01' xj build Need help!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 278994
01' xj build Need help!!!

I am staring to build my 1st wheeler! It is my wifes old everyday driver an 01 xj. I want to go with a non leaf spring lift, either 3 or 4 link. Not sure what the difference is really. I live in michigan and we do alot of wheelin in all types of terrain(snow, rock, mud, and sand). I am looking for the best way to acheive a 4-6" lift. I am capable of custom fabrication and have most of the needed tools. I guess my question is should what should i do, order a kit from ruff stuff or ballistic or one of that sort. Or should i tackle this on my own? I have a limited budget and i don't want this to take all summe! Yout advice is greatly appreaciated! Happy wheelin!
hall8211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 66173
A "kit" from ruffstuff is still essentially building it yourself. The rock crawler kit is the only rear 4 link off the shelf kit I am aware of. Forget about the amount of lift, choose a tire size and then go from there. You don't need to go through the hassle of losing the rear leafs for Michigan trails.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 278994
i want to run 35's, so what size lift should i target for those size tires?
hall8211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 108288
Just log on to naxja.org and search! Matter of fact use the search button on any of the forums and it will bring up so much info you won't want to read it all! But to answer your question you can run 4.5" of lift with some good fender trimming and be just fine.
twigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 230851
Yeah, check out naxja for more info on this.
I am in the process of building a 35's 6.5 c/s l/s xj, and have been working on it since december, only one or two days a week, and there's still a bunch more to be done.
There is alot that needs to be done on an xj if you want it to structurally last, unibody stiffeners, rock rails, etc...
If you've never tackled a link job, there is alot of great reading on this site that can help you out. Lot more calculations than you thing if you want it to work right. But honestly, for your first build, I'd stick with leafs in the back, they do flex rather well.
Unless you can focus on this thing everyday for 10 hr/day, a full custom link front/rear link setup is gonna take you more than a month. Probably closer to all summer.
If you want off the shelf stuff, try clayton, they do sell a 4 link setup for the rear, i went with the leafs in the back, as i'm doing this in steps. My plan is to wheel this until I break the axles, then swap in ton's and go with a home-brew 4 link rear.
Ericlouie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Id do a temporary leaf spring lift 4.5in in the rear and build your own long arm front. search through the 3 link thread.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...spensions.html

After you do the front then get some seat time on it and do the rear
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...uspension.html

You might get hooked and do axles swaps and what not.... plans will change so break it up into smaller projects.

Check out ballistic, Artec, dirt-fab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AZ Undertaker
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in