1978 CJ5 stretch to CJ6 build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
1978 CJ5 stretch to CJ6 build

I've been working on this for about the last 6 months. It's progressing slowly. Made enough progress to start a build thread. Got tired of the short wheelbase and no room for people and stuff. Didn't really want to sell this and start all over, so decided to make it what I need it to be.

Specs of the build:

Starting out with a 1978 CJ5, stretching to 108" wb
SOA config front suspension, Waggy springs, 5 leaf, high steer
4 link rear, with TJ coils
Front axle 78' Chev HD D44 4.88 gears, Detroit Locker, alloy inners & stubs
Rear axle 78' 31 spline Ford 9" 4.86 gears, Detroit Locker
37" MTR's
LQ9 6.0 liter
4L80E trans
NP241C with JB conv SYE
Holley Terminator LS MPFI system
Full Roll Cage

Frame extension is complete and fully welded

Last edited by Tipped; 11-15-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Tipped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
New gas tank installed with in tank pump capable of feeding LS motor

Next I'll be cutting off the ugly rear frame extension and plating the outside rear frame rails with .188 steel, plus strapping the top and bottom with .120" X 1"

I was able to come up with 4 RH Johnny Joints so far for the 4 link rear. More to come on that.....

Last edited by Tipped; 11-15-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
I forgot to include a pic of what it looked like right before the latest revision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tipped; 11-20-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipped View Post
I forgot to include a pic of what it looked like right before the latest revision.

Yeah. We canít see any pics.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Probably don't have high enough post count or some shit. Weird though, I could see all the pics but one from multiple work computers last night and I wasn't logged on, or anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Snooty Poser

Member # 83100
I see them now.

As soon as i get my shithole of a garage cleaned out, I'm doing the same. What material did you use for frame extensions. I have 0.120 sheet for fish plates, but need to figure out what to get for the extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
The older I get the more I realize mayhem is for young people who don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.
BeatCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
The outer sleeves were made from 3 X 6" .120 wall HREW tube. Those were fairly easy and gave the extension a nice finished look. The inner sleeves were made from the same material, however, the inner sleeves were a bitch because of the way I did it. Harder not smarter. I cut 3X6 hrew down to the dimensions I needed to fit inside the rails tight.

A better way would have been to have a fab shop bend me up two .120 wall C channels to the dimensions I needed and then just weld those two C's together instead of having to make 4 welds down each inner sleeve. Was a bitch and ate up too much time. I'm glad it's done though.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Snooty Poser

Member # 83100
I was planning on doing the same thing as you did. I'll have to see the cost on getting sheet through a brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
The older I get the more I realize mayhem is for young people who don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.
BeatCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 629681
Looking good!
BigRed15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Little bit of fwd progress about to be alot soon. I've got 2 weeks off over the Holidays so I'm gonna hit it hard and get as much as I can done.

Yesterdays work was plating the outside rear frame section to beef it up some. Got a new MIG machine and had to spend some time dialing it in. Wasn't using enough gas flow at first and had to learn the settings sweet spots for the thickness I was welding. Stitch welding 5" sections moving around and side to side letting things cool off between welds. Slow going, but made good progress.

Rear axle is getting ready for it's truss. The coil buckets are not gonna stay. I'm switching to coil-overs. The adjust-ability is too good to ignore and is worth every penny. Pics..

EDIT: coil buckets ARE staying. No room for coilovers I'm not cutting into the frame to make room. OME 2" HD TJ rear coils it is.

Last edited by Tipped; 12-21-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
P-train temp installed for mock up. Haven't ordered the 241 SYE yet. Soon.
One of my biggest questions answered today. Per the pics below I have about 1/4"-3/8" of front d-shaft clearance at ride height with a 2" OD shaft. Not great, but not too bad. I was happy to see there was any amount of clearance. I'll see how it does flexed out. Hopefully acceptable.

