Jeep CJ tailgate to TJ wrangler? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 638897
Jeep CJ tailgate to TJ wrangler?

could someone tell me if the measurements for the CJ tailgate are the same as an 03 Jeep TJ? I'm thinking about switching over to one.

If I decide that's the route I'm going to take, anyone wanna buy a Poison spyder Trailgate with textured black powder coat?
TazTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 88108
The dimensions are the same. There are many examples and how-to's on the 'net, easy to find by searching
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 114388
If you do not feel like collecting all the parts, there are even companies that make kits for this also.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 91654
Jeep CJ tailgate to TJ wrangler?

Having done this, my recommendations are as follows:

The Swag Offroad kit is nice for the install. It has almost everything you need. The only thing it didn't have was the brackets for the cables at the tailgate end.

The only place I've seen aftermarket brackets for the cables is Dinoot, and they're stainless, so they add quite a bit of cost if your tailgate doesn't have them.

Buy an original tailgate, even if it means a bit more work to clean up and get ready for paint. The aftermarket ones are junk. Mine bent the first time I sat on it, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Latching with a hardtop can be tricky. There are lots of good options if you search. I used mini push-button hood pins. They don't lock, but are pretty clean.

I used the Poison Spyder hinge delete plates for their corner armor until I get armor to cover up the hinge indents and bolts.

The CJ weather stripping doesn't work without some modification. It's too thick, but works with some careful trimming. I don't know if transferring the TJ weather stripping would work, but just know there's some time and effort there.

I think that's it. I love the setup, and am keeping an eye out for a local OE tailgate to come up for sale to swap out mine. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I don't have enough posts, but here's a link to my finished product.

uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161129/6fd31e1bdb76b2816cc850d1fa767c48.jpg

Last edited by en480c4; 11-28-2016 at 06:20 PM.
en480c4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in