TOTW: How to not get your rig jacked - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2002, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
TOTW: How to not get your rig jacked

Welcome to the next installment of the

Topic of the Week

There have been a stupid number of rigs getting ripped off recently.

How do you keep yours yours?

There are a number of obvious answers:
1. stored in a garage
2. alarm
3. big dog in the passenger seat
4. live in Alaska where you don't see another person for weeks

But lets talk about mods/gizmos/tricks that you can build or do to keep it from getting parted out by the local hooligans.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2002, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9119
Send a message via ICQ to CheapXJ Send a message via AIM to CheapXJ
i like the idea of chainin it to the driveway. read that somewhere

just don't forget to unlock it

i thought about a time delay release of powdered CO2 into the passenger compartment if a hidden switch isn't pushed within 30 seconds of starting the engine, ever got caught in a cloud of that stuff, it'll drop you to your knees, and make you WANT to die.
CheapXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2002, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7882
for those people that own suzukis with a 2wd low conversion.....we can just lock it in low range or true neutral and they either cant drive more that 15mph or they cant move at all. coil bypass switches are hot in the import crowd. just run one of your coil wires through a concealed switch. i heard there is also a battery coming out that has a built in remote disable keychain toggle. kind of like a car alarm but when you hit the switch the battery turns off everything except your accesory line to your radio station presets and such. it also was supposed to have a system that waited until the car drives down the road and cuts off to simulate running out of gas. pretty clever if you ask me. if someone really wants your rig they are going to take it bottom line!! there are some ways out there to keep the honest people honest though!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My life from my phone's perspective.
spencurai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2002, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9722
I always just take my rotor off if I'm gonna park somewhere for long periods of time. Like airport parking lots, or when my jeep is at home while I'm on vacation. Don't really have a short term anti-theft device though.... need one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TexasBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2002, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 7882
Quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBlake
I always just take my rotor off if I'm gonna park somewhere for long periods of time. Like airport parking lots, or when my jeep is at home while I'm on vacation. Don't really have a short term anti-theft device though.... need one.
good idea!! i am going to have to remember that one!! it only works efficiently for those of us who dont have a keeper screw on the rotor. but i guess we all carry tools with us anyways!!

Old 07-20-2002, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4165
MOVE!

Live in place where you can leave your doors (House and jeep) unlocked.

Or:

Kill switch, remove a vital ignition piece, battery switch.
mountain bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2002, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9975
I have the Grant wheel gizmo on mine. The one that lets you take your steering wheel off. Cant steal it if you cant stear it.

Well not without a roll back, or a tow rig.

Plus you get pretty weird looks from everyone when you waltz in some place with your wheel in hand.

A battery cut off switch is about $5. I have one in my VW Bug. They are small, cheap, and easy to hide. Just one more key to put on the ring.

Later.
Red Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2002, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11315
Wink

80# Red heeler, don't even need to lock the doors.
IMNAKD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2002, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4952
Send a message via AIM to brimy311
what about use one of the D shaped bike locks and locking your steering wheel to the roll cage...
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2002, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1065
I use my safety switches for the fuel pump, ignition and battery circuits.
I have a seperate switch in line with the fuel pump, and ignition so that I can use the starter to inch forward without starting the rig, and also to shut down the systems when upside down.

Hell if Im not thinking, I sometimes forget to turn all of the right switches, and I cant even figure out how to start my rig.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 848
Quote:
Originally posted by brimy311
what about use one of the D shaped bike locks and locking your steering wheel to the roll cage...
about as usefull as "the club"

takes about a second to hack through your steering wheel.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11416
Send a message via Yahoo to redwilly
I had my neighbor come in my yard and tell me two dudes were in my truck. i went out and they were gone, i freaked out. i have half doors and they didn't open them, the alarm didn't go off, i think they were just looking for money or something to steal but I've been rattled since. My biggest fear is people organzing and getting a trailer to it. How do i make it so it can't be moved?? They can just take it out of gear. mabe lock it to a tree. I guess if they want it bad enough its gonna go, fawked.
redwilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2002, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 7252
Send a message via ICQ to thenodnarb Send a message via AIM to thenodnarb
Quote:
Originally posted by Nobody

about as usefull as "the club"

takes about a second to hack through your steering wheel.
awww. he beat me to it. "the club"

but really. I've been thinking about this alot. was thinking of setting up an intricate series of switches, like 10-12, that must be set in the proper order to complete the circut for the run position on the ignition. sorta like a combonation lock to your jeep. then I realized that it would be extremely easy to just splice the first and last switch together. perhaps I could make such a complicated mess of wires under there that ran to and from the firewall with the last switch in the series not necessarily the last one on the dash. that would be so friggin confusing it would take anyone all night just to trace the wires.
thenodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 02:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 7882
Quote:
Originally posted by redwilly
I had my neighbor come in my yard and tell me two dudes were in my truck. i went out and they were gone, i freaked out. i have half doors and they didn't open them, the alarm didn't go off, i think they were just looking for money or something to steal but I've been rattled since. My biggest fear is people organzing and getting a trailer to it. How do i make it so it can't be moved?? They can just take it out of gear. mabe lock it to a tree. I guess if they want it bad enough its gonna go, fawked.
i still like the rotor removal idea. just get under the hood and pull the rotor out of the disty. my football buddies would steal my enduro motorcycle at lunch time and ride it around. you could turn the key with a screwdriver or unplug is altogether so i just started taking the spark plug wire off. cheapo security cameras are good for residences nowadays. you can get a timelapse vCR for cheap and the cameras are about 75-100$. make sure the camera is highly visible fot deterrent purposes.

