The saga never ends... need rear d-shaft for YJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2001, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 143
Post The saga never ends... need rear d-shaft for YJ

Yup, same YJ again... the background is our friend had her YJ out with us in the Pismo Dunes. She gets it stuck in the bottom of a bowl. While trying to get out, the rear axle started hopping, and she ended up breaking the spider gears.

Then one of the broken teeth wedged itself in the R&P, which locked the back end, and the Xfer case output shaft blew. So we flat towed her YJ home.

She's a poor student, so told her I'd fix it for free, she's just need to cover whatever parts are needed. Thanks to the generousity of 2 people on this BBS we got the Jeep back on the road lickity split... but its had a driveline vibe ever since.

Just this weekend I got the rear shaft down to a driveline shop, and sure enough, it was out of round. They didn't have time this weekend to re-tube it, so its still bent. (oh, and driveable... with only moderate vibes)

We could have the shaft retubed... but thought we'd start by finding a cheap, stock replacement. Any of you guys have your stock YJ rear drive shafts laying around? Email me and let me know what you want for it! Thanks
Scott Wilson - Member #143 - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 - SOLD -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1988 4Runner v2.0 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
swilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2001, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5546
sent you an email
ProMod #76 - Maxxis Tires, Dr. Smash Designs, Reno4x4.com, Bayshore Truck Equipment
dennisuello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2001, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 143
Excellent, assuming Denis is free later this evening, I'll be stopping by to buy his old shaft.

Thanks!
1966 FJ40 - SOLD -

1988 4Runner v2.0 -

Old 08-13-2001, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5546
Scott, I will not get home till about 9:00 tonight, can we meet after that? Where in San Jose are you?

Quote:
Originally posted by swilson:
<STRONG>Excellent, assuming Denis is free later this evening, I'll be stopping by to buy his old shaft.

Thanks!</STRONG>
ProMod #76 - Maxxis Tires, Dr. Smash Designs, Reno4x4.com, Bayshore Truck Equipment
dennisuello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2001, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 143
It didn't work out after all... the u-joint on the pinion-end of Denis' 92 drive shaft was much smaller than the one on Sara's YJ. Also the tube was longer than the tube on the 95. I'll be returning the shaft to him today.

Anyone in the south bay area have a stock driveshaft that will fit?

Can anyone tell me what years I can pull shafts from?? I had guessed that they were pretty much the same though the years....wrong.

Sara's is a 95 YJ with a Dana 35C rear end.
1966 FJ40 - SOLD -

1988 4Runner v2.0 -
Old 08-14-2001, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5685
Send a message via Yahoo to ChinLei
Quote:
Originally posted by swilson:
<STRONG>It didn't work out after all... the u-joint on the pinion-end of Denis' 92 drive shaft was much smaller than the one on Sara's YJ. Also the tube was longer than the tube on the 95. I'll be returning the shaft to him today.

Anyone in the south bay area have a stock driveshaft that will fit?

Can anyone tell me what years I can pull shafts from?? I had guessed that they were pretty much the same though the years....wrong.

Sara's is a 95 YJ with a Dana 35C rear end.</STRONG>

Is it a 5 speed or auto? I know that makes a difference on a TJ, prob does on a YJ also. I have a rear driveshaft out of a '93 with a 6-cyl and 5-speed. It would take a while to ship it to you but I'd sell it for $20 if you can't find one locally.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 143
Its a 95, 5-spd, D35C, 4.0 I6

Thanks for the offer... Hopefully I can source one locally, and not have to risk shipping one that 'might not' be the right one.
1966 FJ40 - SOLD -

1988 4Runner v2.0 -
Old 08-14-2001, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 143
1966 FJ40 - SOLD -

1988 4Runner v2.0 -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in