LJ/TJ After market clutch suggestions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 87293
LJ/TJ After market clutch suggestions

Went out for a quick trip yesterday up Holy Jim. Tow truck dropped me in the driveway 10 hours later...

Best I can tell, the clutch disintegrated . I pulled the inspection plate and starter and there are clutch pieces everywhere.

It was hot yesterday. I assume the trans got hot and destroyed the clutch.

What are you guys using for clutch replacement and trans coolers?

2005 LJ 6 speed
85andstillrunnin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Is there any chance that you coasted down a hill with the clutch engaged and then let the pedal out?
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 111046
I tried the Luk replacement clutch. Was not happy. The 6 speeds use a Sachs clutch from the factory. I went back to factory and it was worlds better. I also advise against turning the flywheel.
Xiled1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiled1 View Post
I tried the Luk replacement clutch. Was not happy. The 6 speeds use a Sachs clutch from the factory. I went back to factory and it was worlds better. I also advise against turning the flywheel.
I put a centerforce in my 98. The FSM specifically says not to turn flywheel.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
A manual should never get hot enough to destroy a clutch. A clutch only gets hot when it's slipping.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 87293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Is there any chance that you coasted down a hill with the clutch engaged and then let the pedal out?
I don't remember exactly when it happened. I doubt I did that since I was in 4 lo and first gear. I was going down hill. I suppose I could have done that. Why, what did I break?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7233
I come from a toyota background. With the introduction of dual cases, compound and much lower crawl ratios, people began to explode clutches. It's a speed differential problem, the engine is idling at 500 rpm and the trans input could be spinning at 10,000 rpm.

Making some assumptions and using the vehicle speed calculator on marlincrawler.com, a tj rubicon in 1st gear, low range and with 35" tires and stock axle gearing, would be spinning the trans input at 10,000 rpm at 14mph.

Last edited by Wilson; 10-27-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 87293
Quote:
I come from a toyota background. With the introduction of dual cases, compound and much lower crawl ratios, people began to explode clutches. It's a speed differential problem, the engine is idling at 500 rpm and the trans input could be spinning at 10,000 rpm.

Making some assumptions and using the vehicle speed calculator on marlincrawler.com, a tj rubicon in 1st gear, low range and with 35" tires and stock axle gearing, would be spinning the trans input at 10,000 rpm at 14mph.
The more I think about it, the more I believe you are correct. Again, I don't know why I would have done that given how I normally drive but, entirely possible. The strange part of the equation is the Jeep will start and run (fortunately because that's how I winched out) but, will not go into any gear. I assumed the heat caused the throw out bearing to stick??? Thanks for the input, I will tear into this weekend.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 87293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiled1 View Post
Good info. Thanks for the heads up
Old 11-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 87293
Quote:

Wilson was correct. The clutch exploded! Not a single piece attached to the rivets. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7233
I had a luk clutch installed about 300 miles before i tore my jeep down. I was never happy with it either and can't offer anything specific, just that it was not the same. I'll probably swap it out for a sachs before it goes back on the trail.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 87293
I got a Sachs off Amazon for $50 less than the brand O'reilly offers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in