Plans on jeep build (need suggestions) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 711329
Plans on jeep build (need suggestions)

I'm new to the forums, been a reader for about 2 years but now I have some questions.
I own a manual 1990 wrangler that I built WRONG
4" suspension 3" body 37" tires and stock gears..
I am about to be renting a shop and will be able to redo it. I'm going to patch the frame up and stretch the rear with xj springs.
I have a set of 1996 dodge 2500 axles with 4.10 gears I want to swap in so but I also want to build my jeep to be a lcog build on about a 37" tire. so I guess I will either sua or just attempt a 4 link?
I have also found a 6bt 24v i was in search of a 4cyl diesel to have the low end torque but it's cheap down fall is, it's a #53 block. Should I purchase it or keep looking? I also have a Chevy 350 ready for overhaul.
I am also in search of a 205 t-case but I have no idea what I would like to do for a tranny.
For the lcog I will be cutting the body as much as possible.
Please give input. I know most people stay away from dodge front d60s but I want to build it right.
Maybe answer in this format

Engine:
Axles:
T-case:
Tranny:
Suspension:
Additional:

If this is wrong place to post this please move it or inform me before it is deleted so I can repost it in different section.
Attached Images

LIRustbuckets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 177261
Good Luck. its going to be rough.

I have an 88 YJ that i basically had the same problem you did. Here are some tips from my recent experience.

Engine: 350 is a good engine. make sure you get everything with it like wires, cables, this and that. Make sure you use a tranny (if auto) that works with it.
I went to an 80's TPI on my 350, but with a 4l60E tranny. Does not work with the computer, so i have to buy a standalone tranny controller.

Axles: If you do the engine swap, youll need axles that will handle the torque. Dana 44's Dana 60's, 14 bolts are all good. make sure you get them in a gear ratio that will work best for your setup/mileage/tire sizes. there are charts online that will help you decide this. also make sure whatever axles you get, the Tcase drop is on the correct side.

T-case: 205's are good. Solid. I have a dana 300.
Tranny: If manual, I would go with an SM465. bullet proof. But i went auto and did a 4l60E. like i said, Im still dealing with making the electrics work with the 80's fuel injection.
Suspension: I did the XJ leaf stretch front and rear. IT looks good, however remember tire wells and fenders. some states require tire coverage. Its hard finding cheap fenders that can cover that stretch AND cover the tires. you might have to fab something. Front axle though, it looks good. If you do that, get a steering gear out of an Astro Van. Do a search on here for the specific year. its got a strong pitman arm and bolts right in. (i did it).
it is really your preference. in my area, finding a good mechanic to do ALL of my weld jobs was rough.
Additional: If you have any questions, let me know. Ill help out best i can and i can even send pictures of what i did. Best of luck to you.
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 83301
man what is people affinity for putting 4bt and 6bt engines in an offroad rig? go 350 on pane, or 5.3 or 6.0 gm. shot 5.0 ford, but why a big HEAVY engine....

Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Gear the axles, do a spring under, and wheel. Upgrade to a geared transfer case and wheel some more, realize you want more motor and go from there.... 350 makes more sence then about any diesel in that rig imo
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
A 6bt is a crazy heavy engine for a yj.

It doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience. Do as 2BB says and wheel what you have and upgrade. I like soa, others don't. If you go 6bt you will need one ton axles. D60, sterling or 14bolt. Forget d44's exist.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in