can this setup be the cause of my death wobble? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 206326
can this setup be the cause of my death wobble?

Attached is a top looking down sketch of my setup.

red line is my tie rod connecting my high steer superduty dana 60 green lines are steering link and panhard link. the links are parallel when in front of the jeep.

its a jeep tj. i dont have a lot of room in from of the axle. the chassis side mount is slightly behind the axle, by about 2.5 inches.

could this be the cause of my death wobble?
i have used wheel bearings that where machined for 8x6.5 bolt pattern

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
drowned_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
No
Something is loose or your tires are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 206326
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
No
Something is loose or your tires are shit.
its got 16 oz of airsoft bb's in the tires. there 37'' military wranglers on h1 rims.

i checked the wheel units, they seem tight. whats the best way to guestimate castor with highsteer knuckles? top of the ball joint with an angle finder?

Old 08-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
On the highsteer arm works as well.

The worst part of h1s and dd is maintaining balance. Iit sucks. I hated having them on my truck. They work great, wobble monsters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by total newb; 08-29-2017 at 06:36 PM.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 146464
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned_yj View Post
its got 16 oz of airsoft bb's in the tires. there 37'' military wranglers on h1 rims.

i checked the wheel units, they seem tight. whats the best way to guestimate castor with highsteer knuckles? top of the ball joint with an angle finder?
To get close on the caster, I just took my phone with an angle finder, then measured the vertical on the front of the pinion. This was at 0 degrees which gave me a 4 degree caster due to the pinon angle.

I have a 08 JKU with a 2 1/2 inch lift and 35s. I had death wobble problem with everything tight, finally getting adjustable lca's and rolling the caster out to 6 degrees (+2 degrees on the pinon) fixed my issue. Been running this for about 20k miles with no issues.

Bryan
bsmurf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 206326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmurf12 View Post
To get close on the caster, I just took my phone with an angle finder, then measured the vertical on the front of the pinion. This was at 0 degrees which gave me a 4 degree caster due to the pinon angle.

I have a 08 JKU with a 2 1/2 inch lift and 35s. I had death wobble problem with everything tight, finally getting adjustable lca's and rolling the caster out to 6 degrees (+2 degrees on the pinon) fixed my issue. Been running this for about 20k miles with no issues.

Bryan
we are truly living in the future. that is an awesome idea.

thanks, both of you
Old 08-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 206326
i used my phone on the hi steer knuckles. there's 9.3 on one side and 13.4 on the other.

i do have a moog adjustable on one side and the other is the stock 0 degree from the junk yard. i also shortened the axle so i'm sure i've got a couple degrees clocked in the knuckle.

i dont think that 4 degrees difference would cause death wobble. so now i'm looking at the tires.

they're super heavy. h1 rims with a rock ring and pvc insert with the 37inch tire. I'll run and get more airsoft bb's but houston is a bit more like atlantis right now so it might be a couple days.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 135190
Air up the tires to 35 pounds and set the toe in to about 1/2" with a tape measure. If that doesn't fix it then you have bad tie rods or steering box.
Conquistador is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2017, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowned_yj View Post
i used my phone on the hi steer knuckles. there's 9.3 on one side and 13.4 on the other.

i do have a moog adjustable on one side and the other is the stock 0 degree from the junk yard. i also shortened the axle so i'm sure i've got a couple degrees clocked in the knuckle.

i dont think that 4 degrees difference would cause death wobble. so now i'm looking at the tires.

they're super heavy. h1 rims with a rock ring and pvc insert with the 37inch tire. I'll run and get more airsoft bb's but houston is a bit more like atlantis right now so it might be a couple days.
4* difference from side to side is a lot. I only run 4* of caster. I don't know if its contributing to your problem though. I hate death wobble, its a bitch to pin point the cause, sometimes.
ROCK HUGGER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 07:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 146464
There are some shops that will check the alignment for free. I dont know if this is an option for you, but NTB and I think Big-O tires does this for free. This would give a good starting reference point. 4 degrees from side to side seems high to me for what it is worth I dont know of any alignment shop that would set it up this away on purpose. The front pinon bolts are what ended up given me the most consistant numbers. I only measured there and then ran it over to NTB to verify. From left to right my numbers were 6 and 6.1.

Bryan

Last edited by bsmurf12; 08-31-2017 at 07:02 AM.
bsmurf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Home built track bar mount? Had an issue once where there bracket wobbled back and forth over 20, not enough triangulation added a brace now its rock solid to 70 have someone shake the steering wheel back and forth (truck off) and crawl under and look for play anywhere.

Can't comment on caster, never checked my D44 when I narrowed it. measured the distance from the steering tab on the knuckle to the floor on each, and "tuned" the cut side with a sledge hammer until it was close and burned it in.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 564186
Rotate rear tires to front. May or may not change anything but if it does at least you know its a balance thing.
WarH31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 206326
Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post
Home built track bar mount? Had an issue once where there bracket wobbled back and forth over 20, not enough triangulation added a brace now its rock solid to 70 have someone shake the steering wheel back and forth (truck off) and crawl under and look for play anywhere.

Can't comment on caster, never checked my D44 when I narrowed it. measured the distance from the steering tab on the knuckle to the floor on each, and "tuned" the cut side with a sledge hammer until it was close and burned it in.
its an artec mount but a DIY track bar with heims

it could be the steering box, its a junkyard out a gmc safari.

i had my wife jiggle the steering while i was under it, i have a lot of frame movement before the axle turns. almost enough to call it frame wrap? i dunno.

i've narrowed it down to:

tires not having enough medium (only 16oz per)
driverside balljoints ( i have them just need the time to throw them in)
my shade tree mechanic trac bar setup
the alignment issue
or the passenger side lower link being too far in reducing my triangulation.

i'll try the easy stuff first then fire up the cut off wheel and try it all again with more attention paid to the three link calculator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in