85-91 D60 Full Width in TJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12759
Send a message via AIM to Chris97TJ
85-91 D60 Full Width in TJ

I picked up an '88 HP D60 and I want to keep the build as simple as possible (ie. not cutting the tubes down). I want to run my existing coils and fabricate around this. I understand it requires a pro to weld to cast, got it.

But my main question is what kind of clearancing issues will I run into with this setup? Will I need to outboard my coil a bit on the drivers side? Pictures are appreciated.

Also before any of you fawkers start, I searched! I went back 38 pages, read probably 20 build ups, searched again, google'd and here I am with the same questions. Everyone and their sister runs a 78-79 D60. And no, I won't sell my axle and get a 78-79. Thanks.
Chris97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67642
Hmmm, sounds like a good idea.... a non 78-79 60 in a tj? I wonder? I guess you could pioneer and be the first to see if it'll work? Let us know!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 81654
Here's what I figured out, the reason I also did the 78-79 60, the drivers side tube is just long enough to squeeze a coil bucket and truss into. I tried to do a newer superduty Dana 60 under it and there just isn't enough room. I was going to build a complete flat truss from outside of knuckle to outside of knuckle to mount up coil buckets. Just an idea for ya.OR you can just do coilovers and call it good. Hope it turns out good for ya though.

(1st Annual Alpha Gorilla run 40 and under champion)
lockedupLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12759
Phantom, I'll keep ya posted.
LockedupLJ, great lookin rig man

Yeah the 2 guys I've seen do it, did just that. I'm just afraid I'll have to And I thought about capturing the coils if needed like the rockwell guys. I'd run coilovers in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive. If anyone's got cheap coilover secrets, please pass them along.

Last edited by Chris97TJ; 03-19-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12759
Anyone seen slightly skinnier coils (in diameter, so's not to hit the diff) that still have enough rigidness to them? Also is that the ONLY reason why folks don't run these in TJ's? Any issues with frame rails in the way?

Last edited by Chris97TJ; 03-19-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 85031
Send a message via AIM to Krazeeun
Chris I'm in the same boat as you... I've got a 88' F350 SRW... going FOX 2.5's though, they're cheaper than coilovers, maybe something you could look into?

[CENTER][B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/B][/CENTER]
Krazeeun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 05:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 62903
Send a message via AIM to prostock3
I HAVE a dana 60 in the front of my tj from a 87 seems to work fine ill get pics if thats what your asking.i have fox coilovers up front
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 85031
are there any problems with the driveshaft angle, as in side-side angle?

[CENTER][B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/B][/CENTER]
Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 24300
Shortening the front axle is not as bad as you think. I have done it with very basic tools, grinder, chop saw, sawzall...about 2 hours job. However, I used a 79 hp60 and cut the driver side 2.75", driveshaft is straight and coils fit well.
BlueAngel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 25263
I did this swap a few years ago........pretty easy. I could take a few pictures.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullTJ View Post
I did this swap a few years ago........pretty easy. I could take a few pictures.
I'd like to see some pics too.
baseballneal86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 51580
I'm putting a 95 D60 in a YJ and I have to shorten the longside to get the diff/pinion inside the frame rails so the driveshaft will fit. I would think the TJ's would have a similar problem.
MILLER RACING #26

3-time Dirt Riot Modified/Unlimited Trail Class National Champion

ADS SHOCKS * ARTEC INDUSTRIES * SOUTHWEST FASTENER * HOWE PERFORMANCE * RUGGED RADIOS * JM RIGGING SUPPLY * SDHQ * BLACK N BLUE RACING * RIGID INDUSTRIES * RACELINE WHEELS * FLY-N-HI * CAMPBELL ENTERPRISES
theydontstop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 37769
it'll work. search p&t jeeps. he cut his but this will show you how to make your brackets. the spring pad width on this axle is 36 inches. same as the coil bucket width on my tj. ask me how I know
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 12759
cisco, yeah I measured the same... why did p&t narrow, did he just want a narrow width?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 37769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris97TJ View Post
cisco, yeah I measured the same... why did p&t narrow, did he just want a narrow width?
no idea! I made my coil retainers and lowers all in one, ala P&T's. On the short side I welded to the tube on the outside, but on the cast side I tapped the cast pad and ran 2 grade 8 1/2 inch bolts through that side of the bracket into the cast. With it welded good to the tube and with the 1/2 inch bolts, it isn't going anywhere. and it is definitely stronger than me trying to mig to the cast!

