1972 Cj5 minor build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
AJ5

Member # 527226
1972 Cj5 minor build

I'm a new member here (yes I posted in the introduction thread). This build up is mainly for my own records, I will be putting up pictures of what needs to be fixed and after they are done. Enjoy all the crazy shit I find!

1972 CJ5
AMC 304 (swapped after original jumped time)
M/C 2100
T-18 and D20 from FSJ? The transfer case has a U shift pattern.
D30, D44
SOA

I picked this up for $1000 from my sister when she needed some cash. Her boyfriend was a backyard mechanic that also had a bad habit, so I'm not surprised to see some of the "issues" with this jeep. As far as I know she got the Jeep for $1500 and her boyfriend worked on it a little. I know for sure that he did the engine swap when it threw the timing chain, and his re-wire was far from pretty/functional. It was used by them as a hunting/off road jeep, never driven on the street as they live out in the sticks. The first thing I did when I got it home was start in on the wiring in the engine bay. After I got it all situated and working properly I started to go over it to get familiar with it and that brings me here.

The Good:
Everything seems to work as it should. The motor sounds healthy, but the carb needs a rebuild. Four wheel drive works, all lights work, and most of the gauges work (no fuel sending unit hooked up). The brakes function as far as I can tell, although I havent driven it any great distance, just on and off the trailer and a few hundred feet. It has power steering.

The Bad:
Its got some rust, needs a new battery tray, and still has some wiring that needs to be replaced.

Because who needs a new cable anyway?

I guess a Jeep technically is a carriage, but come on.

They gusseted the other side, why not the rear?

Welding rod, not just for welding!

Missing body mounts

This shock mount needs some serious bracing/re doing.

I dont even know what to say on this one.
AJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
AJ5

Member # 527226
Bent front drive line. Yes, that is a fuel hose.

This body mount that doesnt even attach to the body.

Under seat gas tank, lets just duct tape over the hole!

The p/o didnt have any silicone when installing the under seat tank, so he used boogers instead.

Trans tunnel looks like it went to some dicey plastic surgeon in Mexico and got the $19 special.

I think the windshield had a habit of jumping off. This should hold it.

I dont plan to make some insane rock crawler, I just want a decent rig that I can take out moderate trails and not worry about brush scratches and dents and broken parts. Ive been to the hammers a few times and always take quads, I'd like to take something a little more comfortable next time I go, my knees were killing me last year! For now I will be keeping the drive train the way it is, I dont plan on running larger than 33's and there isnt much around here that technical, mainly forest roads and some trails off of those roads. I will keep updating as I find more things wrong/ fix those things.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 220980
Jeez I got a chuckle out of that.. The carriage bolt takes the cake..

Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Custom flat plate spring perch too
Travis..
Old 12-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
AJ5

Member # 527226
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoZilla View Post
Jeez I got a chuckle out of that.. The carriage bolt takes the cake..
Ive been trying to laugh things like that off, but the more I find the harder it gets. I can see being on the trial and needing a bolt, but I know thats not the case, and the damn thing isnt enough long enough to thread through the entire nut

I did a little work on the interior today. The seats it came with were disgusting. I ripped those out and the half assed angle iron that was holding them and fabbed a new mounting bar out of 1-1/2" square tube. The seats are out of a Ramcharger and are a little beat up, but some seat covers will do the trick for now. Also added an ammo can that I will be making into a center console to house the cb, stereo, and other junk, and welded some VW aviation cylinders to the console frame for cupholders.

Also got started on a trans tunnel cover to close the hole up until I can get a new tunnel.

The dash was cut up pretty bad, and I had a galvanized sheet laying around so I cut out a blank.

I dont know if you can tell in the last picture, but thats a grant wheel. Welded to the grant adapter.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 867604
good start with a turd, ya set back look around and continue
hotrod01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 871052
Good luck I'll be watching
Harley Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 06:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 656673
This should be interesting to watch...and it makes me feel better about some of my "repairs". Lol.
JQMack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in