5.3 Jeeps - Page 259 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #6451 (permalink)

Member # 480434
Thanks RCHerb, I appreciate the input. Are you running Novak motor mounts?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #6452 (permalink)

Member # 180672
Not a 5.3 but I put in a 6.0 to th400 to atlas with 78 ford d60 and 14b in my yj. 4 link front and rear. Front was a tight fit, grill is raked slightly forward to clear a 26x19 radiator, 16in e fan, 10x11 trans cooler and 18in ps cooler. I used Dave's motor mounts

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by PapaSmurf789; 11-07-2017 at 09:23 PM.
PapaSmurf789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #6453 (permalink)

Member # 101521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navydivedoc View Post
Thanks RCHerb, I appreciate the input. Are you running Novak motor mounts?
Yes I am running the novak mounts. They were pretty easy to locate in the frame. With their style of mount, It was a huge pain the in ass to land the motor & trans by myself. I kept having one side higher than the other. It would have been much easier with two people

Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #6454 (permalink)

Member # 31688
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf789 View Post
Not a 5.3 but I put in a 6.0 to th400 to atlas with 78 ford d60 and 14b in my yj. 4 link front and rear. Front was a tight fit, grill is raked slightly forward to clear a 26x19 radiator, 16in e fan, 10x11 trans cooler and 18in ps cooler. I used Dave's motor mounts

Got a build thread?
fubar73cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #6455 (permalink)

Member # 180672
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar73cj5 View Post
Got a build thread?
I need to go back and make one with what few pics I have. It left Dixie run as a 4.0 yj and needs to be done before rbd so I've been rushing and forgetting to take pics.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #6456 (permalink)

Member # 561082
has anyone run a full ffactory gm setup? engine, trans and tcase? I bought a whole truck to do the swap. im just wondering whats available for an sye.
truck is a factory 4.8L 5 speed 4x4.
nv3500 and a nvg261
ive found sye for front output but not rear. or maybe what tcase has available sye and will bolt to gm nv3500
looking to reuse as many components as possible I don't want to use adapters.

Last edited by shtboxyj; 11-13-2017 at 11:53 AM.
shtboxyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #6457 (permalink)

Member # 343466
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtboxyj View Post
has anyone run a full ffactory gm setup? engine, trans and tcase? I bought a whole truck to do the swap. im just wondering whats available for an sye.
truck is a factory 4.8L 5 speed 4x4.
nv3500 and a nvg261
ive found sye for front output but not rear. or maybe what tcase has available sye and will bolt to gm nv3500
looking to reuse as many components as possible I don't want to use adapters.
Most people on here are going to tell you to go straight for an atlas.
wvjeepguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #6458 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 111999
I certainly don't regret going to the Atlas.

If you're trying to keep it cheap you could use and NP241. That'll bolt right up. There are SYE available for the rear. The front is all set from the factory.
You just need to find one that has the correct (27 spline) input spline count. Shouldn't be difficult, but something to keep in mind.
JayMcJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #6459 (permalink)

Member # 561082
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcJay View Post
I certainly don't regret going to the Atlas.

If you're trying to keep it cheap you could use and NP241. That'll bolt right up. There are SYE available for the rear. The front is all set from the factory.
You just need to find one that has the correct (27 spline) input spline count. Shouldn't be difficult, but something to keep in mind.
thanks for the info. but this will be a street jeep. no need for atlas just going to beach and some winter driving (Massachusetts). I have another yj for offroad undergoing 1 tons just waiting on a tubing bender from a buddy for shock hoops.
shtboxyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #6460 (permalink)

Member # 572202
Quote:
All,

First off, thanks to all who have posted on this board. I've spent many hours over the past few days getting a huge education on the LS swap. Waynehartwig in particular, thanks. I'll be sending my PCM for a tune soon.

I've answered most of my questions via search, here and some other forums, but there are a couple that seem simple but I'm having a hard time finding good info.

2. I put Dynatrac 60's in my LJ last summer. New Tom Woods shafts. Despite lots of looking, I can't find an answer: If I use Novak or AA TJ/LJ pre-fit motor mounts, does the T-case stay in the factory location?

3. Most seem to use an electric fan. I would prefer to use a mechanical fan. Is the mechanical fan a problem due to space limitations, or is the electric favored because of ease of installation?

Thanks again for the help.
2. My tcase is now somewhere between 1 to 2 inches forward. Rear driveshaft had plenty of spline to still work, but my front is the stock shaft and had to be shortened.

3. There was barely room to fit my Taurus fan between the radiator and the motor. So I doubt I could have fit the mech fan even a little bit at all no way Jose.

I used Novak's bolt in mounts so I could do this job in the garage of my rental house with no welder. I wound up putting the motor as far forward as possible with the mounts so it wasn't smashing the tub. Not that it's etched in stone or handed down my Jeep jesus, but one of the advanced or Novak pointers from the swap instructions was to make sure you're not trying to place the new motor to keep the same drive shafts. Just find a good drive shaft shop that can adjust the lengths for a good price. I think I paid $100 or less for my front to be shortened and ballanced.
ACRay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #6461 (permalink)

Member # 480434
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRay View Post
2. My tcase is now somewhere between 1 to 2 inches forward. Rear driveshaft had plenty of spline to still work, but my front is the stock shaft and had to be shortened.

3. There was barely room to fit my Taurus fan between the radiator and the motor. So I doubt I could have fit the mech fan even a little bit at all no way Jose.

