Jeep yj AXLE SWAP - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 553522
Jeep yj AXLE SWAP

I have an 87 yj and i want to do an axle swap in the front and rear. I planned on doing the typical ford 8.8 axle swap so i get the strength, cheapness, simplicity, and width that i want for a daily driver. but then I want to do a front axle swap so i can have locking manual hubs, and the only ones for the front i could find were dana 44s and they were full width. I wouldnt mind having full width axles but id like to keep the axles about stock width maybe an inch or two wider but not too much. I plan on doing mostly daily driving with 35's (worn down to 34s) with 4:10 gears maybe 4:56. Upgrading because i like to rock crawl.

Last edited by trevordavis0521; 05-12-2016 at 06:47 AM.
trevordavis0521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 208624
There are some early D30's with selectable hubs, if I'm not mistaken. I have one sitting at my dad's shop...low pinion, passenger side drop I think. No idea what it came under factory as I acquired this one from a very ghetto built S-10 mud racer that was purchased for the built 4-bolt 350 in it.

I don't know if the width is the same as the 8.8...but you could narrow a D44 to use Early Bronco inner shafts (or run Early Bronco axles). Personally, that's what I would do on a dual purpose rig because it gains you the strength of a HP D44 over the D30/35 stuff of the same width, and gets you serviceable bearings/hubs and dialouts.

There are other options, I'm sure... But narrowed HP D44 gets my vote, assuming you have the time, money and skill to collaborate all the parts needed to match widths and lug patterns.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1040
Jeep wagoneer d44s are the right width for YJs. Front is a straight bolt in. Rear is just moving the spring perches. The front is like 62"s wide. Rear is a bit narrower.
WyoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 553522
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_Fummins View Post
There are some early D30's with selectable hubs, if I'm not mistaken. I have one sitting at my dad's shop...low pinion, passenger side drop I think. No idea what it came under factory as I acquired this one from a very ghetto built S-10 mud racer that was purchased for the built 4-bolt 350 in it.

I don't know if the width is the same as the 8.8...but you could narrow a D44 to use Early Bronco inner shafts (or run Early Bronco axles). Personally, that's what I would do on a dual purpose rig because it gains you the strength of a HP D44 over the D30/35 stuff of the same width, and gets you serviceable bearings/hubs and dialouts.

There are other options, I'm sure... But narrowed HP D44 gets my vote, assuming you have the time, money and skill to collaborate all the parts needed to match widths and lug patterns.
i thought about that but yj's have a drivers side drop
Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 553522
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordavis0521 View Post
i thought about that but yj's have a drivers side drop
does it have a passenger side drop or drivers side drop?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 665242
I'm doing a Dana 300 swap in my yj. If the waggy is a passenger drop would be sweet. But will the bolt patterns be the same on the wheels?
Ill_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 51625
Mid 80's Waggoners are driver drop just like the YJ
NORCALFJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill_eagle View Post
I'm doing a Dana 300 swap in my yj. If the waggy is a passenger drop would be sweet. But will the bolt patterns be the same on the wheels?
IIRC the waggy axles are a 6 lug. So no on the bolt pattern. And as said, drivers drop. Could flip the 300 pretty easy though.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 305185
Waggy Dana 44s are low pinion, and the U-joints are the same as the later Dana 30s. It's really not much of an upgrade, and could be a downgrade.

For 35s, I'd keep the Dana 30 and put in a set of chromoly shafts. Then the 8.8 rear will be perfect.

You would have to give up your locking hub desire.

Or go to a set of Chevy axles, with front Dana 44 with a passenger drop. And forget the 8.8 in the rear

Last edited by StanF; 05-13-2016 at 05:03 AM.
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Wagoneer front. Get some chromoly rear shafts from Dutchman motor sports that are 6 lug for 8.8(last time I got a set they were like $250). And weld the tubes to pumpkin on the rear they like to spin.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill_eagle View Post
So you're just piggybacking on someone else's thread?

Waggy 44s could be had in passenger drop or drivers drop, depending on the year.

Bolt patterns be the same as what? There isn't a Dana 44 out there that has a 5 on 4.5" that your YJ came with other than certain years of Dodge, and they are garbage. If you think you can keep the wheels you have with a Dana 44 you are mistaken.

How much information is out there on the web on Dana 44 swaps? (that's a rhetorical question, the answer is a LOT, go look for it)
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 804386
Im new here. Need a lil advice.

I'm new to posting but have followed this site for a while and seems like alot of folks on here care about their Jeeps. I currently own a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. Had it since it was new and love it. The engine just keep on going. But my problem is with my 1987 YJ. I got it from a friend for my son. Just before i got it, he put a lift and 32's on it, but it still has the original gears. So, naturally it creeps no faster than 50 or so down the freeway. I need a budget fix. My son's college and just the cost of living in California (cant wait to retire and get the hell out) is sucking my pockets dry. I have heard about D44 swaps from Rodeo's or Passports and the fronts from a Waggy. Right now it needs to get my son to school and work and when he's done and its mine again, the fun starts.
i know there will be some money involved, i just need a fix cheaper than having the YJ re-geared. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.
smashedtaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Cheap regear?

Find a 30/35 out of a 4cyl YJ, they'll have 4.11s
Old 10-31-2017, 03:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 305185
Personally, I wouldn't put any money at all into your rear Dana 35 - not even a regear.

The cheapest thing you could do would be to put 30" tires on it, so the engine is back in its power band. Might look funny with a 2" lift...

Also, what engine/transmission/gears do you currently have? 2.5L, I assume?
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 804386
The engine is the other problem. But I can deal with it for now. Its a 4 banger with low miles. It'll get an upgrade when I get out of Cali. Trying to do it now is like running your head into a wall with California emission laws. it also has a manual 5 speed. Thanks for the advice..Appeciated.
smashedtaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in