5.3 Jeeps - Page 264 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #6576 (permalink)

Member # 432985
I am running a cheapie ebay v8 wrangler radiator with a Volvo 2spd electric fan mounted on it. My temps are spot on so far. It hasnt been too hot here just yet, so will report back, but it sounds like you need a better fan. From what i remember, people compare the Volvo fan to the Taurus fan.

edit: i am running this fan.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...plication.html

Last edited by AHenry014; 05-08-2018 at 10:38 AM.
AHenry014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #6577 (permalink)

Member # 108736
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWassink View Post
When I rebuilt by 5.3 with a Texas speed cam and flat top pistons for more compression I instantly noticed it was running hotter. I tried a bigger fan, bigger radiator and I didn't notice much of a difference. It would stay around 210 as long as I didn't beat on it for a while. I then switched to a JK fan set up with a MUCH better shroud than I had and it made a noticeable difference. Still would get hot when I hammered down for long periods of time but nothing that concerned me. I now have a dual derale fan set up that will push 3750 cfm but I have yet to test it out

Edit:
Running on the lean side will make it run hotter as well. Did you replace injectors or are they still the factory 6.0 ones?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It's on the fat side. I prefer to be safe. I did replace the injectors with larger. As well I run an afr gauge in my dash to make sure I don't lean it out.
cheapthrillb2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #6578 (permalink)

Member # 108736
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
I am running a cheapie ebay v8 wrangler radiator with a Volvo 2spd electric fan mounted on it. My temps are spot on so far. It hasnt been too hot here just yet, so will report back, but it sounds like you need a better fan. From what i remember, people compare the Volvo fan to the Taurus fan.

edit: i am running this fan.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...plication.html
Ebay radiator built in Michigan?

I had tried to fit a Volvo fan prior. It was to thick.

Last edited by cheapthrillb2; 05-08-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #6579 (permalink)

Member # 432985
Ah, ok. I am using Novak's mounts and stuffed the engine into the firewall using the rear-most hole on their mount plates so i had plenty of room to stick a fan. The radiator was from a vendor on ebay called "4wdplaza". It was 105 bucks and comes with a 3yr warranty. Actually quite a nice piece, except for the radiator cap. I tossed it and used the factory one.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #6580 (permalink)

Member # 685714
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrillb2 View Post
Okay I hate asking for help. But looking for some suggestions.

I previously had a stock lm7 (05 5.3). Engine Temps initially I had trouble controlling. After going with the flexalite radiator and fan (tj specific for LS swap) lowering my winch, and closing in the gaps at the top of the radiator along with a 18* tstat. It was manageable and I had no real issues.

I switched to a 6.0 10.5:1 mild build (has about 1k miles on it now) Cooling system exactly the same. Now it shoots right to 210, acts like that's when the tstat opens. Drops to 205-6 then heats up to 210-212 camps out there. Daily driving for the most part it stays right in that 206-214 range. If I start getting into it it heats up past that and takes awhile to cool down. I verified the Temps right, short of installing a mechanical gauge. New T-stat / sensor/ no harness or wiring issue/ even tried a different ecm.

My next "step" is mounting a Tauras fan. The flexalite has never seemed to pull a ton of air. Sealed good against the radiator. Just feel it's lacking in the cfm. Otherwise I'm gonna have to get a larger universal radiator and make it fit. Trying to avoid that. I can't fit taller or thick radiator. Only a wider one. Any opinions suggestions?

Do you already have a High Flow Pump? Made a huge difference for me.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #6581 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ302 View Post
Do you already have a High Flow Pump? Made a huge difference for me.
A huge difference for the better? I ask because so many people say the high flow pumps don't work. The theory being that the water is moving too fast to absorb heat. I've ready about many and talked to a few people in person that put on a high volume pump, then removed it after a short time and went back to a normal pump.
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #6582 (permalink)

Member # 603609
Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
A huge difference for the better? I ask because so many people say the high flow pumps don't work. The theory being that the water is moving too fast to absorb heat. I've ready about many and talked to a few people in person that put on a high volume pump, then removed it after a short time and went back to a normal pump.
I can almost guarantee that is directly correlated to coolant capacity. Low coolant capacity + high flow pump = bad. High fluid capacity + high flow pump = better cooling

RWassink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #6583 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWassink View Post
I can almost guarantee that is directly correlated to coolant capacity. Low coolant capacity + high flow pump = bad. High fluid capacity + high flow pump = better cooling

Do you have more than just a radiator and engine? Like a rear-mounted radiator, or a tank that holds extra fluid in the system? I think most people in this thread have similar V8 conversion radiators and a small overflow tank (that doesn't matter for normal use anyway).
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #6584 (permalink)

Member # 603609
Quote:
Do you have more than just a radiator and engine? Like a rear-mounted radiator, or a tank that holds extra fluid in the system? I think most people in this thread have similar V8 conversion radiators and a small overflow tank (that doesn't matter for normal use anyway).
I still have a front mount radiator but it's much larger than the stock one. The only thing left of my TJ grill is the front shell, the rest had to be trimmed away to fit the radiator.

