5.3 Jeeps - Page 168 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #4176 (permalink)

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasX View Post

Can anyone point out which (if any) Gen III engines cant accept a manual trans?
Dan
All the Gen III/IV will work easily save for the LS4. Just need to correct adapters and flywheels.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #4177 (permalink)

Member # 71834
I started looking at unmeted air again since Wayne is a genius. I pulled all the vaccum hoses off the intake and plugged all the ports and all the hoses. I also removed the elbow and air filter from in front of my MAF.

Noticed immeditially that my LTFT were -15 sitting in my drive way in gear. After some test driving all my fuel trims look good, at -1 to 1.

So I'll just hook things back up 1 at a time and find the unmetered air.

I did notice that the passanger side valve cover is pulling suction through the hose that hooks up behind the throttle body. Is that normal?

Also I found that a Bosch fuel pump # 69225 for a 1996 GMC Yukon with a 5.7 is a direct swap for a YJ pump. Everything is exactly the same between the pumps including the wiring harness and pick up screens.

Last edited by Why J?; 11-23-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #4178 (permalink)

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post

I did notice that the passanger side valve cover is pulling suction through the hose that hooks up behind the throttle body. Is that normal?

Also I found that a Bosch fuel pump # 69225 for a 1996 GMC Yukon with a 5.7 is a direct swap for a YJ pump. Everything is exactly the same between the pumps including the wiring harness and pick up screens.
The passenger side is the fresh air inlet for the PCV system. On the Gen IV trucks the pass side actually hooks into the intake tube itself not right behind the TB.

Last edited by Bo185; 11-23-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #4179 (permalink)

Member # 130080
I need some 5.3 noob help. I've been reading this thread and am to page 133.
I pulled my new to me 5.3 LM7 from a 1999 silverado today. My questions are is the TCM separate from the big PCM? Do i need anything extra because i was told a 1999 wouldn't have cruise control, but this one definitely did, hard to miss the the extra throttle cable going to a box labeled cruise control. BTW i plan on run the LM7 with a 1999 4l60e from a different truck behind it. So mostly i need to know if i need any other wiring harness besides the one i pulled today(the main engine harness), and if there is a TCM i need to go back to get, and will the throttle cable from the silverado or my yj work?
jeepbonehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #4180 (permalink)

Member # 130080
Here are 2 pics of the computer that came out of the vehicle,

Last edited by jeepbonehead; 11-27-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #4181 (permalink)

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbonehead View Post
I pulled my new to me 5.3 LM7 from a 1999 silverado today. My questions are is the TCM separate from the big PCM?
The Gen III 97-00 have a PCM (powertrain control module) it controls the auto trans as well. The Gen IV 2005-up cars and 2007-up trucks have ECM (engine control module) and TCM ( transmission control modules).

Quote:
Do i need anything extra because i was told a 1999 wouldn't have cruise control, but this one definitely did, hard to miss the the extra throttle cable going to a box labeled cruise control. BTW i plan on run the LM7 with a 1999 4l60e from a different truck behind it. So mostly i need to know if i need any other wiring harness besides the one i pulled today(the main engine harness), and if there is a TCM i need to go back to get, and will the throttle cable from the silverado or my yj work?
There is no TCM in 99 just the PCM you pictured,

Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #4182 (permalink)

Member # 130080
So if i just buy a shifter from lokar or something similar, and have wayne do my harness and pcm i'm good to go?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #4183 (permalink)

Member # 71834
Quote:
So if i just buy a shifter from lokar or something similar, and have wayne do my harness and pcm i'm good to go?
Yes.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #4184 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
I pulled my new to me 5.3 LM7 from a 1999 silverado today. My questions are is the TCM separate from the big PCM? Do i need anything extra because i was told a 1999 wouldn't have cruise control, but this one definitely did, hard to miss the the extra throttle cable going to a box labeled cruise control. BTW i plan on run the LM7 with a 1999 4l60e from a different truck behind it. So mostly i need to know if i need any other wiring harness besides the one i pulled today(the main engine harness), and if there is a TCM i need to go back to get, and will the throttle cable from the silverado or my yj work?
There is no module for the cruise, ie PCM doesn't control it. Follow the cable back and get that black box thingie. I think from there you just need a couple of switches to turn it on and activate. Google will help you out a lot more than me on this I think

10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, DynoMAX Exhaust, AllTech Motorsports, Radflo Shocks, PAC Racing Springs, JM Rigging Supply, Reid Racing, Rugged Radios, Trail-Gear, Life-Time LED Lights, RuffStuff Specialties, Randy's Racing Transmissions, A1 Performance Converters, Maxxis Tires, Jesse Haines Fab, CBR Performance, PRP Seats, Exhaust Solutions, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #4185 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
I started looking at unmeted air again since Wayne is a genius. I pulled all the vaccum hoses off the intake and plugged all the ports and all the hoses. I also removed the elbow and air filter from in front of my MAF.

