CJ7 build 350 Swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 689906
CJ7 build 350 Swap

I just got a 78 CJ7, supposedly, the drivetrain is good - all but the engine.
I have a fresh 350 on an engine stand in the garage.
I know they have conversion adapters for the trans to bolt on a GM bell housing, but I don't want to run a cast aluminum bell housing. I bought a used steel explosion proof bell housing last night in hopes of converting it to accept the Jeep trans.
Anyone done this? I'm going to mess with mating up the set this fall, but just wondering if anyone has any tips before I start making a mess. Thanks.
Dirtmod08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 689906
Well, apparently nobody that saw this has modified a steel SBC bell housing to fit to the T-150. Thanks for not screaming at me to do a search, lol - because I have been. When I do it, I'll do it the hard way - but I'll share the info if I succeed. Might save some guys a few bucks and not have to run a cast bell housing.
If I fail, I'll be sure to let you know not to be stupid like I was, lol.

Last edited by Dirtmod08; 08-11-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102011
possible...however you are going to need an adapter plate from the bellhousing to the trans and with that width of the adapter it messes up your trans input to engine distance of input/output shaft.
buzz54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Is the Jeep input shaft basically the same length as on a Chevy trans? If the same or close, can you rejigger the trans mounting face of the steel bellhousing to accommodate the Jeep trans directly?

EDIT: Nice Jeep - needs low-back buckets.

Last edited by plym49; 08-11-2016 at 09:39 PM.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
What transmission does it have? To say "Jeep transmission" could mean any number of different length input shafts.

Last edited by CSP; 08-11-2016 at 09:59 PM.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 689906
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Is the Jeep input shaft basically the same length as on a Chevy trans? If the same or close, can you rejigger the trans mounting face of the steel bellhousing to accommodate the Jeep trans directly?

EDIT: Nice Jeep - needs low-back buckets.
I am hoping that I can weld new bungs in the steel bell housing to accept the T150 trans and run a Jeep clutch disk on a 350 flywheel/pressure plate. As long as the bell housing depths are the same, and I can get the right bushing in the crank, I hope I can pull it off. In short, that's what I hope to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
What transmission does it have? To say "Jeep transmission" could mean any number of different length input shafts.
T150 Jeep trans. I don't have the engine pulled yet to compare anything. Just checking to see if anyone has done the swap this way. I would be more comfortable having a stamped steel bellhousing anyway.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 689906
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz54 View Post
possible...however you are going to need an adapter plate from the bellhousing to the trans and with that width of the adapter it messes up your trans input to engine distance of input/output shaft.
I hope to modify the steel bellhousing to accept the T150 trans directly with no adapter plate. the bellhousing itself would become the only adapter - I hope.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Why keep the T150? It's a relatively strong transmission, but that's about all it has going for it. It would be so much easier to go to an SM465 and adapt the tcase to it that dicking around with the unknown regarding the stamped bell.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 210734
Quote:
Why keep the T150? It's a relatively strong transmission, but that's about all it has going for it. It would be so much easier to go to an SM465 and adapt the tcase to it that dicking around with the unknown regarding the stamped bell.
Agree completely. I installed a 350 in my CJ5 close to 20 years ago and mated it up to a old Chevy patterned NP435 using factory parts. Had to crack into the trans to install the adapter plate/mainshaft for the trans to t-case adapter but certainly preferred over spending the money to keep the stock 3-speed. It's a no-brainer... SM465 is bullet-proof - you will never have to worry about it once installed and you have the benefit of the creeper low 1st gear.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 689906
Well, this is why I put this out there - because I have no idea what I'm talking about, lol. I appreciate the input, and I'll consider searching around for a SM465 on the side.
Honestly, I'm trying to be cheap and keep this project under control - so it gets done - but you never know, I might happen to run across something now that I know what I'm looking for.
I actually had a 2wd manual transmission from a 1978 3/4 ton truck - now that I think of it, it had a granny low and it was a Muncie. The thing was a freaking pig and had to have weighed 200 lbs. Please don't tell me that I could have used this with my transfer case. It sat in the shed so long - I loaded it up and scrapped it.

