the bend starts on the U and went down to the bend starts on the down tubes near the C-pillar area.
Something of that sort is in the works. We're messing with ideas on how to get it supported and keep it looking clean. In retrospect, the "U" should have been made a bit bigger and then the tubes going from it down would be done easier and cleaner looking.

It'll probably get a gusset in there, or we'll run a tube down to the rear, or sides.
powdr7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 14233
TTT for some more fun
Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #132 (permalink)
hater

Member # 9900
Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 18861
Send a message via AIM to Rastus Send a message via Yahoo to Rastus
bump for a good thread

Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 11:04 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 14812
A customer wanted me to build him a PSC style cage. The only way I'd do it would be though the dash:
Attached Images

Last edited by OKIE ZUK; 01-11-2008 at 07:05 PM.
OKIE ZUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 18861
Send a message via AIM to Rastus Send a message via Yahoo to Rastus
Ok, question or two for you cage builders..
Is it better for the "B" pillar to be one piece and bring everything to it, or better for the "A" hoop to be one piece and the "B" pillar to be one piece and build to both?

I really like the cage the BTF did for Apeters jeep, and going through all the pics on his build and pic links it looks like the "B" pillar was bent and then all other tube was bent to attach to the "B" pillar.

I'm replacing the cage in my jeep in the next 2-3 weekends and I prefer strength over looks but I'm trying for both.

Last edited by Rastus; 01-08-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 AM   #136 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho View Post
Forgot about this. Mine in and done.

That is an awesome cage. Clean, simple and strong. I look at a bunch of cages on Pirate and see way too much irrelevant tubework. Nice strait clean tubework is where its at. Extra bends, "style" etc are a sign of weakness, and require too much additional tubing for strength.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 AM   #137 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
Ok, question or two for you cage builders..
Is it better for the "B" pillar to be one piece and bring everything to it, or better for the "A" hoop to be one piece and the "B" pillar to be one piece and build to both?

I really like the cage the BTF did for Apeters jeep, and going through all the pics on his build and pic links it looks like the "B" pillar was bent and then all other tube was bent to attach to the "B" pillar.

I'm replacing the cage in my jeep in the next 2-3 weekends and I prefer strength over looks but I'm trying for both.

I do not think that there is any strength difference as long as quality materials and design are used. I have notice I snag less trees and crap when the a and c pillar (or down bars) are continuous.

& Blaine

Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #138 (permalink)
GiS

Member # 31285
95% of Jeeps in this thread do not run a rocker bar....How are you tying the cage into the frame without it? Obviously you could run a 90 deg piece of DOM from frame to flange and sandwich the body...but now you have 2 or 3 horizontal bars extending from the frame for you to get hung up on...Instead of a smooth hoop parallel to the frame, seems to me it would slide better..
Rock Posse Racing #686
Driver: Joey Weber
GiS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 14233
i have a small piece of tubing bent from the frame to sandwich the body. it is pretty tight to the body, never snagged on it yet. if i was to do it again i would cut the rockers and use tube like you are talking about.....
Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 17918
Send a message via AIM to imgonnasnap
I finally have something to add, thanks to stinkbug

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649141
Old 01-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 63225
It looks a little sparce on that long wheelbase. Is it done?
TeenyCAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #142 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgonnasnap View Post
I finally have something to add, thanks to stinkbug
too lazy to look at the other thread. What are the future plans for the rig? If it will remain approximately the height it is (~3") I think it will be fine. Also any pics near the dash? The lack of triangulation anywhere leads me to belive that this will be a low speed rock rig, or it will remain near stock.

& Blaine

Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 17918
Send a message via AIM to imgonnasnap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
too lazy to look at the other thread. What are the future plans for the rig? If it will remain approximately the height it is (~3") I think it will be fine. Also any pics near the dash? The lack of triangulation anywhere leads me to belive that this will be a low speed rock rig, or it will remain near stock.
Plans not posted in the other thread...

But it is going to be built as a mild wheeler/exploration rig. I'd like to be able to drive it to the trail few hundred miles away, wheel and come home. With that being said its primarily a rock crawler, with the occasional haul ass down the wash. I'm going to add some gussets at some point, but for my uses, I believe it will be enough. deffinitly not as hardcore as some rigs here, but i'm also looking for a wider use than those.

it will be getting at some point:
super 30/44 kit with ARB's
4:1 tcase, sye, cv shaft
35-37 inch tires max
3.5 RE long arm kit
cut whatever sheetmetal to fit the tires, add some tube fenders..
Old 02-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 67642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink_ View Post
Anyone got any more info on these? Very simple set up, I like it.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 69818
Send a message via AIM to tommaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiS View Post
95% of Jeeps in this thread do not run a rocker bar....How are you tying the cage into the frame without it? Obviously you could run a 90 deg piece of DOM from frame to flange and sandwich the body...but now you have 2 or 3 horizontal bars extending from the frame for you to get hung up on...Instead of a smooth hoop parallel to the frame, seems to me it would slide better..
If I get your question, here's how I did mine. This was mid-project, but you can see the feet of of the 4 tie-ins up front:

Underneath the 4 feet are plates immediately under-side with tie-ins at about a 45 degree angle into plates welded to the frame. With a BL, they're at roughly the angle of body mounts. I hit them, but they've never given me problems.

FWIW, the X goes right through the floor, welded to frame, and rears are also plated under & tied to frame.

I'm not really sure what my though process was behind putting the effort into the bolt-together plates for 6 points and just cutting the floor for the X. I think it was probably ease of installation since this was my first big (for me) fab project. I like to think it's probably stout enough that it won't matter.

I'm not a welder.

Hip bars are going in when I don't have to drive this thing to work.

Thanks Beat.

Tom
tommaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 91657
Do you guys put any rubber between the sandwich plates on the body, or just metal on metal?
chevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #147 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy79 View Post
Do you guys put any rubber between the sandwich plates on the body, or just metal on metal?
Mine are metal to metal, with a bushing under the sandwich plate.

& Blaine

Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #148 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:

I really like this cage. It looks strong as hell. I think I would have tried to connect the bottom of the X to the b-pillar, but that would only be to prevent cutting the floor. Might have to do some funky bending to get around the seats though. I do think the way the X is done here is stronger though.

& Blaine

Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 40015
Quote:
If I get your question, here's how I did mine. This was mid-project, but you can see the feet of of the 4 tie-ins up front:

Underneath the 4 feet are plates immediately under-side with tie-ins at about a 45 degree angle into plates welded to the frame. With a BL, they're at roughly the angle of body mounts. I hit them, but they've never given me problems.

FWIW, the X goes right through the floor, welded to frame, and rears are also plated under & tied to frame.

I'm not really sure what my though process was behind putting the effort into the bolt-together plates for 6 points and just cutting the floor for the X. I think it was probably ease of installation since this was my first big (for me) fab project. I like to think it's probably stout enough that it won't matter.

I'm not a welder.

Hip bars are going in when I don't have to drive this thing to work.

Thanks Beat.

Tom

This looks like the cage I built on here. It's good to see ideas floating around.
SLIPKOTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 98135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom1016 View Post
Anyone got any more info on these? Very simple set up, I like it.
x2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in