Is anyone still producing a TJ front-half kit? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343466
Location: WV
Posts: 760
Is anyone still producing a TJ front-half kit?

It's still a popular thing to do, but as far as I know, nobody is producing these.

I'm going to get back a larger refund than I expected (thanks Trump), and am considering just going to full hydro.
wvjeepguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
GIJEEPN
 
Join Date: May 2009
Member # 135100
Location: Mira Loma, Ca
Posts: 576
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Glad you are getting a refund, lol...

I wouldn't mind having a front half kit, but I haven't found anyone selling one.

If you find anyone selling one, let me know.

Joel
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343466
Location: WV
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJC View Post
Glad you are getting a refund, lol...

I wouldn't mind having a front half kit, but I haven't found anyone selling one.

If you find anyone selling one, let me know.

Joel
Yeah, I probably should just stick with hydro assist. Even with having a WJ pump and a custom rez already, the full hydro parts are still going to run over $1,000.

I should put that money towards better shocks or something.
wvjeepguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Member # 197896
Location: Odessa, FL
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjeepguy81 View Post
It's still a popular thing to do, but as far as I know, nobody is producing these.

I'm going to get back a larger refund than I expected (thanks Trump), and am considering just going to full hydro.
What exactly do you mean by a front-half kit? If you mean cutting off the front frame rails and adding some type of modified frame (like a back half), then they aren't that popular. Doing a front suspension modifications to lengthen wheelbase and improve up travel are significantly more difficult then doing the back due to all of the complications and interactions with steering components, track bars, etc.

Going full hydro takes away some of that problem, but it is still more difficult than the back. There are only three places I know that have something similar to this, and only one of them is regularly produced. TnT Customs makes a steering box relocation kit that allows you to push your front axel forward 2-3 inches and is fairly complete with everything you need to relocate the box, assuming you have a suspension that allows you to push it forward already - or they have the parts to do that as well.

MadMac on here has a kit of parts to make a new front frame section, but I am not sure how available they are. When I looked into a couple years ago he wasn't making them, but sent me a message a few months later that he was thinking about making another run of them. It's just the frame, so you are going to have to figure everything else out yourself.

Brave Motorsports is the only other one I know of, and I don't think it's a production item for them either. I saw it on one of their builds here on Pirate and contacted Dave. We worked out a deal and he supplied a couple of welded front frame horns, plates for the steering box and fish plates to strengthen the frame splice. I was very happy with the quality and design, but again you are basically on your own with figuring out how to implement things once you weld on the frame extensions. I've stretched the front of my TJ by almost 6", but it's still not finished yet. It required a new steering box, new radiator & mounts, new links, new winch mount and a whole lot of other changes, so it is definitely not something I would recommend for everyone unless you are really committed in terms of $ and time. Build thread is here: https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...etch-more.html

but Photobucket ruined all the pics and I have not had time to reload all of them yet
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343466
Location: WV
Posts: 760
Yeah, the transition pieces are the main thing, to make it look clean and to simplify it. I recently backhalfed my frame with the Artec kit and I'm really happy with the results.

Having straight tube between the motor mounts and the grill area would make it way easier to mount suspension stuff, and then I'd want to sink my winch in between the rails and shorten the front frame rails.
wvjeepguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
GIJEEPN
 
Join Date: May 2009
Member # 135100
Location: Mira Loma, Ca
Posts: 576
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjeepguy81 View Post
Yeah, the transition pieces are the main thing, to make it look clean and to simplify it. I recently backhalfed my frame with the Artec kit and I'm really happy with the results.

Having straight tube between the motor mounts and the grill area would make it way easier to mount suspension stuff, and then I'd want to sink my winch in between the rails and shorten the front frame rails.
Since you posted this I've been brain storming what it would take to do this.
Going off what you said you wanted, ( cutting out the wheel arch and running straight frame rails from the motor mounts forward ) I don't see how this would be a benefit, ( assuming what I'm looking at on the frame drawing in the manual are actually engine mounts ). the engine mounts are attached the to frame aft of the wheel well arch. Removing this arch would give you less upward travel if you kept the axle within 3-4" of the stock full bump position.

However, If you extended the frame rails from the top of the arch forward to the natural end of the frame, you would indeed have a lot more space in which to articulate the axle ( roughly 3" more up-travel prior to contacting the frame rails ). However, this method would create it's own problems. For one, for every inch you move those frame rails up you will have to relocate the Grill, Radiator, Engine, Transmission, Fenders, and Body upwards by the same amount.

