Jeeps with truck cabs - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 49939
Lots of nice pics, I need a 8' flatbed so I must run a separate bed and cab. It does not appear the gr8 top will follow the curve of the rear of the TJ tub if it was shortend.
________
Querti

Last edited by comeonstart; 08-24-2011 at 03:12 AM.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep937 View Post
Here is a cleaner chop from later in the thread.
Stock LJ:

Stretched LJ:
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 88108
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonstart View Post
Lots of nice pics, I need a 8' flatbed so I must run a separate bed and cab. It does not appear the gr8 top will follow the curve of the rear of the TJ tub if it was shortend.
The tub has a curve and the Gr8Tops top has an angle, but it does fit and it does seal fine. Gr8Tops asked me to try one on my tub, so they lent me one for a few months to try out, here are some photos. It was a very fine quality hardtop, it sealed well everywhere, including the rear tub corners. I had plans to build a custom metal hardtop (photo earlier in this thread), so I didn't keep the Gr8Tops top, but had I not been planning to build the custom top, I would have kept theirs.

BTW, I don't know if it shows in the photo, but TDK made the back corners of their tub to match the angle on the Gr8Tops top. They also made the front corners of their bed the same style.

I'm sure I took some detail photos of the tub vs. hardtop corners, because Gr8Tops asked me to send them some, but I may not have kept them, I'll have to look around on my hard disk...
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 49939
Thats the info I was looking for, This top might be the ticket! How did you decide how much to leave behind the seats? could you pull a measurement from some fixed point to the inside of the back of the tub?
________
Wong Amat Tower Condominium Pattaya

Old 01-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 88108
Quote:
Thats the info I was looking for, This top might be the ticket! How did you decide how much to leave behind the seats? could you pull a measurement from some fixed point to the inside of the back of the tub?
If you're talking about the Gr8Tops top (also same size as the Brute top), here's the answer:

Old 01-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 49939
Thanks, I will get started on my build!
________
Headshop

Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46168
good thread, I'm planning on doing the same thing to my jeep.

'00 Excursion - cummins/nv4500, 05+ coil suspension/dana 60
'54 International R112
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 140106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
The hardtop on the TDK Prospector is a Gr8Tops hardtop, and it is exactly the same size as the Brute hardtop.
From the Gr8Tops website:
The “Prospector” is sporting one of the newly released GR8TOPS “xtended” model of our half hardtops.

I guess that doesn't prove much, they sure look different though
tbecktold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 88108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbecktold View Post
From the Gr8Tops website:
The “Prospector” is sporting one of the newly released GR8TOPS “xtended” model of our half hardtops.

I guess that doesn't prove much, they sure look different though
BTW it's the same Gr8Tops top that's in the photo of my red Wrangler pickup earlier, and the same one that requires the 61" tub length I posted a photo of.

The non-xtended Gr8Tops top is a few inches shorter, but I wouldn't recommend it because it severely cramps your seat position - you can't recline when the seat is slid all the way back. The xtended top provides for a cab that's large enough for me to be comfortable, I'm 6' 6".
Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 128287
Send a message via AIM to 1wd B-series
subscribed ... great pics so far
Old 01-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Local guy has one... Hoping to see it on the trail soon

Last edited by Mr.N; 01-24-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Mr.N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 67831
this is a comment to the black ruby with red sim-locks, it was owned and had built by a friend of mine English Dave from KC.. It was a ruby LJ and never stretched it did have a crazy air bag suspension and after BTF had it all I can say was WOW. As far as I knew he sold it some time ago.. Where did it go? Dan did an awesome job on the cage and it had a badass tintop under the top.. nice to see it again..
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...g101/Jeep3.jpg

My new Shit
buggy build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tripleXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 51892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleXJ View Post
this is a comment to the black ruby with red sim-locks, it was owned and had built by a friend of mine English Dave from KC.. It was a ruby LJ and never stretched it did have a crazy air bag suspension and after BTF had it all I can say was WOW. As far as I knew he sold it some time ago.. Where did it go? Dan did an awesome job on the cage and it had a badass tintop under the top.. nice to see it again..
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...g101/Jeep3.jpg
I dont know about the rest of the Jeep but he sold me the hanson bumpers that were on it until it went to BTF and yes the airbags were interesting.
AMCv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 129691
man I would love have one of these for a dd, I might have to pick up another tj and do this...
Msawin42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
There are pictures somewhere on the net of exactly what you are talking about. It was a grayish-green TJ with the Brute cab and top conversion, minus the bed, and 40" MTRs. I remember it because the front end looked great and the crappy flatbed killed the whole look. IIRC, the Jeep was owned by some shop but the front end and Hemi conversion was done by AEV. It was in one of the 4x4 mags. The rig was rolled in Gilmer, TX and not a single straight boddy panel after that.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #41 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
See this thread for ideas.

