Recommend me some ball joints. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 75427
Recommend me some ball joints.

Need to do my Ball joints - 02 TJ d-30.

I have done some searching and the more I read the less I know what to buy

I am finding threads saying Moog has gone to shit, which is what I would have bought. I also found a thread here about XRF from 2010, but a lot could have changed. I found a thread recently on another board praising Synergy (these - Synergy Suspension Ball Joint Set for 84-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, TJ Unlimited, YJ, Cherokee XJ, Comanche MJ & Grand Cherokee ZJ - Quadratec)

I have a press, I know what I am doing (sort of) just don't know what is good. I just want to do it once, and not have to worry again.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 78847
synergy

/thread
Old 04-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 161756
I've got a set of Synergy ball joints on order. Everything I have read says sintered metal bushings is the way to go. More greasing, but much tougher.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 76609
Location: Pilot Hill, CA now Woodland, CA; 1 hour further from the con :(
Are Rubicon ball joints the same as the non-rubicon ball joints? This would be for an 04 Rubicon.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186755
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothillcrawler View Post
Are Rubicon ball joints the same as the non-rubicon ball joints? This would be for an 04 Rubicon.
They should all run the same ball joints as they all run the same outters. Be aware there is a TSB out for some TJ front d30 housings that came out of alignment from factory that need special ball joints with camber built in. Synergy only sells the OEM non "adjustable" replacements unfortunately.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 444874
When I worked in a shop we always used Moog's "Problem Solver" line and never had issues, that said we didn't have too many customers that wheeled.
Mercwri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 312354
problem solvers use a powdered metal bearing (sintered are powdered metal)
ironmangq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 42887
Send a message via ICQ to stealthjeep1
Synergy ball joints all the way. Very impressed with my set. Had them on a year or so now. They hold up great. Running 35's, been on Fordyce, Rubicon and that kind of stuff with them installed.
97 TJ, 4.0L, Manual, 4.5" RE Superflex Kit, 35" BFG KM2's
78 CJ5, 4.2L, Manual, 3" Skyjacker Lift, 32" Goodyear MTR's.
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4, 5.7L Hemi
2003 Ford F250 4x4 CCSB 6.0L Diesel

Never met a rock I wouldn't park on.
stealthjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
In the same boat here. I don't mind spending the money for the poly joints, but I would like to hear feedback on the xrf's or if the moog problem solver joint is still available? My stock joints have 95k on them, 10k of that with 37's and are still fine. I'm just doing preventative replacement of the bj's and ub's. Axle specs are rubi44, rcv's, big pinion gears, TeraFlex crossover steering.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
My Synergy joints wore out faster than any joints I've ran. Moog have last me the longest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
My Synergy joints wore out faster than any joints I've ran. Moog have last me the longest.
A friend installed synergy joints in a ford hp44 and he had to come home on a tow truck from the first trip.... and they are the most expensive option that I'm looking at. Read reports of the standard moog line being junk and I did just have a FM tre go bad in less than 500 miles. I run 4" BS wheels and think that helps keep the bj's and tre's alive.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 129617
Napa chassis lifetime warranty is what I will use when I replace my ball joints.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 67606
I don't see Spicer mentioned by anyone. What's the experience with Spicer ball joints?
Kickin'Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin'Chicken View Post
I don't see Spicer mentioned by anyone. What's the experience with Spicer ball joints?
My stock ones are still tight. Spicer's were a close second on my list. I went with the moog "problem solver" joints because I believe that metal bearing design is heavier duty. If the moog's don't hold up, I will go Spicer.

It is also my belief that those with chronic ball joint issues have a problem elsewhere; too shallow of a wheel bs, too much spacer, or alignment issues.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Get some with a lifetime warranty and replace them when they start to get some play. With the D30 ball joints, it pretty much doesn't matter what you use, they are going to wear out if you wheel. They really aren't bad to replace and can be done in an afternoon. My experience has taught me to buy the ones with the warranty and use the heck out of it.
dannyz14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 613514
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz14 View Post
Get some with a lifetime warranty and replace them when they start to get some play. With the D30 ball joints, it pretty much doesn't matter what you use, they are going to wear out if you wheel. They really aren't bad to replace and can be done in an afternoon. My experience has taught me to buy the ones with the warranty and use the heck out of it.
I have to think the number of folks that look forward to replacing their ball joints annually is near or exactly zero, and that's the lifespan of the lifetime warrantee joints once you put big tires on and start beating on them. Not to mention how much everyone loves ending a day of wheeling early because some chucklehead wanted to save a few bucks with Crowns.

Spend the few extra bucks on Spicers, which will hold up to more abuse. If you're feeling like spending some coin and can commit to being religious about greasing, go with the Synergys for tires that size.
Apodyopsis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in