5.3 Jeeps - Page 214 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #5326 (permalink)

Member # 90158
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
Confirm power to the relay.
Remove ground leads and ground the relay.
If the fans come on than the relays and fan wiring is correct.

If you have a multi meter, you can check resistance/continuity of the wire from the ECM to the Ralys.

If not I think I would unplug both connectors at the ECM. Check that the relays have power. Then ground the two pins in the ECM connector.

I have grounded the "control" side of the relay and my fans work just fine. I will double check between the PCM connector and the relay. Make sure i'm making connection.
4x4chase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #5327 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4chase View Post
??? Ground the wire from the PCM at the PCM connector??? So verify continuity between PCM and realys
Unhoook the connectors at the PCM. Put a ground to the pins yourself. See if the fans turn on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, DynoMAX Exhaust, AllTech Motorsports, Radflo Shocks, PAC Racing Springs, JM Rigging Supply, Reid Racing, Rugged Radios, Trail-Gear, Life-Time LED Lights, RuffStuff Specialties, Randy's Racing Transmissions, A1 Performance Converters, Maxxis Tires, Jesse Haines Fab, CBR Performance, PRP Seats, Exhaust Solutions, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #5328 (permalink)

Member # 54135
While we are talking about PCM controlled fans, I have a few questions. I know there is a ground circuit for high speed and a ground circuit for low speed. (C1-42 and C2-33). What is the difference? Does the low speed provide a resisted ground to turn the fan slow and the high speed provide a ground with no resistance to run the fan at maximum speed? I am running a single, single speed fan wired through one relay. I have triggered the relay with the high speed and then with the low speed. I don't notice a difference.

shopteach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #5329 (permalink)

Member # 198821
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopteach View Post
While we are talking about PCM controlled fans, I have a few questions. I know there is a ground circuit for high speed and a ground circuit for low speed. (C1-42 and C2-33). What is the difference? Does the low speed provide a resisted ground to turn the fan slow and the high speed provide a ground with no resistance to run the fan at maximum speed? I am running a single, single speed fan wired through one relay. I have triggered the relay with the high speed and then with the low speed. I don't notice a difference.

Have to have a two speed fan to utilize the high and low. One relay is set at 195 deg and the other for 210 roughly. It's just a switch, that grounds when a certain temp is reached.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #5330 (permalink)

Member # 54135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 183Beast View Post
Have to have a two speed fan to utilize the high and low. One relay is set at 195 deg and the other for 210 roughly. It's just a switch, that grounds when a certain temp is reached.
Ok, that being said....is it acceptable to use the low speed fan circuit "only" as the trigger to run one single speed fan? I would leave the high speed fan wire taped up and unused.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #5331 (permalink)

Member # 228132
Quote:
Ok, that being said....is it acceptable to use the low speed fan circuit "only" as the trigger to run one single speed fan? I would leave the high speed fan wire taped up and unused.
yes. Its just a ground circuit for the relay, not the fan. You could use either fan relay connection as in effect they are the exact same thing, the only difference is the point in the programming where the computer turns on one fan relay (low speed fan motor circuit) vs turning on the other relay (high speed fan motor circuit). It wont have any effect on how fast your fan runs.
Gemner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #5332 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Quote:

FWIW...

The way my 2007 truck 5.3 was wired up, there was a separate box with 3 relays and some fuses in it. There is a heavy gauge (8 I believe) wire going from a hot lug to the relays. There are two wires that go to a plug with the ECM harness, this is the ground signals from the ECM. There were two 12g wires that lead to the cooling fans. One wire to each fan.

Quote:
Yes
Attached Images

1970 Land Rover Series IIa 105". 5.3l L59, NV4500 MT8, NP241-C, F&R D110 Salisburies

Last edited by aloharover; 10-17-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: removed innacurate data
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #5333 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
The PCM can set fan1 and fan2 at different temperatures. Both are only triggers, and don't have any different electrical properties to them. They are simply just two separately controlled circuits.

In order for the low/high speed fan setup to work, there are three relays. On low, only one relay is on and both fans are at this point in series and splitting the current/voltage draw, and thus causing them in a low speed status. In high speed, the two other relays come on and supply each fan with the full load/voltage.

Low is main fan and aux is the second fan. If you are going to use only one fan, you would want it on the low or fan1/relay1 circuit.

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, DynoMAX Exhaust, AllTech Motorsports, Radflo Shocks, PAC Racing Springs, JM Rigging Supply, Reid Racing, Rugged Radios, Trail-Gear, Life-Time LED Lights, RuffStuff Specialties, Randy's Racing Transmissions, A1 Performance Converters, Maxxis Tires, Jesse Haines Fab, CBR Performance, PRP Seats, Exhaust Solutions, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
Old 10-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #5334 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
FWIW...

The way my 2007 truck 5.3 was wired up, there was a separate box with 3 relays and some fuses in it. There is a heavy gauge (8 I believe) wire going from a hot lug to the relays. There are two wires that go to a plug with the ECM harness, this is the ground signals from the ECM. There were two 12g wires that lead to the cooling fans. One wire to each fan.

I haven't tested this, but I believe, based on the way it's wired, one fan comes on with the "low speed" signal, and then the second comes on with the "high speed".

I do know that on my Saturn it works this way. The car doesn't have a two speed fan, but two fans that turn at different speeds.

