Replacing old OEM lap-seatbelts with.....? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 114569
Question Replacing old OEM lap-seatbelts with.....?

Hello! I have a 1974 CJ-5 for reference...

I have decided that this year I should really do something about my seat-belts. All I have are the original, old, single lap belt. I use my jeep 95% off road (with no doors on), and I do not feel that in the event of a rollover or crash, that the lap belts will do much good.

I still have the original jeep seats with a low back, though I do plan on getting some high backed seats soon.

I am trying to decide between a regular retractable shoulder/lap belt, or a 3 point harness like this one:
Corbeau Products

The reason I was thinking about the 3 point, is because I feel it will do a better job at keeping us in the jeep in the even something bad happens. The last thing I want to happen is for my lady to get hurt jeeping.

I have seen that people have to get a special harness bar behind the seat, or new seats or something of that fashion to hook the belts to. My problem is that I use the back seat alllll the time, so having something like this would not work well for me.

So my question is; what would be the effect of just taking and mounting the 3rd point belt directly to the roll bar behind the seat. I KNOW that the instructions say that that would be too much of an angle, but let me stress, I am not racing this jeep. It wont go over 35 if I wanted it to. And.....

....The way I look at it, the regular everyday 1 shoulder belt that I could get mounts just about at the top of the roll bar anyway, and those seem to work, so why cant I take and have the 2 shoulder harnesses go a little higher to the roll bar and call it good?

Th

Fill me it please! Thanks!
Tucker Terra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 114569
No comments on this?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
I was hoping someone would, too

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
E. Spengler

Member # 206384
I think some pics would help, even just ones from the web. I'm not too clear what you're asking...

Generally speaking, shoulder belts should be mounted about shoulder level or slightly higher- NEVER lower! If they're mounted lower than shoulder level, in an impact they'll crush your spine.

If they're mounted way high, like it sounds like you're suggesting, they'll only be partly effective. They'll keep you back in the seat, but not down in it.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 220980
I installed 3 point belts in my 75 CJ5. Was kind of a pain gettting the shoulder part positioned just right, but they work. You really need to buy a bung for the bolt that holds the shoulder part. I installed mine in the roll bar. For the most party I used original bolt holes. FWIW I replaced my low backs with some higher Corbeau seats.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 114569
I uploaded some pictures onto photobucket. I have attached the link. I am sorry, I know it is a pain, but I could not load the photos on here. So if you want to see the pictures of what I want to do, You can go to this link and see them both.

Seat Belts Photos by TuckerTerra | Photobucket

thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 114569
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoZilla View Post
I installed 3 point belts in my 75 CJ5. Was kind of a pain gettting the shoulder part positioned just right, but they work. You really need to buy a bung for the bolt that holds the shoulder part. I installed mine in the roll bar. For the most party I used original bolt holes. FWIW I replaced my low backs with some higher Corbeau seats.
Perfect. So they seem to work well and you trust them like that then?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 220980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker Terra View Post
Perfect. So they seem to work well and you trust them like that then?
Yes, they work like that.. Eventually I'll get a full cage and probly install 4 point belts..
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Snooty Poser

Member # 83100
With what you intend to do, the shoulder part of the harness will do very little. Since the fabric strap doesn't resist bending at all, it has the be lined up so it's in tension. If you don't want a harness bar, you may as well use a lap belt. I am going through the whole thing myself, I'm kind of becoming resigned to having to have the grandkids climb into the rear seat some other way. I was kind of thinking about a centerpost with a crosspiece. I don't know if a full size human can get back there, anyway. Maybe a harness bar and all the bracing higher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
The older I get the more I realize mayhem is for young people who don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BeatCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142386
The old lap belts in my cj saved my life once...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in