Tj 2.5 needs mo powa! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 611305
Tj 2.5 needs mo powa!

I just bought a 99 Tj with a 2.5/ax5 and while I plan to engine swap it and do one tons and all of the good stuff later, I want to enjoy it as is for a while. Outside of forced induction what are some good ways to make more power with this gutless thing?
baddkarmaracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 611305
Oh I guess I should add a few things, 1 I know it's never going to be fast by anymeans, 2 I have already done 4 hole injectors, 4.0 throttle body, and plan to do an electric fan. Also it got plugs, wires, o2 sensor, new computer, map sensor, crank sensor, can sensor distributor cap, rotor,coil and new fuel pump while chasing an issue with drivability that ended up being the fuel pump, damn thing would show great pressure and then lose it once it got hot and always acted like an electrical issue. All of that was before I actually bought it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2016, 03:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 49185
Send a message via AIM to dzntzhellfire Send a message via Yahoo to dzntzhellfire
Regear and save for motor swap.
dzntzhellfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 611305
Not wasting my money on regearing the d35, I have 1 tons to put under it but don't want to do that yet because I'm having fun with it as is. as for the motor swap it will come one of these days but I plan on running the 4cyl for a while, eventually it will get a small block Chevy or LS motor
Old 07-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Its 150 cubic inches. Leave it alone.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Its 150 cubic inches. Leave it alone.
X2.

Whatever mod money you want to do to the 2.5, put in a cookie jar. That way when you are ready to drop money on an engine swap (even a 4.0/AX15), you'll have some extra cash.

I ran a stock 2.5 for years, this comes from experience....
Old 07-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 601322
There's no easy way to get significant power increases out of a 2.5. Money is best spent on either boost or a motor swap.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 611305
not expecting significant power out of it, but any way going to change the fan to an electric fan and will have less than $150 in trying to make It run better and that includes a throttle body, electric fan and new thermostat since the old one was stuck open.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 30427
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddkarmaracing View Post
not expecting significant power out of it, but any way going to change the fan to an electric fan and will have less than $150 in trying to make It run better and that includes a throttle body, electric fan and new thermostat since the old one was stuck open.
I did an electric fan on mine, not a huge change at all. It's just going to be slow and you're never going to get any bigger power out of it. I have some of the same mods also, 4.0 tb, high flow cat, etc.

Gears made the biggest difference, but I got rid of the dana 35. I would just keep saving up for the v8 swap. Or, you said you're having fun right now, I'd just keep going down that road and enjoying it!

The lack of power I think has saved me from breaking quite a bit when I've compared it to my buddy's jeeps with 4.0s. just my two cents.

[QUOTE=BellyDoc;12628007]
Q: What's stronger than 300M?
A: Stupidity.[/QUOTE]
getstucksome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 684377
You'd be wasting your time. I had a 95 2.5 YJ and it was an absolute dog. I added a Turbo City throttle body, K&N intake and cat back exhaust and if anything it lost torque and felt even slower
Welby 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 611305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welby 2.0 View Post
You'd be wasting your time. I had a 95 2.5 YJ and it was an absolute dog. I added a Turbo City throttle body, K&N intake and cat back exhaust and if anything it lost torque and felt even slower
lol mine already had a half ass cat back on it with no cat when I bought it, I bought injectors because they were cheap and friend told me they made a difference in his, they were better but that probably because they old ones weren't in the best of shape, they throttle body was free off a blown up 4.0 I have at work, and I changed the muffler because it was cracked. I also changed the thermostat for the 2nd time because it was stuck open. between all of that it has made a difference in it and its actually not as bad on the road, I am thinking about putting a cat back on it, I figure this little motor probably needs some back pressure.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 601322
No 4 stroke engine needs back pressure. EVER. Back pressure ALWAYS costs power. If the piping is way too big and flow velocity gets too slow, you can lose some power (on an NA engine at least). But adding backpressure never helps. The challenge is that you can never get 0 backpressure with good flow velocity.

Ideally, you want piping sized for good flow velocity and not too much backpressure and then the more free flowing cats and mufflers you can run (as those only add backpressure without helping flow velocity).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 611305
since I have the 2.5 experts in here how much gear does the 2.5 need to turn 37's decently? 5.13? 5.38? I know I need different axles but lets not get on that topic yet
Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
since I have the 2.5 experts in here how much gear does the 2.5 need to turn 37's decently? 5.13? 5.38? I know I need different axles but lets not get on that topic yet
7.17s and a 10:1 Atlas
Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 45290
Send a message via AIM to BoneCrusher
Your wasting your money.