Yes
No, in GM world, if there is a two speed fan setup (LS cars, 1/2 ton trucks after 05, etc), there are two fans and both will turn in low and high speed mode.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #5335 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
No, in GM world, if there is a two speed fan setup (LS cars, 1/2 ton trucks after 05, etc), there are two fans and both will turn in low and high speed mode.
Thanks... I corrected my post

Wonder if that means there is something wrong with the saturn

1970 Land Rover Series IIa 105". 5.3l L59, NV4500 MT8, NP241-C, F&R D110 Salisburies

Last edited by aloharover; 10-17-2014 at 07:27 AM.
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #5336 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Thanks... like I said I haven't tested it

Wonder if that means there is something wrong with the saturn
Saturn is it's own deal and I have no idea about them

Chances are if it's two separate fans that are controlled separately, they are not two speed.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #5337 (permalink)

Member # 54135
Thanks Wayne, Gemner, and 183Beast...appreciate the info

Last edited by shopteach; 10-16-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #5338 (permalink)

Member # 17986
I currently have a Dodge 5.9 in my Jeep. I'm going to fit a CBR radiator within the front tube work, one that I can use next year with the LS swap.

Max size I can get in there is a 12.5x31 with 2 12 inch fans. Will I have any trouble with an LS2?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #5339 (permalink)

Member # 228132
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
I currently have a Dodge 5.9 in my Jeep. I'm going to fit a CBR radiator within the front tube work, one that I can use next year with the LS swap.

Max size I can get in there is a 12.5x31 with 2 12 inch fans. Will I have any trouble with an LS2?
mine is a 31x11 2 core (1.25" tubes). It seems to stay cool. I am upgrading to a taurus fan as the fan setup that I have now is just pieced together from an old setup. As it is, I have two 10" fans from a three fan setup that I used with the 4.0L. Even with just two crappy fans mounted directly to the radiator it stays within reasonable operating temp up to about 80F. I have only driven it as warm as 90F outside and it ran up to about 210. Stays perfectly cool at freeway speed even with warm outdoor temps. I have no doubt a good fan like the taurus and a shroud will keep it plenty cool at low speed. If you can fit a 3 core with at least 1" tubes you will probably have plenty of radiator.

Last edited by Gemner; 10-17-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #5340 (permalink)

Member # 198821
Read this whole thread and have not found anyone else with my problem.

2001 chevy 5.3 in YJ hydro assist w/ stock power steering pump. It sucks to turn unless I give it just a touch of gas. Then it powers through anything. When im driving I have no issues obviously, but mall crawling is hard when you can't turn your wheels while sitting still.

Am i missing something or is my pump on its way out? (I have cycled it several times with the wheels off the ground).
Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #5341 (permalink)

Member # 228132
Quote:

2001 chevy 5.3 in YJ hydro assist w/ stock power steering pump. It sucks to turn unless I give it just a touch of gas. Then it powers through anything. When im driving I have no issues obviously, but mall crawling is hard when you can't turn your wheels while sitting still.

Am i missing something or is my pump on its way out? (I have cycled it several times with the wheels off the ground).
stock power steering pump? Stock on the 5.3 or stock on the YJ?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #5342 (permalink)

Member # 198821
Stock 5.3 power steering pump.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #5343 (permalink)

Member # 54135
It might be the pump. I have a 6.0 in my Willys with a PSC pump and ram. At idle I turn the wheel faster than the ram likes (it has a resistance). Low RPMs = low volume of fluid which means you are manually pushing the ram. A higher volume pump may help out your situation. I found that the guys at PSC are happy to help if you call

Last edited by shopteach; 10-17-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #5344 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:

Pump not enough flow. Get a power steering pump from a vehicle (GM) with hydro boost brakes. Like Duramax or 3/4-1 ton gas (6.0/8.1). That'l fix it

Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #5345 (permalink)

Member # 108217
Anyone using the LS4 oil pan on there 5.3 jeeps?? i know it bolts up and give much more clearance but i have not found anything on if they have the baffles set up in the pan differently for a FWD car...Reason is i can find these super cheap where the f body pans are closer to 300$$
308turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #5346 (permalink)

Member # 228132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308turbo View Post
Anyone using the LS4 oil pan on there 5.3 jeeps?? i know it bolts up and give much more clearance but i have not found anything on if they have the baffles set up in the pan differently for a FWD car...Reason is i can find these super cheap where the f body pans are closer to 300$$
It sure looks like the LS4 pans have no baffling at all.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #5347 (permalink)

Member # 108217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemner View Post
It sure looks like the LS4 pans have no baffling at all.
guess thats why noone is running them
308turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #5348 (permalink)

Member # 55445
Fuel gauge

Sorry i searched but the search by thread sucks on here....

Ive got my 5.3 in and running great but ive go no fuel gauge. We all know that auto meter does not make a gauge for the jeep fuel senders ohm signals. Using a resistor inline in isnt very accurate, and the stock guage wont work without whatever pcm signal i eliminated.

Could this be as easy as taking the sender off a gm pump and swapping out the sender on the jeep pump and then using an autometer gauge for a chevy? Has anyone tried this without blowing up your jeep?
cj7deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #5349 (permalink)

Member # 8444
If you're married to autometer, that would be a complicated way to do it. Pretty much every brand of gauges makes their own sender you can add to your tank. If you've got a stock CJ tank, something like

THIS

will just swap in place of the stock sender. Like I said, pretty much every brand has something like that to match their gauges.

Zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #5350 (permalink)

Member # 100165
Autometer now makes a programmable fuel gauge that should work. I've seen several LS conversions running autometer fuel gauges.
snohog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in