5.3 Jeeps - Page 269 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #6701 (permalink)

Member # 135533
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonhammer View Post
the more I research the more I can relate, the guy at dirty dingo says "no matter how much money you saved buying that gen 5, you'll spend it trying to get it in your jeep." so that's encouraging. I did get a buddy deal on the motor, so i could probably get out of it pretty easy if i need to.

so far i've found out to run power steering, i need to get a LS water pump and conversion kit, a camaro PS pump, brackets for the PS pump, and i have to ditch the vacuum pump to make it fit which leaves me with no vacuum for brakes? Dirty Dingo also says the Gen 5 motors won't bolt to a turbo 400 or 4l60E trannys without a different bell housing, can anyone confirm this before i send a turbo 400 off to be built?

Couldn’t you use the stock 6 speed, adapt an atlas or other transfer case to it and be ahead of a trans build and bell housing swap? Just tune the motor and trans to work it out in the brain? Seems like it would be smarter, with less problems and trying to insert tab A into tab B when you need a slot. As for the vacuum, an electric vacuum pump!

Sent from my iPhone using Crashalot
Old 01-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #6702 (permalink)

Member # 688946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantski Barney View Post
Couldn’t you use the stock 6 speed, adapt an atlas or other transfer case to it and be ahead of a trans build and bell housing swap? Just tune the motor and trans to work it out in the brain? Seems like it would be smarter, with less problems and trying to insert tab A into tab B when you need a slot. As for the vacuum, an electric vacuum pump!

It came with the 8L90 (8-speed) and its gigantic, i'd have a tough time fitting it in the jeep
1tonhammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #6703 (permalink)

Member # 135533
Oh damn.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #6704 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Run a Hydroboost and not worry about vacuum.

Did the LT ever come with a 6l80/90? If it did, that could be an option. I do know the TCM is internal on the 6l and external on the 8l.

Only good thing abut the 8l, is the 4.53 first gear ratio.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #6705 (permalink)

Member # 35909
Send a message via AIM to Alexia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonhammer View Post
It came with the 8L90 (8-speed) and its gigantic, i'd have a tough time fitting it in the jeep
Is that the 8L90E in the picture you posted? It looks about the same size as the 6L80E. I previously used this source of measurements that indicated the 8L90E is a similar size to the 6L80E.(Which is in my LJ.)
https://paceperformance.com/p-28983-...imensions.html

However, when I was researching the 8L90E the only company I found that made a transfer case adapter is Motech and as far as I can tell they do not sell them to the public. However, I kind of suspect the output flange/bolt pattern might be the same as the 6L80E since GM likes not changing things if they do not have to.
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 09:45 PM   #6706 (permalink)

Member # 35909
Money shot on the ICT Billet brackets I used. L99 with a 6L80E that I will probably finish in the next month.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #6707 (permalink)

Member # 688946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
Money shot on the ICT Billet brackets I used. L99 with a 6L80E that I will probably finish in the next month.

Nice
Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #6708 (permalink)

Member # 305185
What would be the best gearing for:

Primarily Street and Light Trails
32" Tires - AT or MT
LS1 \ 4L60e \ NP241c

Currently have 3.54 gears. I'm wondering if those will be acceptable. I'm guessing that 3.73 or 4.10 would be better. I hate making one jump in gears, so I'd probably want to go to 4.10s

Comments?

Last edited by StanF; 01-30-2019 at 08:28 AM.
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #6709 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post

How did you go about clocking your throttle body? I need to do that.

Edit:

Never mind, found it. Need it. Ordered it.

https://www.ictbillet.com/ls-throttl...lt-tb-dbw.html

Last edited by gt1guy; 01-30-2019 at 10:22 AM.
gt1guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #6710 (permalink)

Member # 35909
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
How did you go about clocking your throttle body? I need to do that.

Edit:

Never mind, found it. Need it. Ordered it.

https://www.ictbillet.com/ls-throttl...lt-tb-dbw.html
Yep! $30 is cheaper than it would cost to get a piece of aluminum bar stock shipped to me to mill it out too.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #6711 (permalink)

Member # 688946
got some answers today - kwik is going to make me a bracket that replaces the a/c compressor with a PS pump and leaves everything else stock, vacuum pump, water pump ect, so thats tits

standaloneharness.com is gonna chop the harness up to make it run standalone w/ the TH400 and tune the computer to get a few extra HPs outa the 5.3. and TCI has the flexplate/space needed to make the Th400 bolt to the LT motor.