my favorite is the generic AA battery flashing LED. set it up and let it flash. most thieves will walk right on by rather than dealing with an alarm.....not that alarms are that much of a theft deterrent. nobody responds to them anymore because of so many false alarms. most alarm systems disable various systems in the car to make it unstealable without a tow-truck.

Old 07-21-2002, 08:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 8907
This guy has a pretty neat system. I haven't found the time to do it yet, but it's a pretty novel idea.

http://home.att.net/~email.id/wsb/ht...ome.html-.html

(ADE Security System by Daless2)
TJBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 08:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 11363
Send a message via AIM to 1985CJ7Laredo
Anyone have any pics of where they've hidden their cut off switches, battery kills, etc.? I want to install some kind of anti theft, but I want it to be convenient to do so I'll actually do it. Taking the rotor out, or pulling a coil wire or whatever are great for long term, but when I park it at the movie theatre I need something easy but effective. Any pics?
1985CJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 10:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 11067
Send a message via AIM to payton Send a message via Yahoo to payton
well first line of offinese is hank my 150 lb american bull dog..

i can leave it runnning goin and come back with no worries....

but ive installed a main switch.. i just went to cat and got one from them.. since i run heavy equipment i already carry a cat master key.. the trick is location location.. hide it~
sum place people never look..
fire wall behid where the heater useto be... teres a small cubby hole all the way up against the top.. yeah its a pain to reach sum times.. but its never gonna get found..
Old 07-21-2002, 10:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 11363
Send a message via AIM to 1985CJ7Laredo
Just a CAT Ignition switch?
What'd you tap it into?
1985CJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 11:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 11134
Send a message via AIM to beerisgood
I think everyone should just buy and use those boots cops use to immoblize your car if you get to many unpaid parking tickets, easy to use and completely immoblizes veichel that they are installed in.
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Red"]Flaming Weasel Marketing and Promotion-Your full service sponsorship locator, proposal creation, and servicing company. I don’t make money unless you do-100% commission. 50% of all sales from PBB will be donated to land use organizations. Send a PM to see what we can do to help you. [/FONT][/COLOR]
Téigh trasna ort féin
I need a CTD engine...have one for sale?
beerisgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 04:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 8230
Quote:
Originally posted by 1985CJ7Laredo
Anyone have any pics of where they've hidden their cut off switches, battery kills, etc.? I want to install some kind of anti theft, but I want it to be convenient to do so I'll actually do it. Taking the rotor out, or pulling a coil wire or whatever are great for long term, but when I park it at the movie theatre I need something easy but effective. Any pics?
Sure, and here's my address and times that I'm home, the cutoff key is in the ashtray.
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 05:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 8713
Fortunately I live in a pretty crime free area. BUT I have managed to break my ignition so it does not go to "lock" position so it will start without the key. Not that I do not leave my keys in it anyways.

There will be a cut off switch installed shortly! I have also gone with an incredibly gaudy paint scheme so it will be easy to find (ok until painted again) when reported stolen.

This is not rocket science. Just put a cut off switch in with or without a key.

I like H8s idea but I would ALWAYs get confused with which I turned off.
preach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 08:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 11554
Quote:
Originally posted by spencurai

i still like the rotor removal idea. just get under the hood and pull the rotor out of the disty. my football buddies would steal my enduro motorcycle at lunch time and ride it around. you could turn the key with a screwdriver or unplug is altogether so i just started taking the spark plug wire off. cheapo security cameras are good for residences nowadays. you can get a timelapse vCR for cheap and the cameras are about 75-100$. make sure the camera is highly visible fot deterrent purposes.

my favorite is the generic AA battery flashing LED. set it up and let it flash. most thieves will walk right on by rather than dealing with an alarm.....not that alarms are that much of a theft deterrent. nobody responds to them anymore because of so many false alarms. most alarm systems disable various systems in the car to make it unstealable without a tow-truck.
I'm installing a set of 160 decipal air horns and wiring them to an alarm. That gets people's attention!
Billy@XJDB.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 08:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 11554
Quote:
Originally posted by 1985CJ7Laredo
Yeah, I got some pics and CAD drawings of my security system, I'll post them w/ my address and detailed directions to my house before I leave for Europe next week.
Billy@XJDB.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 08:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 12900
I installed an electric fuel pump and hid a switch for it. No fuel,no go!
XJ have not is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 09:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 2775
I just put in a painless wiring harness that has a fuse that takes care of everything just remove it and nothing in the vehicle works. when i installed the harness i hid it pretty good but i am still going to put a kill switch in this lock box that was built into the jeep under the passenger side seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in