Project LongFranks. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Project LongFranks.

This not a hardcore build. I recently bought a 2004 TJU. As I’m ordering parts for the build, I thought I’d start a thread (it will be slow)

I have done tons of research before making any decision. I am a planner and I never jump in feet first. I have probably bugged the crap out of everybody I know asking questions.

This is the thread where I compared the TJU (LJ) to the JK.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...-3-8-jkur.html

I have 2 old world d44 ARB’s so I started this thread to discuss Gear options.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ggy-tj-jk.html

I also discussed all the d44 front axle options.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...questions.html

Here is the thread where I asked about Midwest cars as this Jeep was imported from Missouri.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...auto-rust.html

I took delivery of the Jeep at koh. It is stock except for a 2” bds budget boost.

Here is a thread where I talk about jeeping again.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...k-bitches.html
Attached Images

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 08-03-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
I have taken it out to Gorman, but in stock form itís largely helpless.
Attached Images

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 08-01-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
So far I have purchased a used winch (thanks pbb).

I have also picked up metal cloak fenders, gas tank and oil pan skids. The fenders will be painted a body color and the grill and hood will be repainted as they have some rock chips probably from being in the Midwest. I like how clean the fenders are on SDCJ’s LJ
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...08-victim.html

I’m working on a new front axle from Currie with goatbuilt. A hp44. Once the axle is ready, the jeep will go to PolyPerformance, where it will receive a 2” synergy lift And the other miscellaneous parts will be bolted on.

I currently am looking at used 38” falkens or 35” general grabber. I am worried that 38” tires are too big for the stock rear end. The rear end will receive an ARB and gears to match the front. I was originally thinking of going with 4.88 gears but they may not be deep enough. I don’t have to decide the gear ratio tonight, but I have to decide soon.

I want to keep it as low as possible with as much tire as is reliable.

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 08-03-2018 at 06:15 AM.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 21320
Looking forward to following the build Frank
Old 08-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
This is my build list I’m working off of:

Jeep to do/wishlist-

Transfer lift (Here adjusting)
Seat with more lateral support. (Electric adjust)
Harnesses (haz) and harness bar.
Adaptive shifter (on order at ability center)

Replace driver side sunvisor
Rear Arb (haz).
Rear gears/bearings
Rear wheel spacers to match front width and bolt pattern.
Arb Compressor
Winch (bought)
Winch plate
Rockers
Gas tank skid (here)
Upgrade tie rod/drag link
Mount CO2 tank (haz)
Steering box skid?
Steering box brace?
Bumper front w/ shackle mounts. (For tow bar)?
TJ disconnect swaybar Or not shit discos?
Oil pan skid (here)
Front D44 tubesock style (in process)
SYE?
Fenders (at synergy)

Version2.0 (next summer?)
Rubicrawler
D60 rear
Savvy belly skids and body lift.
Soft top with working zipper.

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 08-03-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4329
You should run Currie anti-rock or an electronic disconnect sway bay. That way your care taker doesn't have to try to hook it back up.
ROCK HUGGER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 06:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK HUGGER View Post
You should run Currie anti-rock or an electronic disconnect sway bay. That way your care taker doesn't have to try to hook it back up.
I would like to. The white Jeep I had an anti-rock and I didnít feel like it was stable enough on the road. (It also had a fairly soft coil overs) I asked a few friends and they thought the Rubicon had disconnecting sway bars but it appears that thatís just a JK feature not a TJ feature. Iím still thinking what I can do. Somebody made ia dual rate sway bar with the warn hub on it but I canít remember who.

Off-road only also made a remote disconnectable sway bar. For a time. Not sure if they still manufacture it.

& Blaine

Old 08-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 178200
I believe Skyjacker made the sway bar with the locking hub.

Would the JK Rubicon bar work for you? I know the frames are different widths but seeing as how you are going with a JK width axle the JK bar may fit with some mods.

Found it... https://www.4wd.com/p/2001-Jeep-Wran...iABEgLtEPD_BwE

Last edited by SLOWPOKE693; 08-02-2018 at 07:09 AM.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 208624
Just out of curiosity, could you include some tech about the hand control setup? Would be interesting to see some of the gadgetry involved for legless wheelers. Also intrigued to see the evolutions and integrations of the FrankCrane.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Question about the 38" Falcon tire choice...... Are those tires available to the general public? I know of a guy that has a set, and while they work awesome in the rocks, are impossible to find. He had a bunch of trouble finding a 5th tire for a spare and ended up getting a used one from Genright after a long search.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 07:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Question about the 38" Falcon tire choice...... Are those tires available to the general public? I know of a guy that has a set, and while they work awesome in the rocks, are impossible to find. He had a bunch of trouble finding a 5th tire for a spare and ended up getting a used one from Genright after a long search.
I honestly donít know. I have a sticker on the back of my wheelchair off of some from years ago that says not for highway service, but that set ended up on a UA truck and Iím not sure where they ended up.

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 08-03-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_Fummins View Post
Just out of curiosity, could you include some tech about the hand control setup? Would be interesting to see some of the gadgetry involved for legless wheelers. Also intrigued to see the evolutions and integrations of the FrankCrane.
Iím still making adjustments to the FrankCrane. As soon as I get it dialed where it doesnít take five minutes to get in and out of the jeep I will shoot a video and show everybody what it does. Right now we are very slow and it takes forever to move me in and out. I get bored and Iím actually doing it so when we streamline it a little ill post more.