Things are looking up at the moment, need to nail down motor mounts and headers...
Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #6712 (permalink)

Member # 35909
Anyone know of a Gen 4 drive train with the 6.2L and 6L80E that came with a manually shifted transfer case? I feel like I am looking for some unicorn configuration that may have only came on stripper GM trucks. I am trying to avoid having to run a TCCM for the E38 ECM to know about the transfer case.(Since it has pin inputs for 4WD low and VSS.)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:09 AM   #6713 (permalink)

Member # 864470
Hi guys, I have just read all they way through this and phew man it took some reading
I have a tj and im looking to put in a l98 in it. Its an ls2 with ls3 heads we have in Australia.
I am trying to do it with out a suspension lift as we are limited by the law here as to what we can do.
I see the AA adaptors say you can do it as long as you dont run aircon. I will simply relocate the aircon. So who has done what the same thing I am trying to do.
Thanks in advance
waxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #6714 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxy View Post
Hi guys, I have just read all they way through this and phew man it took some reading
I have a tj and im looking to put in a l98 in it. Its an ls2 with ls3 heads we have in Australia.
I am trying to do it with out a suspension lift as we are limited by the law here as to what we can do.
I see the AA adaptors say you can do it as long as you dont run aircon. I will simply relocate the aircon. So who has done what the same thing I am trying to do.
Thanks in advance
Things will be tight with no lift. I started my swap with a stock TJ no lift. You can see how tight the power steering bracket gets with the front axle in post #5. I think there was only a couple inches of clearance.
ly6-nv4500-dana-60-tj-daily-driver-family-rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kmkommes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #6715 (permalink)

Member # 864470
Thanks I will have a look through the thread.
I just ordered a 2 inch lift kit to make it easier
waxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #6716 (permalink)

Member # 561082
poor heat/excellent cooling. anyone run into not coming up to temp when cold out. I have a 4.8 all stock with a 2 core double pass radiator using factory mechanical fan.
when blew like 50* it wont come past 150* (confirmed by gauge, data and temp gun).
blocked the entire radiator(not grill, cardboard directly on radiator) 20 min ride to work after idling for 5 min before leaving and just hit 200 when I got to work.
when its warm out it sits right at 195.
shtboxyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #6717 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtboxyj View Post
poor heat/excellent cooling. anyone run into not coming up to temp when cold out. I have a 4.8 all stock with a 2 core double pass radiator using factory mechanical fan.
when blew like 50* it wont come past 150* (confirmed by gauge, data and temp gun).
blocked the entire radiator(not grill, cardboard directly on radiator) 20 min ride to work after idling for 5 min before leaving and just hit 200 when I got to work.
when its warm out it sits right at 195.
You know mine has been doing this I suspect my 14 year old thermostat isnt closing all the way but I haven't got around to changing it. I am also running a mech fan and a griffin radiator.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #6718 (permalink)

Member # 561082
im gonna try a thermostat today on my lunch break. I put in new water pump and thermostat when I did the swap in the fall. but just because its new doesn't mean its good.
shtboxyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #6719 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
im gonna try a thermostat today on my lunch break. I put in new water pump and thermostat when I did the swap in the fall. but just because its new doesn't mean its good.
I just did the water pump too but didn't buy a thermostat.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #6720 (permalink)

Member # 146784
Send a message via Yahoo to aemedic
05 EVAP

Since I am required to have emissions here, I am looking for advice on utilizing the Jeeps EVAP canister and tubing and adding only the GM components that are necessary. I am using an 01 5.3 and I'm thinking of just adding the fuel tank pressure sensor and the inline vent solenoid. Will the system work in that configuration? If not, what is the easiest way to set it up so that it is functional?

In regards to adding the tank pressure sensor, what is the easiest and most appropriate process for adding it?

I did search but didn't find the answers to these specific questions.

I appreciate your insight!
Old 03-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #6721 (permalink)

Member # 35909
These are the two radiator hoses the worked great for my setup with a bit of shortening.

Radiator Hose, Lower(Short S Shape) - Gates 23037 - 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Commander with V8
Radiator Hose, Upper(Large L Shape) - Gates 22356 - 2000 Chevrolet S10 L4
Old 03-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #6722 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
So I am starting to think its my fan clutch. Any luck with the t-stat?
Old 03-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #6723 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpi0 View Post
So I am starting to think its my fan clutch. Any luck with the t-stat?
Ok update my issue was the t-stat replaced this morning and all is well.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #6724 (permalink)

Member # 101521
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemedic View Post
Since I am required to have emissions here, I am looking for advice on utilizing the Jeeps EVAP canister and tubing and adding only the GM components that are necessary. I am using an 01 5.3 and I'm thinking of just adding the fuel tank pressure sensor and the inline vent solenoid. Will the system work in that configuration? If not, what is the easiest way to set it up so that it is functional?

In regards to adding the tank pressure sensor, what is the easiest and most appropriate process for adding it?

I did search but didn't find the answers to these specific questions.

I appreciate your insight!
Tank pressure sensor I have done two things, drilled a hole in the top of the tank, put the sensor in and sealed it with a product called "Seal All", That was with the Stock TJ tank, I just switched to the genright tank and drilled a hole and put it in the top part of the fuel sender assembly. Both have worked fine. As far as the emissions go, you have to run all 4 O2 sensors with a cat, and then use all of the GM evap stuff. Plumb it all correctly and it will pass. I just had mine done through MD emissions which is a plug into the ECM while its running.

Last edited by rcherb; 03-12-2019 at 11:10 AM.
rcherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #6725 (permalink)

Member # 146784
Send a message via Yahoo to aemedic
Thank you for the reply.

I am going to install them by tapping into the purge line near the tank. I don’t think there should be a problem and I don’t need to drill holes in the tank or sender.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in