CJ7 5.3L/4L60E project - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 205109
CJ7 5.3L/4L60E project

Decided to post my project, it is a 1986 CJ7 that had a 258 inline 6 with an automatic in it.
This is how it looked when I started.

I have done quite a bit since then, I built the transmission, engine, and removed the tub in preparation for a fiberglass tub. I will post pictures later of those sub projects, but here is how it looks now.

I am working on putting 4:1 LoMax gears in the transfer case right now.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 205109
I rebuilt the transmission first, it is a 4L60E, it had 200,000 miles on it. I ended up only using the case and center support out of the original transmission, I had to replace everything else. Was a big learning curve doing it all myself, was the first automatic I have ever done. Was a little surprised how many parts are in one of these things.

Cases getting ready for painting.

here's how it looks after the rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 205109
The whole reason i tore the 4L60E down in the first place, was i had to install the Novak Dana 300 adapter kit. I am glad i did though, during disassembly, some of the bushings were so worn they just fell out of their bores.
I put all the goodies in it, mostly from Sonnax, including the Smart Tech input drum. I want to stress to anyone doing this themselves, be very careful pressing the input shaft into the drum. I did not support it correctly, and broke the drum, it was a very costly mistake and I ended up buying a second drum. I did convert the tranmission to the 5-pin planetaries so it should be strong enough to stand up to some fun out on the trail. Didn't want it to be the weak link in the drivetrain.
Deino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 199790
The paint on that transmission looks great!
Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 205109
Below is the engine and transmission I started with. It was an L59 out of a 2002 suburban. The only part of the engine I ended up keeping was the crankshaft and alternator bracket, everything else was replaced, including the block. It had 200,000 miles on it.

I got a brand new 5.3L block from Summit for $300 bucks. It wasn't quite the bargain I had hoped for, it had a lot of surface rust in it, but still way cheaper than a lot of new blocks around. Had it checked and honed to get the rust out, then started the build.

Went with Clevite H series bearings and ARB main studs. Had the crank ground .010 under and put it in.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 205109
The engine rebuild was done with flat top Sealed Power pistons, and BTR Stage II truck cam. It has 799 heads with comp cams dual springs and magnum roller rockers. I also installed a TBSS manifold on it, with a Warr Performance 92mm DBC throttle body. A set of red ProForm LSX valve covers were repainted black, and the truck D585 coils were adapted to the valve cover brackets. SLP Dual roller timing chain and pump, Moroso baffled oil pan that was powercoated copper, and the LS6 valley cover modification was also done.

This is how it is now with the transmission mounted on it. I need to finish my frame prep before I put it in.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 205109
For this project, I have been working on building the harness myself to save money, however, I quickly found out that I really didn't save anything because the wire (mostly the wire) and connectors ended up costing me almost as much as just buying a harness. That being said, the experience of making it myself is valuable as I can make the wires whatever length I want, and route them to where they look the best. I decided to run the entire harness in 18ga wire just to stick with one size for all of it. It was necessary to buy a special crimper for these, but it wasn't too expensive.

I started with the injectors. Since I have a TBSS manifold, the injectors have the EV6 connector. The Delphi part numbers are:
EV6 Connector, part number 15497399
Connector lock part number 13821935
terminal lock part number 15423278
18ga female terminal part number 12191819
white 18ga cable seal part number 15366021
There are different part numbers for different color locks and different color connectors, but these are the ones I am using.
I got the pieces from Mouser Electronics, and the wire from EFI Connection.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 205109
After i got my frame back from sandblasting, i finally realized it was bent on the passenger side. I called around about getting it straightened, and holy cow is that expensive. I decided to do it myself. I got a 6ft long 6x6 beam, a tow strap, and two bottle jacks and pulled it back out straight.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 205109
After straightening the frame, i got it painted, used Eastwood Rust Encapsulator first, then topcoated it with their Extreme Chassis Black satin paint. I also got the engine put in the frame so i can start getting the crossmember for the transmission welded up.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 215070
Subd I'm looking at doing the same drivetrain in the near future. Great looking work so far!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
willp07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 222029
What are your front axle plans? Are you clocking the D300? You are going to have front driveshaft clearance issues with the tranny pan. I couldn't run a 2" front shaft when I had a 700R4 in mine years ago. I was forced to run the dinky stock front shaft. I currently have my atlas clocked flat and my drivetrain shifted over 2" to clear my 4L65E pan. Just a heads up of you haven't already accounted for this. Otherwise looks good!
Curbkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
nice work
I like that paint job on tranny and engine remind me my old bike I build while back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 205109
My front axle plans are eventually to put a dana 44 with the Jana kit and the JK ring gears, but for the time being, i am anxious to get it mobile (and needing more funds ), so will stick temporarily with the dana 30 that is in it now. I am aware of the driveshaft issues, and I will be clocking the dana 300 flat. I have a GenRight universal crossmember to install yet, then going to see how flat of a skid plate i can put under it. I already have a dana 44 in the rear, just want to put disc brakes on it. I am currently working on the transfer case, putting a JB Conversions 4:1 kit in it, along with front and rear HD output shafts.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 205109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredycruger View Post
nice work
I like that paint job on tranny and engine remind me my old bike I build while back

Like the bike, a few years ago, i saw a panhead tricked out all in copper and brass and loved it, kind of inspired my color theme for this project.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 205109
so how much detail would you all like to see on the build? i have tons of pics of the transmission build and the engine and most of the other aspects of what i am doing. I also have lots of part number information. which i can throw in too, just don't want to overload the thread.

Been sick this week with flu so not much progress, but i have a few things in the fire:
1. This jeep originally had a 15 gallon tank, converting it to a factory 20 gallon with a GenRight skid plate. Having issues with hold down strap, going to have to cut and weld the one i have to fit.
2. Buttoning up the Dana 300 transfer case, waiting for the AA twin stick kit to arrive, i originally wanted a cable shifter, but with the way i am setting up the driveline brake, a cable shifter will interfere with the trans mounted e-brake lever i have planned.
3. H1 Hummer steering gearbox to replace the old worn out one. From the research here on Pirate and other places, this seems to be a good replacement and a heck of a lot cheaper than the PSC box. I have the box, and the MORE HD mount, going to send them both out for powercoating this week. I am having a few issues notching the crossmember, the holesaw i tried didn't work and was a disaster, and i don't have a plasma cutter, and i wanted a nice arched notch that looked nice instead of a square one cut with a grinder. I have a couple ideas i might try, will see how it goes.
4. Plumbing the fuel system and brakes. I scrapped all the orginal rusty junk lines and will be redoing it all. Not going to use the prebent lines, as i have a hydroboost system to install.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 754361
Looking good so far!
Old 05-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 798121
Denio, Hows your project progressing? Iím kicking off a LS 5.7G/4L60E swap in Ď84 CJ7.

Longblock
Longblock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 07:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 40596
Any pics of the 4L60e bolted to the dana 300? I'm doing this same swap and I'm a little hazy on successfully clocking this thing..
ROCSTARR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in