I do not have a high flow pump though, my comment was just based on the thoughts that came into my head when I read your post and that's what made sense to me.

RWassink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #6585 (permalink)

Member # 685714
Quote:
I have the cheaper radiator. I used to consistently see temps north of 210F while driving around sanely, higher if I was abusing the skinny pedal. The steam port is in the wrong location and the fill cap is on the High Pressure side instead of the Low(or medium since this is a cross flow). I was convinced I needed to upgrade my radiator, having used a flex-a-lite in another vehicle. A friend of mine with a SBC CJ installed a high flow water pump in his rig and it solved his cooling issues. The pump being much lighter on the pocket book then a quality radiator(not bashing Superior) I decided to give it a try. Now I am steady at 186F all day long. On hot days(80+), if stuck in traffic I see the water temp creep up to 192F. I say "hot days" loosely as I live in Washington State and we don't see temps like Phoenix or Las Vegas, and if we are real lucky Summer falls on a weekend.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #6586 (permalink)

Member # 108736
I have a holley water pump for a specific upper hose outlet.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #6587 (permalink)

Member # 685714
Quote:
I have a holley water pump for a specific upper hose outlet.
Not all High Volume pumps are created the same, especially in the lower RPM range where Jeeps need it. Which may be why some people have not noticed a difference between stock and high flow. It could be that my stock pump was worn out and any new pump would have made the difference. If your interested Flowkooler may be able to upgrade your pump.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #6588 (permalink)

Member # 108736
To be honest I never looked to see if the holley was a std flow or high flow. I just needed the specific position of the upper neck. I'll have to go look. This same pump (literally) was on the 5.3 L.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #6589 (permalink)

Member # 108736
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-22-102

Std volume. Being radiator isn't the largest. I don't know if a high volume will work. Coolant would pass through to fast.

Finished the install of the taurus Dan. Just waiting on the relay kit to see what if any good it did.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #6590 (permalink)

Member # 685714
Quote:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-22-102

Std volume. Being radiator isn't the largest. I don't know if a high volume will work. Coolant would pass through to fast.

Finished the install of the taurus Dan. Just waiting on the relay kit to see what if any good it did.
Passing through the radiator too fast is a bit of a wives tale.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #6591 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34955
Hah, I donít post here often but came here to post the exact same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kmkommes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #6592 (permalink)

Member # 305185
Looking to decode this information on my 5.3L engine - any help?

Picture is from the rear Driver's Side of the block.

I know a few things:
5.3L (I confirmed dished pistons)
Cable Throttle
I was told it was from an 03 Tahoe - this is actually one thing that I'd like to confirm by decoding the block stamp
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #6593 (permalink)

Member # 108736
Got the taurus fan installed..... Took it for a spirited ride and never seen above 212 on low or high levels n the fan. Not a solid comparison given ambient Temps. At idle it'll sit on 210-212 indefinitely. If I bump idle to 1200-1500 rpms though temp drops to 202-204. Wonder if a better flowing water pump would help after all. Question is, does anybody offer a high volume drop in pump for the LS housings?

Been fighting with muffler quietness as well. Went to a 3" in/out Hush power is also way better below 2500 rpms. Above it's annoying lol, cackles

Last edited by cheapthrillb2; 05-13-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #6594 (permalink)

Member # 685714
Question is, does anybody offer a high volume drop in pump for the LS housings?

FlowKooler
Old 05-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #6595 (permalink)

Member # 432985
Alright, so the jeeps been running for a couple weeks now so id like to give a general overview of my build for other future reference now that i know everything i assembled works well together. I added comments where i felt necessary. I solved the puzzle for a lot of Advance Adapter and/or Novak's high cost "conversion" parts.
-5.3 LM7
-Novak engine mounts. These went exactly where they said they would in the instructions. I went with the rearmost hole in the engine mount plates, just as the instructions say.
-Novak trans mount. Using this in the lowest position, the heads were really tight to the firewall. If i were to do it again, i would still place the engine brackets where Novak says to, just use the center hole on the mounting plate to bring it forward a tad. I wanted to stuff it as far back as possible to make the shifter easier to modify.
-Novak/Sanderson headers. These are nice pieces. I used Felpro gaskets with them with no problem. I had to trim the drivers side upper control arm mount on the frame to clear the header.
-Dual 2.25" pipes, drivers in front of sump and merges with the passenger side underneath the clutch slave. Single 3" high flow cat to single in/out 3" magnaflow XL muffler. 3" tailpipe was a little tight, but doable.
-Powermaster 9509 starter. This is required to fit in the small space alotted with the above headers. Had a small issue with the ign terminal on it and sent it back for repair at no cost.
-Stock NV3550
-Advance Adapters bellhousing 712591V. The instructions could be better but they get the job done. The [throwout] bearing retainer needs to be shortened. I did so with an angle grinder and it was no issue. Requires old land cruiser clutch slave. Initially bought Centric 13844410. That one leaked right off the bat. Thought it was OK after bleeding but left me stranded. Ordered its Beck Arnley equivalent. MUCH nicer and works great.
-NFW1050 flywheel. Supposedly can use the stock flexplate bolts. I used 12.9 bolts designed for a standard LS1 flywheel.
-Luk 04064, 12" clutch from a 1986 Chevy pickup with a 5.7.
-National 614014 Throwout Bearing.
-The pilot bearing that was in the AA bellhousing kit.
-Ebay wrangler V8 swap radiator. Upper hose is part of a standard 5.3 truck upper with a small adapter to the rad upper neck. Lower is a a Dayco 71904. Lower is for a 1995 or so Ford Explorer with a 5.0.

