NV3550 Manual Transmission into ZJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 707522
NV3550 Manual Transmission into ZJ

Honestly I don't even know if this is going to work. I have a 2004 TJ sitting on jack stands, with a 4.0 and an NV3550. It's going to be my one ton buggy build at some point, and I plan on doing some kind of V8 swap. But that's a thread for another time.

On the other side I have a 4.0/42re ZJ that has 200k miles on the motor and a junkyard trans that sort of works. I have a plan to either swap the entire motor/transmission into the ZJ, or just swap the manual trans into the ZJ and keep the stock motor.

I've seen plenty of AX15 swaps, but never a nv3550, so I'm not sure if it will work, or not. I just know that I need to do something with the transmission. I have a buddy that just finished an ax15 swap and loves it. So that's what has me curious.

Thoughts/comments/ideas welcome. If it ends up working out this will turn into a build thread for the ZJ.
AtlasOffroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 191442
I'm pretty sure the NV3550 will fit into the same space as the late AX-15, they share the same bell housing with the external slave. Pedals and master-slave setup need to come from a '93 or '94 ZJ with the AX-15. (Pretty rare)

You need to match the crank sensor for a manual trans from the same year as the ZJ so the connector and operating voltage will be the same.

The auto trans controller will throw transmission codes if you switch to a manual. I think there are some differences in the cruise controls setup between the TJ and the ZJ but the TJ computer might work if it is the same year. Anti theft system problems may occur if the ZJ has it.

Not exactly sure which input you will need for the t-case, I think it's a different length 23 spline than the 42RE.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Marty, SoCal; 10-12-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 707522
Do you think it's a better idea to just do the whole engine/trans/transfer case swap from the wrangler into the ZJ? the tj motor has significantly less miles

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
AtlasOffroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 191442
I'm pretty sure that the 2004 TJ block will not have the proper accessories mounting points on the engine block compared to the ZJ. The A/C compressor mounts low on the left side vs high on the right side. The alternator and power steering pump mount in a different spot, too. Also, there may be some differences in the motor mount bolt locations.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in