aluminum products vs road salt - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 113765
aluminum products vs road salt

I'm curious now that guys have been running them for a few years how are your aluminum skids, bumpers, and links are holding up. I'd like to run aluminum on my new rig but if I decide to go winter wheeling I don't want to ruin the parts.
Commando81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Savvy Off Road

Member # 110540
Aluminum will oxides unless you treat or coat it will something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on Facebook for the latest news and pictures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Provelogear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
ATM

Member # 223662
Like mentioned before it will oxidize, but polishing well keep it looking good or you could powder coat it. I run a powder coated sled deck and had a all alum sled trailer, both of which are preferable over steel due to the lack of rust with winter conditions and road salt.
ATM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 113765
aluminum products vs road salt

I was thinking a liberal coating of clear or plastidip
Commando81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 218507
We use POR-15 clearcoat. Crazy tough. Haven't found anything better.
MEREDITHMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 46229
We use a lot of aluminum parts and bodies on our trucks at work for weight savings. The state of IL is notorious for using lots of road salt. Rust is nothing more than how carbon steel oxidizes. Aluminum also oxidizes, it just not called rust. Aluminum will become pitted, flaky, perforated just like rust, its merely just another color of oxidation. Polishing aluminum doesn't stop or slow oxidation, a coating will such as Type III anodizing will. There are several other types of anodizing but only Type III (hard anodizing) will last and not get scratched off easily, but it is not a cheap process. After years of running aluminum bodies I can't say that aluminum really lasts any longer than a steel body. The Mfgs. sold us on the premiss that their aluminum bodies can be reused on a new chassis when the old chassis was replaced because they don't rust. In reality this was not the case due to oxidation.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
D45

Member # 102974
How does the Plasti Dip actually hold up.........I am thinking about doing my running boards in it, but dont want to respray every other week
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 46229
I don't know how it would hold up to road salt. The only thing I have seen "plasti-dipped" were tool handles, like pliars, wire cutters, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in