I'm bringing home a J10 tomorrow - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 850846
I'm bringing home a J10 tomorrow

I went to get it the other day and discovered the rag joint was missing from the steering box. Like, from the clamp to the rag itself, gone. It came to me that somewhere I had a 76 Camaro sub frame that might have a steering box on it, and maybe even a rag joint, so I found it under the cut up remains of an XJ. I figure the J10 has a Saginaw steering column, so it should have a Saginaw steering box. Is my line of thinking correct?

On Rockauto, they show to use the same coupler (what I call a rag), but don't list the complete assembly for the J10 as they do the Camaro, which lists a Dorman 31015. I'd think if the assembly was the same, they might as well list it for the J10. If this thing doesn't fit, it's going to be fun to load.
AnotherXJproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Spline count may be different. I have rebuilt a Camaro coupler with a Jeep service kit though.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 53453
It won't likely fit as the splined input shaft on the J truck steering boxes is typically larger at 13/16" while most car/SUV stuff is only 3/4".

DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Spline count may be different. I have rebuilt a Camaro coupler with a Jeep service kit though.
Smaller Jeeps (YJ/TJ/XJ) use the 3/4" version that's more common and the same as the mullet car.

DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 850846
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
It won't likely fit as the splined input shaft on the J truck steering boxes is typically larger at 13/16" while most car/SUV stuff is only 3/4".
Only other thing I can imagine might work in my possession is one from a 79 K20.

I thought the mullet came into popularity with the third generation, or perhaps the late second in 78.

Shit, Dorman lists that one as a 31011, 3/4" 17 spline.

Last edited by AnotherXJproject; 08-04-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 850846
Not content to wonder, I just took the piece over there and tried it.

It fits.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
I've owned at least 10 FSJ boxes and every one of them was/is 3/4". Oddly enough CJ power boxes are 13/16".
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in