Couple last questions before I dig in - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 358505
Couple last questions before I dig in

Installing a trans cooler onto a '96 XJ 4.0 w/ AW-4 transmission, and in trying to identify which trans line is which I started the engine from cold, pulled it up against a wall and let it rest there in drive, and felt which line got hot first. Although both got warm together it seems like the top line, or the one entering toward the front of the transmission, got hotter. So I would assume that one is the return, and the other ending further back on the transmission is the out. Does that sound right?

Second, most accounts of installing this cooler advise placing it directly in front of the full time fan. Sounds logical. But just now I read an account of that installation position causing someone's engine temp to begin to rise too high, I would assume because of the restricted airflow. Is anyone else seeing this engine temp problem after doing the same install? Should I consider installing it further over toward the center?

And last I'll be doing a simple splice into the soft part of the return line w/ a brass barb. Any advice on routing the lines from there to the cooler?
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 117969
Been covered and a few write ups on Google.

I'm doing the same in a TJ with an AW4 swap and going off memory. The front line is the line out and the furthest one back on the trans is the return. On a XJ I believe the bottom line in the radiator is front the trans and the line coming out the top of the radiator is the return.

When plumbing your cooler feed it from the bottom and have the return coming from the top. Keeps air pockets from forming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in