Project Malibu Barbie - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #101 (permalink)
Slab King

Member # 775225
I was psyched on the 4:1 first gear and reports of strength on the nv3550...

But honestly if/when this thing grenades and if I decide to stick with a 5 speed, I'll absolutely go back to an external slave AX-15 over another 3550.

The 3550 is nothing but headaches every summer trying to chase down grindy synchros. It just doesn't like the heat. And it comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. In the Summer, some days it's fine, some days the synchros are just gonna grind on every shift unless you're double clutching and giving a 5 count between gears.

Adjusting the clutch, swapping to different fluids, new synchros, always the same result.

Never had a single issue with the AX-15.

Just my personal experience. I really dig your build and looking forward to seeing the 5.2 swap unfold.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:57 PM   #102 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186755
I preferred an AX15 over the 3550 but I feel like this was a good deal and it gets the ball rolling. Can always keep an eye out for one to replace the 3550.

What oils have you tried in yours? Just curious as I was thinking of getting some nice fluid to put in it (amsoil maybe?)

The 4 squirrels have never done me wrong and I may be a dumbass for taking out an engine that runs fine, but it's time for more HP. I really enjoy driving this thing on the street, but it's been getting more and more annoying. I don't love feeling like I'm wringing every last bit of power out of it all the time.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:00 AM   #103 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobrorunner View Post
The 4 squirrels have never done me wrong and I may be a dumbass for taking out an engine that runs fine, but it's time for more HP. I really enjoy driving this thing on the street, but it's been getting more and more annoying. I don't love feeling like I'm wringing every last bit of power out of it all the time.
heheh. I hear ya. I was just talking with a friend about his Jeep (also a 4cyl) and how if I were to do it again I'd want a granny gear four-speed, doubler, some 4.88's, and .... yeah. There's a reason my YJ has a hopped up 302.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP SCREWZER2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 07:10 AM   #104 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186755
Quote:
Originally Posted by the freeak View Post
heheh. I hear ya. I was just talking with a friend about his Jeep (also a 4cyl) and how if I were to do it again I'd want a granny gear four-speed, doubler, some 4.88's, and .... yeah. There's a reason my YJ has a hopped up 302.
I definitely should've finished the doubler I had all the parts for at one time. It would really help it offroad and I would be more hesitant to an engine swap.

I would also stick with 35s. I think the 37s are a big jump and most of the wheeling I do I could do with the smaller tire.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #105 (permalink)
Slab King

Member # 775225
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobrorunner View Post
I preferred an AX15 over the 3550 but I feel like this was a good deal and it gets the ball rolling. Can always keep an eye out for one to replace the 3550.

What oils have you tried in yours? Just curious as I was thinking of getting some nice fluid to put in it (amsoil maybe?)

I've run Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline MTL, and Redline MT90. The Redline fluids are working best, Haven't noticed a difference in performance between the MTL, Which is 75w80, and the MT90, which is 75w90.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:50 AM   #106 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186755

My wife rolled her eyes at our new yard art, but this thing was 2 miles down the road and $500.

Hoping I can off the 2wd auto to some mopar guy so he can have overdrive in his cruiser, but I don't know if people are into that.

Got it running last night. Fuel pump is bad, cut a hole in the bed and rigged up a spare inline pump and bam! Fired right up, idled well, and stayed cool at idle.

Talking to a guy on FB about a flipped D300 with all the goodies. Last steps are the bellhousing, motor/trans mount, and some rock auto parts.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #107 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
You and your pristine California vehicles. That truck would be see-through around here (PA), and I'd spend three weeks spraying every critical bolt with penetrant, only to break 1/5 of them anyway.

RIP SCREWZER2
Old 03-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonJeep View Post
I was psyched on the 4:1 first gear and reports of strength on the nv3550...

But honestly if/when this thing grenades and if I decide to stick with a 5 speed, I'll absolutely go back to an external slave AX-15 over another 3550.

The 3550 is nothing but headaches every summer trying to chase down grindy synchros. It just doesn't like the heat. And it comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. In the Summer, some days it's fine, some days the synchros are just gonna grind on every shift unless you're double clutching and giving a 5 count between gears.

Adjusting the clutch, swapping to different fluids, new synchros, always the same result.

Never had a single issue with the AX-15.

Just my personal experience. I really dig your build and looking forward to seeing the 5.2 swap unfold.
Ax-15 can be converted to a ~5.15:1 1st year and a taller od also. They're the Lego trans of 5 spds.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #109 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Ax-15 can be converted to a ~5.15:1 1st year and a taller od also. They're the Lego trans of 5 spds.
Are parts still available? Last I checked it was extremely difficult to source parts.

RIP SCREWZER2
Old 03-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by the freeak View Post
Are parts still available? Last I checked it was extremely difficult to source parts.
That I couldn't tell you. The 1st gear is from a dyna truck only offered overseas AFAIK. Marlin Crawler would be the one I would contact on that. The 5th gear is from a Toyota supra, and shouldn't be too hard to find I would think.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #111 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186755
This showed up end of last week. Was supposed to be fully upgraded with JB conversions LoMax 4:1 and a 32 spline front output. Turns out it has a later TeraFlex 4:1 low range set and a stock front output. The seller has offered to refund some of my purchase price to make it right, said he never actually took it apart to check that is just how he bought it.

Probably just going to stick with the stock front output? Not really sure. I got on the list for a TJ Rubicon case from SgtJeep so if one pops up I may just jump on it and sell this.

Its got some other issues, but that just comes with buying used stuff. Need to replace some bent mount studs, one of the shift pads is missing, shifters need some love, etc.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Hard parts from Rock Auto seem to be fine.

Electronics? Fuck that. I've had nothing but issues with the ones I've bought from there.
rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #113 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186755
I buy everything on rock auto.

I try to get the more name brand parts, but for this build I'm planning on replacing the cooling system parts and probably do tune up stuff. Also need a flywheel and clutch kit.

Thankfully I've been working this last week through the shutdown, but not sure how long it'll last. I've kinda put a stop on jeep spending for the time being, for obvious reasons.

If I do get stuck at home I'll be working on those honey-do projects so when things start settling back to normal I can focus on engine swaps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in