Looking like 21"-22" belly height and 107" WB (with stock gas tank in the way). Unfortunately, have to tilt the whole p-train down in the back more than I like, so rear d-shaft angle is tolerable. Rear ds at 20 degree angle at ride height. T-case is below the frame rails about 3-4". Will have approx 24" rear 1350 flanged CV d-shaft length at 107" WB.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Rear 4 link mock-up has finally begun. Got the uppers where I want them. Waiting on pre-cut/pre-drilled brackets for the lower links. I was gonna make all of them till reality set in and I didn't feel like wasting time on making brackets when they are so affordable to buy and weld on. They look better than what I could make too.

The xmbr above the upper links might give clearance issues. Might not. I'll clearance, or remove it entirely if I need to.

Lower link frame xmbr will be gusseted with 1/4" plate to beef it up. Thinking of making the center section removable, but leaning toward not at this time. I can always make that mod later when/if I need to drop the t-case (which I hope is never). I chose to spread the lower links about 17" apart at the frame rather than bringing them close together. Gave better understeer numbers in the 4 link calculator. Pics...

Old 01-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Mock up complete, cycled it and flexed it out. No binding, no rear steer. Pinion angle doesn't change through full cycle. I'm gonna clearance the xmbr above the upper links to allow a full 5" of uptravel. I have 8" of downtravel. Time to make the rear links and move onto SYE, exhaust, then fuel lines. Truck and F-body manifolds won't work. Waiting for a set of C6 Corvette manifolds to show up. Not sure how I'm gonna route the 3" tailpipe through the links. Should be fun to work out.

Full droop

Full squat

Old 01-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
05'-13' C6 Vette manifold clearance to Novak mounts. Pics pass/drvr.......

Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Pics of the flanges I'm gonna use to hook up the pipes to the manifolds and pics of the coils/coilbuckets. Coils are slightly outboarded. Still working on bump stop length. Everything just tacked together. Next up, make the real links and shock mounts.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Exhaust is routed, mostly final welded. Need a couple more hangers and a turn down, but the hard part is done. Pics are at full squat. Rear drive shaft clearance is minimal, but it shouldn't contact. Two 2.5" pipes into one 3". All mandrel bent mild steel. Couldn't afford stainless at this time. Don't have bad rust here, so it'll last at least 5 years, if not longer. I'll spray it with high temp BBQ flat black to help it. Pics...

Old 02-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 743857
looks great. How come you decided to go with coils? Seems like with the amount of work to mount them and the cost of the coils, brackets, shocks, ect. it would be not much more money and less work to upgrade to coilovers.
jri93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Coilovers were the original plan. Not enough room without notching the frame and I didn't want to. I like the frame how it is.

It's not hard to install coils, that should never stop a person if they want them.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 334185
for some reason...I'm not seeing pictures. Would love to see this.Could it be my browser?
hizoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
I donít know why some folks canít see the pics. Obviously youíre logged in because you posted. I donít know why.

Last edited by Tipped; 02-04-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 188496
I see the pics.
Good work so far. That exhaust looks like a hell of a puzzle.

Coils and shocks are a heck of a lot cheaper also.

Last edited by BigAl4102; 02-04-2018 at 12:26 PM.
BigAl4102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 225557
exhaust look good
fredycruger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Thanks, I need to get back on this. Dang flu knocked me down hard. I'm about ready to hit it some more.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Made some progress. Got the 4L80E rebuilt. All new bushings throughout, new high energy frictions/steels, transgo shift kit, HD torque converter with heavy duty lockup clutch, all new shift solenoids throughout. Should be rock solid for many yrs.

Next, ordered a cable actuated driveline e-brake today from High Angle Drivline-Call Jesse at 530-877-2875. Looks like the pic below, only that's not a NP241 (obviously), but same idea. Goodbye useless caddy calipers, hello positively locking e-brake for those moments when a great working e-brake is essential. We discussed the 1350 one ton CV rear driveshaft too. That will be ordered later when I know final length.

Blew the 241 apart after dinner. Ran out of time to go back together with SYE parts. Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow? Haha, pic..

Last edited by Tipped; 02-25-2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Change Pic
Old 02-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
241 back together, sorta. I've got 4 low, neutral, 4 high, 4 high. No 2 high. Good thing I didn't seal the case halves, or speedo housing yet. Gotta pop the rear case back off and investigate. I like how the red anodized collar takes the place of the weak snap ring on the rear output bearing. Much stronger design.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in