Sell the 4cyl and pick up a 6cyl.

other then that save your pennies for the engine swap.

work on your axles and work on gathering parts for the swap. Don't waste money on anything engine related.

1 inch body lift and a small suspension lift should do you good when the time comes for an engine swap.

or just go have a blast in a stock jeep and see what trouble you can get into.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 54567
Quote:
I had 5.38's with 36's and mine was an absolute turd. 5th gear was unusable and 4th struggled on the freeway. In the process of a 5.3 swap.
Outlawz4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 54666
Beating a dead horse. I've got a 2.5l TJ, autotragic, with A/C even.

I've got an electric fan, 4.0l throttle body, and a Safari Snorkel. There's no measurable performance to be had with any of those. I had a K&N air filter but it was a waste of money too, just have Wix paper filters now.

ONLY mod that made any difference was the throttle body, and that was only slightly in throttle response, it's no more powerful or faster than it was before.

Last edited by bigdaddylee82; 07-12-2016 at 03:10 PM.
bigdaddylee82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 611305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
Your wasting your money.

Sell the 4cyl and pick up a 6cyl.

other then that save your pennies for the engine swap.

work on your axles and work on gathering parts for the swap. Don't waste money on anything engine related.

1 inch body lift and a small suspension lift should do you good when the time comes for an engine swap.

or just go have a blast in a stock jeep and see what trouble you can get into.
I may be wasting money but its been about $100-$150 so far,(except the lunchbox lockers but that's not about power so not counting it) not a big deal at all, I have wasted more than that on a night at the bar.(try not to do that much though)
jeep has a small procomp lift on it and im having fun with it, I am going to just put this electric fan in it and be done trying to make more power, I thought maybe there was a way to make some extra power with it that I hadn't thought of but I have been convinced there isn't lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz4X4 View Post
I had 5.38's with 36's and mine was an absolute turd. 5th gear was unusable and 4th struggled on the freeway. In the process of a 5.3 swap.
so I guess 5.38's it is since that's the lowest I can go in my sterling rear unless some one can point me in a direction to something lower than that. it will eventually get an engine swap but I like to be different so I want to stick with the 4cyl for a while.

Last edited by baddkarmaracing; 07-12-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 611305
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddylee82 View Post
Beating a dead horse. I've got a 2.5l TJ, autotragic, with A/C even.

I've got an electric fan, 4.0l throttle body, and a Safari Snorkel. There's no measurable performance to be had with any of those. I had a K&N air filter but it was a waste of money too, just have Wix paper filters now.

ONLY mod that made any difference was the throttle body, and that was only slightly in throttle response, it's no more powerful or faster than it was before.
on mine I did the injectors first, then the throttle body and replaced the bad thermostat a couple days later, the injectors made a huge difference in the top end power, but I honestly think that was just the difference in 17 year old injectors and new ones. the throttle body also seemed to help with the throttle response like you said but I would say it was a pretty noticeable difference.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 119923
I did all the above mentioned AND did the inertia ring. The only thing that helped was selling it and getting one with a 4.0L
Mousejockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 229017
Replace it with a TDI 1.9L same weight and over twice the torque on half the fuel 300 ft/lbs Max torque @ 2,200RPM makes for great trail manners...$.02

Last edited by eggman918; 07-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.
eggman918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
El Conquistador

Member # 208306

I have the same rig, I gutted the cat on mine now it runs rich, if I can find a little old turbo off of something i'm going to shove it on there to help it up the hills .

It has the 5 speed, 4.10s and 35" tires .

Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 229017
A turbo sized to give you 6-7 psi from idle and gated to not exceed 10 would make a world of difference without harming reliability
Old 07-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 562730
There is not much power to have from those engines without boost but to get "real" power with boost there is alot of engine work and its not worth it. But there are basic bolt on parts that help, header (but often require exhaust modification), intake etc. Its just like any other engine. Dont waste to much money if your ganna swap it anyway just beat the piss out of it! Also i wouldnt swap a 4.0, yes its a great motor but if thats what you want just sell the 4banner tj and buy a TJ with the 4.0.

-TJ2021

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in