Noticed immeditially that my LTFT were -15 sitting in my drive way in gear. After some test driving all my fuel trims look good, at -1 to 1.

So I'll just hook things back up 1 at a time and find the unmetered air.

I sent ya some pics of the hose routing....

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, DynoMAX Exhaust, AllTech Motorsports, Radflo Shocks, PAC Racing Springs, JM Rigging Supply, Reid Racing, Rugged Radios, Trail-Gear, Life-Time LED Lights, RuffStuff Specialties, Randy's Racing Transmissions, A1 Performance Converters, Maxxis Tires, Jesse Haines Fab, CBR Performance, PRP Seats, Exhaust Solutions, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #4186 (permalink)

Member # 20092
I was having the same issue with high LTFTs. Turned out to be the vacuum connection for the brake booster. The plastic fitting wasn't pushed in all the way

I chased that problem for a while, going as far as replacing the intake. My motor is a 2006 so it already had the updated intake gaskets. At least the replacement intake and gasket kit with new bolts was only $65 off eBay.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #4187 (permalink)

Member # 213229
gauges

well i think im going to go aftermarket gauges...as i said before novaks modules dont work with gen IVs yet and i dont feel like buying one when they finally "figure it out" and being a guine pig...plus i tried to get my CEL light on my cluster to shut off and think i screwed up the cluster in the mean time. i pulled all the needles off to try and get behind the face, now when i plug in the cluster the needles move to the complete wrong areas. so im way over budget as usual with this. so i figure by the time i pay for a $150 tach mod and gauge cluster, i might as well get these off ebay. C2 Redline 6 Gauge Set, Programmable Electric Speedo, White LED Backlight | eBay

but my question is, when the cluster is unplugged certain things go out like the interior light ect...so how would i install aftermarket gauges with out loosing all the other functions? its an 05 lj. i tried looking for it on the search but didnt find anything.
mkeanglorldo56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #4188 (permalink)

Member # 71834
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
I sent ya some pics of the hose routing....
Thanks.

I chased my issue to the 90 degree elbow in front of my MAF sensor. Apparently thats a bad thing.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #4189 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeanglorldo56 View Post
well i think im going to go aftermarket gauges...as i said before novaks modules dont work with gen IVs yet and i dont feel like buying one when they finally "figure it out" and being a guine pig...plus i tried to get my CEL light on my cluster to shut off and think i screwed up the cluster in the mean time. i pulled all the needles off to try and get behind the face, now when i plug in the cluster the needles move to the complete wrong areas. so im way over budget as usual with this. so i figure by the time i pay for a $150 tach mod and gauge cluster, i might as well get these off ebay. C2 Redline 6 Gauge Set, Programmable Electric Speedo, White LED Backlight | eBay

but my question is, when the cluster is unplugged certain things go out like the interior light ect...so how would i install aftermarket gauges with out loosing all the other functions? its an 05 lj. i tried looking for it on the search but didnt find anything.
What year is your rig? I have aftermarket gauges and would like to take my rig back to OEM. I'd probably be interested in trading my AutoMeter gauges for the stuff to go back... I have the digital Cobalts. speedo, tach, oil, water, fuel, volts as well as check engine light, high beam and both signals.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #4190 (permalink)

Member # 130080
I was PM'ing with Hammertech(wayne's harness guy) getting all the info for my complete wiring and he lead me onto a product i thought i would share with you all.

Highway 15 Street Rod Wiring Kit

This wiring harness looks awesome!! I haven't ordered it yet but will within the next month. I'm doing the 5.3,4l603, and AA to my np231(on the cheap right now) and having wayne tune my pcm and hammertech do the harness. I wanted to use my factory dash and most of the switches and autometer gauges, but get rid of the crap yj harness that all hacked in my yj. I'm sure this harness will be the perfect solution to getting everything wired up. Read the description of that thing, and for $370 seems like a great deal.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #4191 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
I was PM'ing with Hammertech(wayne's harness guy) getting all the info for my complete wiring and he lead me onto a product i thought i would share with you all.

Highway 15 Street Rod Wiring Kit

This wiring harness looks awesome!! I haven't ordered it yet but will within the next month. I'm doing the 5.3,4l603, and AA to my np231(on the cheap right now) and having wayne tune my pcm and hammertech do the harness. I wanted to use my factory dash and most of the switches and autometer gauges, but get rid of the crap yj harness that all hacked in my yj. I'm sure this harness will be the perfect solution to getting everything wired up. Read the description of that thing, and for $370 seems like a great deal.
It's an awesome kit! I believe that's the same kit Dave used on a 57 Chevy that he wired and I tuned. It has a LS2 and 4l60e. When you open the hood, you cant see any of the wiring, coil packs, etc. Maybe Dave will see this and post some pics

Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #4192 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
All the Gen III/IV will work easily save for the LS4. Just need to correct adapters and flywheels.
Not sure why I read this, but was a little confused. Did you mean to say save for the GENIV? The LS4 is a front wheel drive car engine which has a different bellhousing bolt pattern then all the other GENIII,GENIV rear wheel drive engines.