One pointer i have is to buy an engine with the matching wiring harness, PCM, pedal & TAC (if applicable) and make sure you get the corresponding o2 sensors (or at least their part numbers). I started with a van harness, which led to a o2 sensor issue at the end of the day. I had to swap the pigtails to the truck style and get truck sensors that corresponded to my tune. To go a tad more in depth, i was getting codes for "02 heater circuit resistance". Turns out that the van sensors carry a different heater circuit resistance to the truck sensors.

The issue i am currently trying to solve is code P0507. It is for "idle control speed too high". In most cases this means vacuum leak. The PCM is calling for a certain idle speed and is getting something higher than it. My problem is that i do not have the VSS hooked up, sow i believe that when the TPS is at 0% and the engine is unable to come down to idle (decel), it trips this code. I also get popping on decel and note a fuel smell, so its not entering fuel cutoff on decel either. I know this has been talked about here, but i haven't found any specific talks about my particular setup. I dropped a note with Dakota Digital and they say SGI-5E is what i need. Can anyone here lend their knowledge on using one of their modules to convert the Jeep VSS to agree with the GM PCM? Curious what settings were used. If i find out first, i will be sure to post back.

Edit: after speaking with Dakota, Wayne, and doing some research, I believe i know how this is to be hooked up, which will be proved this weekend. The job that Dakota's module needs to take care of is adapting the Jeep VSS's square wave DC signal to the GM PCM A/C Sin signal that it is looking for. Wayne changed the Pulse Per Revolution in the PCM software to 3, which i believe agrees with my tires and gearing. Looking at DD SGI-5E instructions, i believe i fall under "application #2", and will be hooking it up as such. Will report back.

Last edited by AHenry014; 05-22-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #6596 (permalink)

Member # 432985
Alright so i was able to get Dakota Digital SGI-5E hooked up yesterday and get it working. I reset the light for P0507 and it hasnt come back yet, but i only have two drive cycles on it so far, so we shall see.

On my 2002, there is a white/orange wire going to connector B (the middle one) at the Jeep ECU/BCM. Thats the speed signal from the Jeep VSS. I spliced into that for the "signal in" on the Dakota module. I then found the connector i tucked aside for what would attach to the GM VSS on the LS harness. Looking at the pinout from LT1swap, one wire is the "VSS High" and the other "VSS Low". I attached the "VSS High" to "Out 1" on the module for the "Calibrated AC output signal". Hooked up a fused power & ground and power it up. I then made sure it was setup as it should be for "application 2", so "L-L", which it was. I jacked the back end up in the air so i could get the tires spinning to verify functionality. Started the jeep and stuck it in gear. I verified VSS signal at the DD module looking at the blinking LED on the module's screen. With my scan tool i verified that the PCM was seeing vehicle speed, which it was, so we are good to go!! Like i said before, Wayne changed my VSS PPR to 3. The speed reading that shows on my scanner is close, but it seems to depart more from actual the faster i go. No matter to me, since i am only using it to give the PCM some sort of speed signal to kill P0507 and actually get it to cut fuel on decel. So far so good!! I think this is good info to have here as i did not come across it when reading all 264 pages!

EDIT: All is still well with the DD module. I am looking at going through the actual calibration soon. Since the speedo and what the PCM are seeing doesnt actually match, my top speed is somewhere around 84mph (probably as fast as it should be going anyhow!). The PCM speed limiter is set to 97mph or so, so the DD module needs to be calibrated to get these to match.

Last edited by AHenry014; 11-02-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #6597 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
@AHenry014

What GM ECU are you using?

I'm going to be dealing with this same thing in the not too distant future, but with an E38 ECU, 3ppr VSS in the TC rear output and the same DD module.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #6598 (permalink)

Member # 432985
I am running an 05 PCM from a Blue/Green DBC van. Earlier style to the E38 PCM. Not sure if there is a difference between them.

EDIT: Shoot Dakota Digital an email. They got back to me quickly when i asked if SGI-5E was going to work for my setup. Also, got another days worth of driving on it. Two/three drive cycles and still no light.

Last edited by AHenry014; 05-22-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #6599 (permalink)

Member # 108736
Well the flowkooler made a difference at idle. But that's it. Guess the only thing left at this point is more radiator .
Old 06-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #6600 (permalink)

Member # 839674
Working on a YJ swap.....5.3 with a SM465. Have a used 1721 cam from a '02 Camaro (201/196, 467/479 lift, 116 LSA) sitting around that I was considering putting in as an upgrade over the stock cam. Build is basically for the street. While the 1721 cam is a decent upgrade for a car.....wondering if it is worth the effort for a Jeep. Thoughts?
cobra30689 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in