1 tons on short arms and coil springs. Bad idea? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 512986
1 tons on short arms and coil springs. Bad idea?

I want to upgrade to 40s on my LJ, but I'm trying to determine how much I need to stage it. Eventually the plan is Ford D60 king pin front, either 14 bolt or ECGS D60 in the rear; 40s, 3 link front, 4 link rear, ORIs, and hydro assist. I plan on doing the work myself, so it's ok if I have to tear the same things apart multiple times, but I don't have the funds to do it all at once. I'm trying to figure out how far i have to be able to get in order to start.

Would it be rational to install 1 tons on a short arm currie lift with high line fenders, standard coil springs (my 4" lift + 1" BL might not be enough so I might need to buy new springs), and 40s. Roll with that for a few years and then upgrade to long arms 3 link front, 4 link rear, probably still on standard coil springs. Roll with that for a year or two and upgrade to Coilovers or ORIs?

Or should I wait until I have the $$ to also do the long arm upgrade too?
vinsanity0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity0 View Post
I want to upgrade to 40s on my LJ, but I'm trying to determine how much I need to stage it. Eventually the plan is Ford D60 king pin front, either 14 bolt or ECGS D60 in the rear; 40s, 3 link front, 4 link rear, ORIs, and hydro assist. I plan on doing the work myself, so it's ok if I have to tear the same things apart multiple times, but I don't have the funds to do it all at once. I'm trying to figure out how far i have to be able to get in order to start.

Would it be rational to install 1 tons on a short arm currie lift with high line fenders, standard coil springs (my 4" lift + 1" BL might not be enough so I might need to buy new springs), and 40s. Roll with that for a few years and then upgrade to long arms 3 link front, 4 link rear, probably still on standard coil springs. Roll with that for a year or two and upgrade to Coilovers or ORIs?

Or should I wait until I have the $$ to also do the long arm upgrade too?
Considering you state that you will "Eventually" install D60s front and rear I'm assuming that you are thinking of installing the 40" tires on your stock axles. If this is correct, I don't think your axles will handle the them for very long.

It would be a much wiser course of action to collect the parts then install them all at one time. This it will minimize the downtime of the vehicle, and you can continue to wheel the piss out of the current set up.

As far as installing 1tons on short arms. It's rational, but the only gain you will see is the gain in ground clearance. You will see no gain in Suspension travel until you "upgrade" to long arms.

Joel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DriverJC; 09-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 512986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJC View Post
Considering you state that you will "Eventually" install D60s front and rear I'm assuming that you are thinking of installing the 40" tires on your stock axles. If this is correct, I don't think your axles will handle the them for very long.
That's not what I meant. I agree. The current build is 35s on HP30/8.8, 4" lift + 1" BL, Currie CAs, standard tube fenders. That poor HP30 would explode in the driveway with 40s. lol It would then be 3 upgrades spaced out a couple years between each.
  1. "1 tons on a short arm currie lift with high line fenders, standard coil springs, and 40s."
  2. "long arms 3 link front, 4 link rear, probably still on standard coil springs."
  3. "Coilovers or ORIs"
vinsanity0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
LOL... I kind of figured you weren't going to install them onto the stock axles, but you never really know. right...

Can you do it. yes you can and you can make it work to an extent.

I think one of the problem you will encounter with doing it the way you are planning is that you will have to lift the vehicle rather tall to fit the 40's. Most "accepted" lifts are 3-4" w/1" body lift for 35" tires so for 40's you would be looking at close to 6" of lift and a belly height of 27" or so, which would in turn increase the angle of the control arms from the frame to the axle, and give you a rather rough ride.

I still think it would be better to wait and collect the parts build it once.

Joel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 112602
I staged mine, but kind of the opposite order.

Started with shitty 4" short arm lift and 35's.

Stage 1 was to do all my body modifications. Armor, boat sides, comp cut rear, highline front, custom bumpers, cage, etc.

Stage 2 was a 3-link and front stretch (8") of the dana 30. The links and geometry were built such that the future superduty 60 would bolt in its place. The only waste would eventually be the brackets i put on the 30, and redoing the front coilover hoops. I retubed and balanced the stock front axle.

Stage 3 is the big one. Rear stretch/coilovers/14 bolt. Front Dana 60/Full hydro. 5.38's and 42's. I am wrapping up this stage now...

In hind sight, this would have been a little simpler doing everything in one shot, but i haven't wasted too much. I didnt want the jeep to be a never ending project, so staging it into more attainable goals has made it easier to stay motivated. I have seen a number of build threads on here that get about 80% done and sold. I didn't want to do that. Driving it between stages has only made me more anxious for the next! I have wasted less than a grand on a build that is costing over 30k in parts alone.

Oh yea, Phase 4 is LS3/6l80/atlas
iBkickinit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in