TJ buggy frame to buy? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 62903
Send a message via AIM to prostock3
TJ buggy frame to buy?

Does anyone sell a TJ/LJ frame where you just put your TJ/LJ tub on a tube chassis? But the chassis is setup for v8, long travel shocks, and 4 link?

Just a thought.... I think I saw Wideopen Design had one but not for a LJ

Last edited by prostock3; 07-28-2016 at 12:37 PM.
prostock3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 543593
Maybe check the wideopen design thread in the hardcore section?? It wouldn't take much for them to adjust some things to fit lj length
adamc55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc55 View Post
Maybe check the wideopen design thread in the hardcore section?? It wouldn't take much for them to adjust some things to fit lj length
This. Call them.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
We're working on one, hope to have something out by the end of the year.
Will have sort of a rectangle tube frame so it would be 4500 legal and an easy base to build off of. It would incorporate the Ibex subframe and suspension geometry and share some other off the shelf parts. Plan to have it variable length so you can use TJ tub, LJ tub or even stretch your TJ to an LJ tub. Trying to use as much as the interior of the tub like the floor and firewall as we can. Set up for LS based V-8 or even keep your 4.0L, Also options like trailing arms.

Here's a very rough start. The 'frame' goes around the tub and provide rocker protection, you would trim off the bottom of the tub under the rocker tube.
Attached Images

GOAT1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
Will have sort of a rectangle tube frame so it would be 4500 legal and an easy base to build off of. It would incorporate the Ibex subframe and suspension geometry and share some other off the shelf parts. Plan to have it variable length so you can use TJ tub, LJ tub or even stretch your TJ to an LJ tub. Trying to use as much as the interior of the tub like the floor and firewall as we can. Set up for LS based V-8 or even keep your 4.0L, Also options like trailing arms.

Here's a very rough start. The 'frame' goes around the tub and provide rocker protection, you would trim off the bottom of the tub under the rocker tube.
Awesome!

& Blaine

Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 78329
Eagerly awaiting the arrival.
Price point?
Old 07-30-2016, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 694089
Quote:

Full hydro steering? Or possible to work with steering box and hydro assist?
Jeep7756 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep7756 View Post
Full hydro steering? Or possible to work with steering box and hydro assist?
Both, I just created an optional 3 link for the front of my subframe, then you would run a track bar. I'll have all the steering linkage and track bar figured out.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 694089
Quote:
Both, I just created an optional 3 link for the front of my subframe, then you would run a track bar. I'll have all the steering linkage and track bar figured out.
Awesome! I've been looking into getting a dedicated 4wd project vehicle. Must have watched the Ibex build on 4xtreme five times. I've also been keeping an eye on the comanche build using the Goatbuilt subframe. But a Jeep frame? utilizing the Goatbuilt subframe is a near perfect fit for my criteria. There is something to be said for having a title and plates on a vehicle.
Jeep7756 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 50971
Quote:
Nice , hurry up and figure it all out I'm ready to tear my tj apart for a custom frame this winter , this would be great.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:

Looks very good Drew.

Is this still 4500 legal even though it's box tube? I thought 4500 rules required stock frame from the motor mounts back to behind the occupant's seats (IIRC)? Is the factory frame utilized and I'm just not seeing it in those views?

I'm super stoked to see it come to life and watch GoatBuilt grow

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Looks very good Drew.

Is this still 4500 legal even though it's box tube? I thought 4500 rules required stock frame from the motor mounts back to behind the occupant's seats (IIRC)? Is the factory frame utilized and I'm just not seeing it in those views?

I'm super stoked to see it come to life and watch GoatBuilt grow
Box tube of a certain dimension counts as factory frame. At least it did when saavy/Currie built one of their last cars.

& Blaine

Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 189845
Quote:

Seems like a perfect platform for those wanting to build their own buggy but want a tried and true suspension geometry setup. Curious about the price point too.
The_Magicians_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 03:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 53906
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Magicians_Eye View Post
Seems like a perfect platform for those wanting to build their own buggy but want a tried and true suspension geometry setup. Curious about the price point too.
I would be interested too - tired of working around the jeep frame
Old 08-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
We do not have pricing set at this point we are working finishing the design of the kit at this time. We will be starting a thread soon! Stay tuned.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 78329
What are plans for stretch panels and inner fenders to go to LJ tub length?
Old 08-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 View Post
What are plans for stretch panels and inner fenders to go to LJ tub length?
Planning on offering them with the chassis kit, I dont have much detail yet though.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 153714
I am very interested in this. Would really like TJ to LJ conversion style.

Last edited by Tyler99TJ; 08-19-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 353722
Defiantly interested in the TJ frame, PUT me in line for one as soon as available. Are there any updates on this?
NWKJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
Just an update on the TJ/LJ chassis kit. Haven't worked on it much until the last month or so, moved our shop and just getting caught up with everything and having the time.

Here is my latest progress, CAD stuff is real ruff, just figuring out where to put stuff at this point. Planning on trailing arms with a 10 or 12" coil over with optional bypass. 36" wide rear bench, I think we can fit 2 bench seats in the LJ for a 3rd row seat. I have been able to make a JK steering box fit, would likely use the new PSC JK box with with ram assist. Planning to have this available to pre-order by September, dont really know pricing yet, I'm sure the chassis will the in the $3500 range, then add the subframe, skid plates, interior panels and corners and every thing else.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 162087
Awesome!
jeepin4x4james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 29848
Looks great
roger201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 448146
I'm ready for this. Following the first build from whoever...
bensshop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 89611
In for updates on this TJ chassis kit. Cutting my buddy's TJ in half this winter for an LJ stretch and cage build. Perhaps this could be an alternative. I can assist with R&D. I have a mechanical engineering degree 12+ yrs experience and Solidworks 2017.

CJ68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5969
Slow and steady, still trying to get the steering figured out. Looking like I'll have to go with a Jeep Saginaw type box, the JK box just would fit a big enough radiator.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in