I had no other issues with it fitting. My suspension is a clayton's hard arm, and I pushed my front forward about 7 inches, but I do not think there would have been an issue if I had left it in the stock location! HTH!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1635

Dust Puppy from here axle in a TJ.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 31358
Send a message via AIM to clendaniel
Running a '90 HP60 in mine...shortened the longside to run a 78-79 off-the-shelf shaft. It's really _not_ as hard as some make it out to be...took a couple hours by myself (now having done it would likely go faster as I was very anal w/ the measurements) WMS is now ~66.5" instead of 69" which is still slightly wider than my stock 79 D60 rear. Here's a pic while centering things up to measure for the trackbar and draglink.

--Ian
clendaniel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 12759
Ian any other reason you shortened? And how did you do your bucket on the driver side?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 5021
Quote:
Originally Posted by theydontstop View Post
I'm putting a 95 D60 in a YJ and I have to shorten the longside to get the diff/pinion inside the frame rails so the driveshaft will fit. I would think the TJ's would have a similar problem.
Um no. It has nothing to do with the driveshaft. You have to narrow that axle because it has a 36" spring center and will not fit into a YJ without outboarding the springs.

The Rockslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 37769
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rockslut View Post
Um no. It has nothing to do with the driveshaft. You have to narrow that axle because it has a 36" spring center and will not fit into a YJ without outboarding the springs.
Bingo!! We have a winner!! Chris 97tj. it'll work, I assure you!

Here are my thoughts on shortening vs. full-width: If you live out west and run trails like the hammers and the Rubicon then most people shorten them because most of these trails are tight with big rocks and very technical. A narrower rigs seems to work better. ( although i have trailered to the Rubicon and had no problems with width). If you live in the south or east then most leave them full-width because trails are wider and much steeper. Also, some people live in an area where cops are hardcore and write tickets for too wide tires and crap like that. Me I live in Northwest Arkansas, we don't even have vehicle inspections!! I spend all my time at Hot Springs, Clayton, and Disney. Here width and wheelbase, big horsepower, and huge tires are king. So I stayed full-width. Plus I like the fact that off the shelf shafts will fit my axles and I don't have to pony up for custom length. Really it boils down to wheeling style, terrain, location, and mainly personeL preference. HTH
Old 03-22-2007, 04:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 85031
thanks cisco, you've put my mind at ease.. i was starting to wonder if I made a hasty purchase buying an 88'... I'm leaving it full width, i stay in the east coast... bigger is better here

[CENTER][B]
[/B][/CENTER]
Old 03-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 43646
I am in the process of puting a 1991 HP Ford 60 under my TJ. When the build takes off more, I will post pics.
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 31358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris97TJ View Post
Ian any other reason you shortened? And how did you do your bucket on the driver side?
Ease of install...it allowed me to run the bracketry in the 'stock' position and have the coils vertical. If you look at alan's the coils are bowed outwards as the lower mounts had to be wider to clear the diff.

It also allowed me to keep everything tucked up nice when running h2 wheels (wanted to keep it on the street and they can be picky here)...not to mention it 'looks' better IMHO as the front and rear are now close to the same WMS with the front still being slightly wider.

The driver bucket involved grinding most of the leaf perch off and then cutting/grinding the coilbucket to sit properly. It's about 1/2 on the tube and 1/2 on what's left of the perch.

FWIW even though it's technically shortened 3.5" I still consider the front fullwidth as it's _still_ wider than the _stock_ fullwidth rear.

--Ian

Last edited by clendaniel; 03-22-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 31358
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
Plus I like the fact that off the shelf shafts will fit my axles and I don't have to pony up for custom length.
This isn't an issue of you plan it out....mine runs 88-91.5 short inner and a 78-79 long inner so no worries of custom units.

--Ian
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 70225
I too plan on using a 1990 Ford D60 front in my diesel TJ project. I am planning on running Clayton suspension and maintaining the stock location of TJ axle bracketry on the 60.

I just want this statement clarified: A full width '85-'91 Ford Dana 60 front axle will fit and center perfectly under a TJ using stock TJ suspension dimensions (location of coil buckets and LCA mounts, etc...)

This is true, correct?

BTW, is search working for you guys? Mine sits and thinks and then takes a shit after about 3 minutes.

Support our Sailors and Marines!

Last edited by navymark08; 03-22-2007 at 09:35 AM.
navymark08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in