TJ steering wheel alignment - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 372697
TJ steering wheel alignment

Hey all,

Finished relocating my steering box for a front stretch, and while I was checking clearances around all my new steering joints, I accidentally rotated the wheel by 90 degrees relative to the box. I guessed and put it back where I think it should go, but now I'm pretty sure it is installed 180deg off.

I have read that this is a problem for the clock spring in the wheel.

Is there a way to tell how far it does go and then get it back centered?
Gordon-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 264009
I had to do this for a Pontiac Montana van. Follow procedure for removing and reinstalling the steering wheel. Wasn't too hard. I understand a short in the clock spring could deploy the airbag.
hill-billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 101521
It has nothing to do with the clock spring.

You need to adjust the clamp on your draglink. You either turn it up or down, depending on which way your wheel is off.

Basic Jeep Front End Alignment

Check out the second part of the article.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3056
You're supposed to tape or strap the steering wheel in place so it doesn't rotate before you disconnect the steering shaft
If your only 180* off I cant imagine that would hurt the clock spring at all.

Last edited by TANKOMA; 09-10-2018 at 08:11 AM.
TANKOMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197896
Are you not using the factory coupling joint at the box and a factory box? If so (at least on the early TJs) the joint and shaft are keyed with a flat spot on one side, so you couldn't get it 180 out - assuming the box was in mid-position (wheels straight) when you removed the shaft.

How can you think that it is 180 out? If so, that means the steering wheel is upside down down with the wheels straight ahead. Seems like you are either correct, or the wheel is rotated an extra 360 degrees - assuming the steering wheel is straight and the wheels are straight. I'm not sure how many extra turns you can get in a clock spring before it is wound too tight and it sounds like there is no real way to know - so you can either disconnect from the box and rotate the steering wheel 360 degrees in the direction you think will "unwind" it, or run it and see if the horn quits working and the ABS light come on

I understand your frustration. I did a front stretch on my TJ, swapped in a different box and a different shaft from box to the joint at the firewall and none of it was keyed. It was quite as big a deal to me as my clock spring was already busted, so the steering wheel could just spin circles all day along and nothing broke.

However, I was able to use the phasing of the new joint at the box and the existing one at the firewall to give me some clues on proper orientation. That would help you if you were 90 or 180 out, but won't help if you are 360 out.
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 372697
Hey all, thanks for the help so far.

Yes, I did lock the steering wheel in place while I had everything disconnected, but while I was checking for clearances, I had to rotate the wheel, then when I found that one of the bolts was binding, I had to do some grinding, etc... Anyway, I neglected to re-lock the wheel and got it off.

No, I am not using the stock joints.

I am using a flaming river spline to 3/4 DD joint at the box, running up to around the motor mount area, where I've got a regular DD-DD joint, then using the factory slip shaft going to the factory univeral on the steering column.

What happened was I disconnected the 2nd DD-DD joint, and the wheel spun 90 degrees. I think I guessed wrong, because now the wheel is upside down when the pitman arm is centered.

So the debate is how to fix it. I have no clue which way it spun, so potentially I could flip the wheel over and be either correct or 360 degrees off.

Or I lock the wheel, and rotate the joint on the steering box by 1/2 turn, since the flaming river joint does not have a master spline it can be installed in any orientation.

Edit:

Can I just disconnect the joints and carefully spin the wheel until it stops in both directions and then relocate the center? Or is the clock spring so fragile that you wouldn't be able to feel it reach the end of travel?

Last edited by Gordon-B; 09-11-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Gordon-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 264009
steering should hit stops prior to reaching the end of clockspring travel. if you think it might be off, dont risk it. it's not hard to do.

only spent a couple min google searching. here is a vid. bet you can find a better one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxYHC6oX6eQ
hill-billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in