Iím waiting on a shifter adapter, when it gets here I will show you the hand controls.

& Blaine

Old 08-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
I believe Skyjacker made the sway bar with the locking hub.

Would the JK Rubicon bar work for you? I know the frames are different widths but seeing as how you are going with a JK width axle the JK bar may fit with some mods.

Found it... https://www.4wd.com/p/2001-Jeep-Wran...iABEgLtEPD_BwE
Iím not sure if the width of the JK bar will work. They are widely available though so I might check one out to see.

That is the sway bar I was thinking of. It says 4 to 6 inches of lift but I bet you could just cut down the end links and make it work with less.

& Blaine

Old 08-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Has Training Wheels

Member # 112488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
I would like to. The white Jeep I had an anti-rock and I didn’t feel like it was stable enough on the road. (It also had a fairly soft coil overs) I asked a few friends and they thought the Rubicon had disconnecting sway bars but it appears that that’s just a JK feature not a TJ feature. I’m still thinking what I can do. Somebody made ia dual rate sway bar with the warn hub on it but I can’t remember who.

Off-road only also made a remote disconnectable sway bar. For a time. Not sure if they still manufacture it.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16191_5501_07.htm

I have a Sway-loc and I love it. Stiffer than stock when locked and still pulls over 1000 on the RTI ramp unlocked. Got mine used so I paid a lot less than new price.

Last edited by Da-Tinman; 08-02-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Da-Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 44231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post

I currently am looking at used 38Ē falkens or 35Ē general grabber. I am worried that 38Ē tires are too big for the stock rear end. The rear end will receive an ARB and gears to match the front. I was originally thinking of going with 4.88 gears but they may not be deep enough. I donít have to decide the gear ratio tonight, but I have to decide soon.
If you want to run the 38's, you are going to want to run something much deeper than 4.88's if you hope to use OD. The OD gearing on the 42RLE is stupid high, 0.69:1, and sucks even with the bone stock tires. I hated the 4.88's and 35" MTR's on my '04 LJ because it would barely pull on flat ground, especially if we were loaded up for a weekend trip.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Tinman View Post

I have a Sway-loc and I love it. Stiffer than stock when locked and still pulls over 1000 on the RTI ramp unlocked. Got mine used so I paid a lot less than new price.
If I go that route I will have to find a used one or wait until the first round of build is over. Canít do it all at once.

& Blaine

Old 08-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyw View Post
If you want to run the 38's, you are going to want to run something much deeper than 4.88's if you hope to use OD. The OD gearing on the 42RLE is stupid high, 0.69:1, and sucks even with the bone stock tires. I hated the 4.88's and 35" MTR's on my '04 LJ because it would barely pull on flat ground, especially if we were loaded up for a weekend trip.
Blaine said things that were very similar. I think he wanted me to go with 538’s for 35 maybe 37 I don’t remember. it’s in one of the other threads. The times I have driven this jeep on the highway I haven’t had a problem with 31’s and 3.73’s, but they weigh a lot less. I do drive freaking slow anymore.

Edit: 5.38’s now.

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 08-02-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186755
Cool jerp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Tinman View Post

A jeep here at the shop had one of those, it was easy to use.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Has Training Wheels

Member # 112488
The only thing I found wrong with the Swayloc is that it tends to lock itself randomly on the trail and I broke one of the links figuring that out. Now I wrap a velcro strap around the lever to keep it unlocked. I've never had in unlock itself though.

Name:  32784875_1260705804065223_8850332033885405184_o.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  32725619_1260705667398570_8742911152305995776_o.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  66.2 KB

Last edited by Da-Tinman; 08-02-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Da-Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49997
I know comparing apples to oranges as I have the nv3550 in my hoopity but it runs right a 2800 rpm at 70 with 35's and 4.88. Decent down the freeway.

Now I wish I had lower gears offroad but hopefully that comes later with a crawl box and a flipped 300
rugby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby View Post
I know comparing apples to oranges as I have the nv3550 in my hoopity but it runs right a 2800 rpm at 70 with 35's and 4.88. Decent down the freeway.

Now I wish I had lower gears offroad but hopefully that comes later with a crawl box and a flipped 300
My old one had 4.56, 35ís and an ax-15. This feels like a different animal. Itís more sluggish and has no throttle response. More tractor like.

& Blaine

Old 08-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Cool. Can't wait to see it done.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
What I ended up doing for a front axle. Much discussion with Goatbuilt, Carbon Offroad and Currie Enterprises. I chose a lot of jk parts because I want wide availability of spares.

D44 hp
Arb
5.38 gears by Carbon Offroad
Jk width
Jk inner cís out (brakes, knuckles, ub)
Spring and link brackets for TJ.
JK track bar bracket.
5 on 5
Goatbuilt track bar frame bracket
Carbon Offroad Chromo JKR axle shafts
Synergy ball joints

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 08-02-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
What width? And whatís the plan for different bolt patterns? Looking forward to updates.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
What width? And whatís the plan for different bolt patterns? Looking forward to updates.
Jk width. 65Ē? Iíve seen a few different widths listed, but this takes stock JKR shafts.

To increase the rear width, and adapt the bolt pattern, Iíll run spacers in back. I wanted to run 5 on 5 because oe wheels are plentiful and cheap.

& Blaine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in