Last edited by Dirtmod08; 08-15-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 205248
Run an SM465 with hydraulic bellhousing or similar trans (NP435, NV4500, SM420). The SM465 trans is only 12" long but gives you a great crawl ratio off that bat with the granny 1st. Theres adapters everywhere. PM me if you need more help.
WhyJayPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 14004
Not sure of your location, but last time I went tranny hunting (OK, OK, it was almost 15 years ago) I found at least 6 NP435's before I found the T-18a I was looking for. It cost me a whopping $75...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- TBI 304/T18a/D300/60/70/5.86/43's
87 Samurai - GSX carbs/16V 1.6/GRS-II/linked rear/31's
Kreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 210734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmod08 View Post
I actually had a 2wd manual transmission from a 1978 3/4 ton truck - now that I think of it, it had a granny low and it was a Muncie. The thing was a freaking pig and had to have weighed 200 lbs. Please don't tell me that I could have used this with my transfer case. It sat in the shed so long - I loaded it up and scrapped it.
Yup, that freaking pig was the Muncie SM465 - arguably one of the strongest 4 speed truck transmissions of it's class. Adapters from Novak or advance adapters work with either the 2 or 4 wheel drive trannies for any of the transfer cases you'd want to run and will include the adapter plate to bolt up the transfer case and a shorter transmission mainshaft to replace the stock one.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 210734
DirtMod, where you located?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 689906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTRUCKNUT View Post
Yup, that freaking pig was the Muncie SM465 - arguably one of the strongest 4 speed truck transmissions of it's class. Adapters from Novak or advance adapters work with either the 2 or 4 wheel drive trannies for any of the transfer cases you'd want to run and will include the adapter plate to bolt up the transfer case and a shorter transmission mainshaft to replace the stock one.
Figures, I had it in my fingers and threw it away - geesh. The one time I decide not to hang onto everything and go on a cleaning binge, it bites me in the ass, lol.
I'm in the Peoria, Il. area. (I just filled out my location, I didn't notice it wasn't posted).

Last edited by Dirtmod08; 08-15-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 689906
I actually still have the aluminum bell housing from this truck hanging in my shed. I've always been building Hod Rods and muscle cars, so I never realized that I would ever find a use for that heavy trans. Now every time I see that bell housing, a tear will come to my eye - idiot!, lol.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 210734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmod08 View Post
I actually still have the aluminum bell housing from this truck hanging in my shed. I've always been building Hod Rods and muscle cars, so I never realized that I would ever find a use for that heavy trans. Now every time I see that bell housing, a tear will come to my eye - idiot!, lol.
If I were you I'd try to find another 465 from a later 80s truck with the hydraulic clutch and get the entire assembly - flywheel, bellhousing, slave cylinder and trans. Then use the ealy 80s CJ hydraulic clutch master cylinder found on the 4 cylinder motors. I've got a similar setup in my CJ5. It's been trouble free since install in the late 90s, works nicely and uses mostly stock parts except for the clutch hydraulic hose. SM465 also has a bigger input bearing diameter than most other chevy transmissions so be aware when ordering/looking for an aftermarket steel bellhousing.

Last edited by BIGTRUCKNUT; 08-15-2016 at 05:58 PM.
BIGTRUCKNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 689906
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep digging - at least I know what I'm looking for now.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 689906
I started working on this Jeep. I'm staying "on the cheap", then upgrading later. I just want all this stuff put together in one spot this time around.
Got the body cut loose, everything is in pretty bad shape. I suspect I'll be fabricating a pair of frame rails this winter.

Got the steel GM bell housing mated to the Jeep trans:

I'm just screwing around with what I have to get everything mocked up for now. I'm into it for $40 for the used bell housing, and I might have to buy 2 different clutches to get this to work out. But at least I can get the engine saddled in there to make the motor mounts until I decide what to do next.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 689906
Oh, and if I get bored, I still have TONS of cleaning to pick around at this winter too, lol.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 210734
On the bright side, you can easily replace the T150 with a T18 from a CJ someday. Same bellhousing bolt pattern, trans input length, and pilot diameter and has the t-case adapter for the Dana 20 installed.
BIGTRUCKNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 06:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 689906
Quote:
On the bright side, you can easily replace the T150 with a T18 from a CJ someday. Same bellhousing bolt pattern, trans input length, and pilot diameter and has the t-case adapter for the Dana 20 installed.
Good point, I plan to keep this thing rolling on other people's leftovers, lol.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
No, the CJ T18 does not share the same bellhousing bolt pattern. Only the upper two bolts are the same.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 689906
Quote:
No, the CJ T18 does not share the same bellhousing bolt pattern. Only the upper two bolts are the same.
Good thing is, it won't take much effort for me to make numerous bolt patterns in this steel bell housing.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 210734
Quote:
You must have an earlier T18 that shares the same bolt pattern with the T14 and T15 transmissions - before the switch to the Ford bolt pattern that is shared with the T150 and T176. Should be easy enough to drill new lower holes for that T18 and then weld nuts onto the inside surface of the bellhousing to bolt into.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in