I started to look into it at one time but got sidetracked. I started to plan what I would do with my GXP some day.

From WIKI

GM metric pattern
Also called the GM small corporate pattern and the S10 pattern
This pattern has a distinctive odd-sided hexagonal shape. Rear wheel drive applications have the starter mounted on the right side of the block (when viewed from the flywheel) and on the opposite side of the block than front wheel drive. The 2.2l S10/Sonoma had the starter located in the same position as front wheel drive cars. A rear wheel drive bellhousing is displayed at right.

GM 2.8/3.1/3.4/3.5/3.9 L V6 (also used by AMC)
Buick 3300/3800 V6
Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 L V8
Isuzu 3.5L DOHC V6
AMC/Chrysler 2.5L I4 found in Jeep Cherokee, Comanche, Wagoneer, CJ and Wrangler and Dodge Dakota
GM Iron Duke/Tech-4 2.5L I4
GM "122" 1.8/2.0/2.2 L I4
GM 5.3L LS4 V8
GM 3.5L LX5 "Short Star" V6

So maybe if you get creative you can bolt a 5.3 LS4 up to your 2.5 trans ??? Might be a little too much power though at 303hp before a tune.

kmkommes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #4193 (permalink)

Member # 213229
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
What year is your rig? I have aftermarket gauges and would like to take my rig back to OEM. I'd probably be interested in trading my AutoMeter gauges for the stuff to go back... I have the digital Cobalts. speedo, tach, oil, water, fuel, volts as well as check engine light, high beam and both signals.
Damn! I just ordered these yesterdy!

INTELLITRONIX "CREATE-A-DASH" DIGITAL INSTRUMENT KIT | eBay

I wish i knew...what will you do for a tach? why switch back? i have an 05 unlimited.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #4194 (permalink)

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkommes View Post
Not sure why I read this, but was a little confused. Did you mean to say save for the GENIV? The LS4 is a front wheel drive car engine which has a different bellhousing bolt pattern then all the other GENIII,GENIV rear wheel drive engines.

I started to look into it at one time but got sidetracked. I started to plan what I would do with my GXP some day.

From WIKI

GM metric pattern
Also called the GM small corporate pattern and the S10 pattern
This pattern has a distinctive odd-sided hexagonal shape. Rear wheel drive applications have the starter mounted on the right side of the block (when viewed from the flywheel) and on the opposite side of the block than front wheel drive. The 2.2l S10/Sonoma had the starter located in the same position as front wheel drive cars. A rear wheel drive bellhousing is displayed at right.

So maybe if you get creative you can bolt a 5.3 LS4 up to your 2.5 trans ??? Might be a little too much power though at 303hp before a tune.
Question was basically if a manual would bolt to which Gen III motor.

I stated, All the Gen III/IV will work easily save for the LS4, which has the 60* bellhouse you mentioned. The adapters and flywheel comment was to mate them to different manual transmissions.

The LS4 will bolt up to the 60* V6 bellhouses trans's. But remember the LS4 has no provisions for a starter period. In the transverse application the starter mounts on the trans. So one would need to fab a regular starter mount. The problem with the crank nose can be overcome with a spacer, as well and one can run a normal crank pulley to swap to regular style accessories.

Last edited by Bo185; 11-27-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #4195 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Damn! I just ordered these yesterdy!

INTELLITRONIX "CREATE-A-DASH" DIGITAL INSTRUMENT KIT | eBay

I wish i knew...what will you do for a tach? why switch back? i have an 05 unlimited.
I would prefer to have my Jeep cluster back.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #4196 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27674
Send a message via Yahoo to morp
jeep

5.3, 4l60e & atlas II 3.8, with 4:56 gears works great for 37" tires
morp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #4197 (permalink)

Member # 213229
Wayne what year is yours from the cluster?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #4198 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Wayne what year is yours from the cluster?
04 Rubicon

Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #4199 (permalink)
OCM
Granite Guru

Member # 14091
Why J, could you elaboeate on the elbow thing. I am just setting my engine into my buggy with the intake reversed, under the dash and I was going to use a 90 deg elbow at the tb then the maf sensor, then air filter.
Thanks,
Karl.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #4200 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 111999
look at these guys for intake fittings, hoses, pipe, etc.
Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps
JayMcJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in