Bobbed flatbed build-up
http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=300

Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 88108
I'm in the process of designing/prototyping a custom fiberglass series of modular hardtops to fit CJ's, YJ's and TJ/LJ's. Here's a few photos of a 1:18 scale model of the half-cab on an LJ. These could end up being commercially produced, discussions are underway...

The series of tops would include both half-cabs and full-length cabs, all assembled from a series of modular components, many of which are shared among all variants of the top.

If you want to follow along, the thread is here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...roject-952157/, sorry, it isn't on pirate.

jeff

Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #43 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Just throwing this one out there because it is pretty sweet. I have wondered about running real fenders instead of the plastic ones.

"Brutus"
http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=1294

Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #44 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
The tub has a curve and the Gr8Tops top has an angle, but it does fit and it does seal fine. Gr8Tops asked me to try one on my tub, so they lent me one for a few months to try out, here are some photos. It was a very fine quality hardtop, it sealed well everywhere, including the rear tub corners. I had plans to build a custom metal hardtop (photo earlier in this thread), so I didn't keep the Gr8Tops top, but had I not been planning to build the custom top, I would have kept theirs.

BTW, I don't know if it shows in the photo, but TDK made the back corners of their tub to match the angle on the Gr8Tops top. They also made the front corners of their bed the same style.

I'm sure I took some detail photos of the tub vs. hardtop corners, because Gr8Tops asked me to send them some, but I may not have kept them, I'll have to look around on my hard disk...
Are the AEV and GR8 hard tops interchangeable? I assume the winshield frame attachments would be interchangeable but I am wondering if the new bulkheads are close enough?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #45 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
BTW it's the same Gr8Tops top that's in the photo of my red Wrangler pickup earlier, and the same one that requires the 61" tub length I posted a photo of.

The non-xtended Gr8Tops top is a few inches shorter, but I wouldn't recommend it because it severely cramps your seat position - you can't recline when the seat is slid all the way back. The xtended top provides for a cab that's large enough for me to be comfortable, I'm 6' 6".
Do the new GR9 tops have the same amount of room as the AEV top on the Brute? Is the Brute cab cramped?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 88108
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.R.K View Post
Are the AEV and GR8 hard tops interchangeable? I assume the winshield frame attachments would be interchangeable but I am wondering if the new bulkheads are close enough?
A Gr8Tops "xtended" top will fit on a Brute and will seal properly.

I believe a Brute top will need some minor trimming to fit on a standard tub, because it is designed for the Brute tub, where the top rails of the tub curve all the way around the back of the tub. To use a Brute top on a standard tub, you'd have to clearance the bottom of the hardtop to go over the stock tub's side rail.

I suspect a Gr8Tops bulkhead would work with a Brute top on a standard Wrangler tub, but I'm sure you could give Gr8Tops a call and ask them that. They sell bulkheads and tops to the guys that make the RubiTrux, and those guys use both Brute and Gr8Tops tops on the Rubitrux conversions.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 88108
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.R.K View Post
Do the new GR9 tops have the same amount of room as the AEV top on the Brute? Is the Brute cab cramped?
Yes, they have the same amount of room. You can slide the seat all the way back on the sliders, and I can recline mine far enough to be comfortable. Of course you can't recline it all the way because it's a pickup cab, but I'm 6' 6" and I've driven mine all comfortably the way from upstate NY to Moab and back.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
Yes, they have the same amount of room. You can slide the seat all the way back on the sliders, and I can recline mine far enough to be comfortable. Of course you can't recline it all the way because it's a pickup cab, but I'm 6' 6" and I've driven mine all comfortably the way from upstate NY to Moab and back.
Thanks for the input. Regardless of you answer I would still sacrifice being cramped to DD a Brute.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #49 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Quote:
I'm in the process of designing/prototyping a custom fiberglass series of modular hardtops to fit CJ's, YJ's and TJ/LJ's. Here's a few photos of a 1:18 scale model of the half-cab on an LJ. These could end up being commercially produced, discussions are underway...

The series of tops would include both half-cabs and full-length cabs, all assembled from a series of modular components, many of which are shared among all variants of the top.

If you want to follow along, the thread is here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...roject-952157/, sorry, it isn't on pirate.

jeff
This is Pirate4x4. You need to put bigger tires on your model for people on here to notice it.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Here are a couple more threads for truck bed conversions. The CJ-10a is a popular start but the same rear conversion can be done on any rig. Ideally the new TJ with the creature comforts you are looking for. Time to get Photoshop fired up.

Project Tugger CJ-10
https://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=cj+10a

Another CJ-10A project
https://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=cj+10a
In progress. I would like to see this approach with the rear fenders pushed back for better depature angle and appearance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in