I used Novak's bolt in mounts so I could do this job in the garage of my rental house with no welder. I wound up putting the motor as far forward as possible with the mounts so it wasn't smashing the tub. Not that it's etched in stone or handed down my Jeep jesus, but one of the advanced or Novak pointers from the swap instructions was to make sure you're not trying to place the new motor to keep the same drive shafts. Just find a good drive shaft shop that can adjust the lengths for a good price. I think I paid $100 or less for my front to be shortened and ballanced.
Thanks ACray. I'm not particularly worried about the driveshafts, I do have a good local shop that can shorten or lengthen as needed. I'm mostly just surprised how little talk there is of where everything ends up. I've decided to just join the club and get a pre-built radiator and electric fan combo from Novak or Ron davis. There seems to be very little issue with those, and they are by far more common. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #6462 (permalink)

Member # 706482
I think novak radiators are little bit pricey. I run griffin with some chrysler voyager fan, the whole price was half of the novak ones. I have no cooling issues in my XJ even though there is less space fot the rad than in TJ, CJ, JK.

But I understand that novak makes plug&play radiator, so it can be better solution for those who don't need custom instalation (like me)

Last edited by PetZ; 11-16-2017 at 11:52 AM.
PetZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #6463 (permalink)

Member # 572202
Quote:
Thanks ACray. I'm not particularly worried about the driveshafts, I do have a good local shop that can shorten or lengthen as needed. I'm mostly just surprised how little talk there is of where everything ends up. I've decided to just join the club and get a pre-built radiator and electric fan combo from Novak or Ron davis. There seems to be very little issue with those, and they are by far more common. Thanks for the input.
I was thinking the same thing before I got my motor in. I had seen zero talk about where the outputs wound up in relation to stock locations. I think I asked on here or maybe another forum but I got one answer from another Jeeper that did the swap and said the same that it wound up between an inch or two forward. I thought it was good news to have a longer rear drive shaft and hoped for even less driveline vibration that the almost none I already have 😂
Old 11-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #6464 (permalink)

Member # 752937
How are you guys hooking up the 4L60E transmission to the Shift Indicator?
Lsbluejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #6465 (permalink)

Member # 572202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbluejeep View Post
which indicator? Do you mean an actual "what gear is it in" type of indicator? Cause I don't have one of those LOL

*ALSO* Does anyone have a part number for the correct downstream O2 sensor? I'm running all 2002 electronics and not sure if the flat or square plug were the right sensors. I'm trying to make sure I've got the right one since mine is running rich... though I haven't double checked the wiring yet either.

Last edited by ACRay; 11-25-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #6466 (permalink)

Member # 752937
On a 2001 jeep TJ does the airbag go for the jeeps CPU
Old 11-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #6467 (permalink)

Member # 572202
Quote:

I'm not 100% on this, but there's an airbag module separate from the Jeep's computer so, I'd only guess the the airbag system is kinda stand alone. Though this is an assumption and we all know about assumptions.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #6468 (permalink)

Member # 752937
OK thank you
Old 11-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #6469 (permalink)

Member # 101521
Quote:
I thought about doing an indicator with the lokar shifter I have, but the more I thought about it, i couldn't justify spending the $200 bucks on it. I just count the clicks I feel when I put it into gear.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #6470 (permalink)

Member # 480434
Airbag

Quote:
My understanding also is that the airbag system is a standalone, not integrated into the Jeep PCM. I hope so, as my PCM is going away and I hope my airbag deploys if I ever need it.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #6471 (permalink)

Member # 480434
6L80 and shifter options

I've changed plans and am now going with a Gen IV Vortec and the 6L80 trans. Apparently the stock TJ auto shifter can be reused. Anyone done this? Is the stock TJ cable also reusable? Enough length? How did it attach to the trans?

I've seen the 2011 Malibu shifter used, and that's what Speartech has integrated. Anyone have other options that work?
Old 12-01-2017, 02:06 AM   #6472 (permalink)

Member # 706482
Quote:
I've changed plans and am now going with a Gen IV Vortec and the 6L80 trans. Apparently the stock TJ auto shifter can be reused. Anyone done this? Is the stock TJ cable also reusable? Enough length? How did it attach to the trans?

I've seen the 2011 Malibu shifter used, and that's what Speartech has integrated. Anyone have other options that work?
I have reused the stock XJ shifter with stock cable, just made custom bracket on the trans. The TJ shifter should be the same. I had to bent the shifter to clear the P position from the center console and grind the detend to shift to 1 gear position. Otherwise it looks like stock.

PetZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2017, 03:40 AM   #6473 (permalink)

Member # 480434
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetZ View Post
I have reused the stock XJ shifter with stock cable, just made custom bracket on the trans. The TJ shifter should be the same. I had to bent the shifter to clear the P position from the center console and grind the detend to shift to 1 gear position. Otherwise it looks like stock.
Thanks, especially for including the pics. Very helpful.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #6474 (permalink)

Member # 572202
Quote:

My TJ shifter worked on my 4L65E while I was mocking it all up I broke the plastic eyelet piece at the trans though so I used a F-body shifter
Old 12-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #6475 (permalink)

Member # 146784
Send a message via Yahoo to aemedic
Question Transfer Case Clocking

So, Im getting ready to mount the 231J transfer case W/SYE on the Novak 4L60 tail housing adapter. Thinking about clearance and driveline angles with the 4 Savvy/Currie lift, what is a good clocking position? My thinking is, just under level with the rear output shaft position...

Any insight from the masses?

Last edited by aemedic; 12-10-2017 at 12:12 PM.
aemedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in