78 Wagoner 4d. Starting issues - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 782041
78 Wagoner 4d. Starting issues

Greetings.
I have a 78 with 360. I have replaced both power cables. New remanufactured starter, New starter solenoid,
Sometimes it will not crank over. Leave it for a couple of days starts up no issues.
When you start the Jeep at s and I terminal what should the voltage be?
I terminal starts out at around 6.9 volt and slowly builds up to 12.2 v. S terminal is a monetary 9.4v.
What would happen if the solenoid doesn't have 12v`s
And in theory to by pass the ignition switch I have to have 12v to terminal s which goes to coil and a monetary 12v to terminal S.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Jokerrw4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 782041
Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 264009
so, s gets voltage only when key in start position only and activates the solenoid. of course the big cables send power from the battery to the starter itself. "i" sends power from the starter solenoid directly into the ignition system to give a hotter spark during cranking (or something like that). the body of the solenoid MUST be properly grounded. some solenoids have a "g" terminal for this, some just ground through the base.

for diagnosis;
if the solenoid doesn't clunk wen you turn the key, check the "s" wire for voltage while turning the key. if voltage is present and solenoid is grounded properly- replace solenoid. if no voltage troubleshoot start wire circuiting.
if clunks and 12 volts is present on the large cable at the starter, take the starter back to where you got it. reman starters are notorious for being bad off the shelf.
you can bypass the key portion of the circuit by jumping from the battery cable to the s terminal with a wire, screwdriver, needle nosed pliers or a momentary switch designed for the purpose.
if the solenoid is functioning properly, jumping battery to "s" will crank and give power to the ignition through the "i" terminal. it should start and run. will die if key isn't on. could jump power to "i" wire also, but will bypass the ballast resistor which will be hard on ignition components long term.
hill-billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 782041
Thanks for the information.
I don't think I had a good ground at solenoid. I sanded where the bracket bolts to chassis. She has been starting ever since. Fingers crossed knock on wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill-billy View Post
so, s gets voltage only when key in start position only and activates the solenoid. of course the big cables send power from the battery to the starter itself. "i" sends power from the starter solenoid directly into the ignition system to give a hotter spark during cranking (or something like that). the body of the solenoid MUST be properly grounded. some solenoids have a "g" terminal for this, some just ground through the base.

for diagnosis;
if the solenoid doesn't clunk wen you turn the key, check the "s" wire for voltage while turning the key. if voltage is present and solenoid is grounded properly- replace solenoid. if no voltage troubleshoot start wire circuiting.
if clunks and 12 volts is present on the large cable at the starter, take the starter back to where you got it. reman starters are notorious for being bad off the shelf.
you can bypass the key portion of the circuit by jumping from the battery cable to the s terminal with a wire, screwdriver, needle nosed pliers or a momentary switch designed for the purpose.
if the solenoid is functioning properly, jumping battery to "s" will crank and give power to the ignition through the "i" terminal. it should start and run. will die if key isn't on. could jump power to "i" wire also, but will bypass the ballast resistor which will be hard on ignition components long term.
Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in