Now if you were to perform this modification and moved the grill, and radiator, upwards the required 3" you could conceivably install a 3" body lift to line up the body/fenders/grill/radiator and removed the engine fan to install an electric one, you could make it work rather inexpensively.

If you decide to do this, take copious amounts of notes and pictures so we can see how you went about it and maybe try to follow suit. lol. Yup at this time I don't want to be the guinea pig.. lol

BTW: why is not doing a front half kit stopping you from going with full hydro steering?, or am I reading between too many lines. lol

Joel
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 343466
Location: WV
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJC View Post
Since you posted this I've been brain storming what it would take to do this.
Going off what you said you wanted, ( cutting out the wheel arch and running straight frame rails from the motor mounts forward ) I don't see how this would be a benefit, ( assuming what I'm looking at on the frame drawing in the manual are actually engine mounts ). the engine mounts are attached the to frame aft of the wheel well arch. Removing this arch would give you less upward travel if you kept the axle within 3-4" of the stock full bump position.

However, If you extended the frame rails from the top of the arch forward to the natural end of the frame, you would indeed have a lot more space in which to articulate the axle ( roughly 3" more up-travel prior to contacting the frame rails ). However, this method would create it's own problems. For one, for every inch you move those frame rails up you will have to relocate the Grill, Radiator, Engine, Transmission, Fenders, and Body upwards by the same amount.

Now if you were to perform this modification and moved the grill, and radiator, upwards the required 3" you could conceivably install a 3" body lift to line up the body/fenders/grill/radiator and removed the engine fan to install an electric one, you could make it work rather inexpensively.

If you decide to do this, take copious amounts of notes and pictures so we can see how you went about it and maybe try to follow suit. lol. Yup at this time I don't want to be the guinea pig.. lol

BTW: why is not doing a front half kit stopping you from going with full hydro steering?, or am I reading between too many lines. lol

Joel
It's not keeping me from doing going to hydro, but it would make packaging for the front stretch easier. Most guys on here anymore just cap off the frame and run tubes to finish it out, but I don't have a bender.
wvjeepguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Member # 197896
Location: Odessa, FL
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJC View Post
However, If you extended the frame rails from the top of the arch forward to the natural end of the frame, you would indeed have a lot more space in which to articulate the axle ( roughly 3" more up-travel prior to contacting the frame rails ). However, this method would create it's own problems. For one, for every inch you move those frame rails up you will have to relocate the Grill, Radiator, Engine, Transmission, Fenders, and Body upwards by the same amount.
Joel
That's kind of what I did in reverse. The Jeep had a 2"body lift, but when I re-did the frame rails to come out straight from the wheel well hump in the frame the grill was basically sitting on the frame rails with no lift. I ended up attaching the grill to the hoop I welded to the frame rails instead of a central mount like the factory had. At some point I figure I'll re-do the body mounts and move them upward to eliminate the body lift completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJC View Post
Now if you were to perform this modification and moved the grill, and radiator, upwards the required 3" you could conceivably install a 3" body lift to line up the body/fenders/grill/radiator and removed the engine fan to install an electric one, you could make it work rather inexpensively.

If you decide to do this, take copious amounts of notes and pictures so we can see how you went about it and maybe try to follow suit. lol. Yup at this time I don't want to be the guinea pig.. lol

Joel
Yep, All of this stuff has to move/be re-designed and I can tell you from personal experience that "inexpensive" is not a word you would use at any time in reference to a front frame stretch
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
GIJEEPN
 
Join Date: May 2009
Member # 135100
Location: Mira Loma, Ca
Posts: 576
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
That's kind of what I did in reverse. The Jeep had a 2"body lift, but when I re-did the frame rails to come out straight from the wheel well hump in the frame the grill was basically sitting on the frame rails with no lift. I ended up attaching the grill to the hoop I welded to the frame rails instead of a central mount like the factory had. At some point I figure I'll re-do the body mounts and move them upward to eliminate the body lift completely



Yep, All of this stuff has to move/be re-designed and I can tell you from personal experience that "inexpensive" is not a word you would use at any time in reference to a front frame stretch
LOL... I hear you there.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
delsolcharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Member # 227618
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 59
Its only a year old ...but just saw this on facebook and instagram. Motobilt just released a rendition of a TJ/LJ front half kit!!!



Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/dan.dubose/...57151879682052
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtgvLxmD...ns_share_sheet
delsolcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.