Hydro assist steering coolers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7624
Send a message via AIM to offroadman83
Hydro assist steering coolers

I've searched my brains off and can't seem to find much especially on jeeps with hydro assist and what cooler they are running. I'm gonna be running a very sweet AGR pump with WTO ram pushing 40s on superdutys. The only think I lack is a steering cooler and Im just unsure of what to get. Seen everything from the heat sink style to to tube and fin and even plate but everyone seems to have some kind of problems with all certain types. I figured I would put this into the jeep specific are as well for mounting pictures and what works best for our type of rigs. My thinking is running old school tube and fin with a fan..........Keep in mind I live in one of the hottest regions of the USA ..........absolute hell. Hopefully can get some good tech here.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 34410
I am running a simple tube and finned U shaped cooler, im only pushing a stock box, stock pump and tapped box. I was careful to match the lines all to the same size (3/8) haven't experienced any issues as of yet. For mounting I have it mounted inside the grill with some rubber isolators and zip ties.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 78325
Run a heat sync

Howes reference guide. What's nice about this flow chart is you can visualize each segment of hose and how it applies to any application. I have a bunch of prints so when I need to build a system and buy fittings hose types I can easily check them off.

Hose selection: I prefer the astectics of black but it's off by about 50 degrees at the high end of heat requirements from blue. As much as I hate push lock stuff the ID is better for flow on the non pressurized side and select fittings have 3 barbs vs 2. The aeroquip teflon hose Im running from the output of the pump to the hydroboost to steering box is really nice. Extremely high temp rating but cannot be kinked at all.

[/QUOTE]
49willys_mogon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 36385
I ran a tube and fin one with no issues with assist or full hydro. IF you go heat sink, I have a brand new one Ill sell ya. I dont need it.
Big4x4Rides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 690690
I run my Hydro boost and Hydro assist through a tube and fin from PSC, No issues even in the AZ heat.
bkh98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197896
I can't tell you if it works or not since I'm still building, but here's my set-up running an AGR/Steerco CB pump, new design Steerco reservoir and a Russell 15" heat sink cooler. Line from reservoir to pump is -10 Fragola push lock (rated for vacuum), lines from box to cooler and back to reservoir are -8 Fragola push lock. The cooler is held to the grill brace with hose clamps. I used a carbide burr in a die grinder to put some semi-circular slots in the backside cooler fins that are the same angle as the grill brace so there is enough room to fit the cooler in front of the grill brace and it won't slide around.

You want to keep the cooler as low as possible, definitely below the reservoir so it is the highest point in the system. I compromised on mine as I didn't want it blocked by the winch, but it is still about 4" below the reservoir. The other cooler in the grill is one of my transmission coolers.

The return line from the box has a 90 that points towards the passenger side and runs along the bottom of the grill and then up to the passenger side of the cooler, which has a -8AN sweep 90 pointed straight down. The driver side of the cooler has another 90 pointed straight down and the hose exits the slotted area in the grill on the driver side and back to the reservoir.

I don't have any pictures of the cooler hose routing handy, but it's pretty self-explanatory. Here's a picture of the cooler mount, reservoir mount and feedline to pump.

giles45shop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7624
Send a message via AIM to offroadman83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big4x4Rides View Post
I ran a tube and fin one with no issues with assist or full hydro. IF you go heat sink, I have a brand new one Ill sell ya. I dont need it.
Go figure i just bought a heat sink style today....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
dibs on the cooler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in