Driven Daily "Junk Jeep" - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 857244
Driven Daily "Junk Jeep"

I've never owned a 4x4 vehicle before. I'll be honest here, I don't think I would have bought one if not for 4WD Action (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs-...2ky3oImX83S_2Q). I don't know yet if it's something I'll stick with, but I bought a Wrangler to give me my first taste of 4x4 ownership. It's a YJ (which means leaf springs front/rear), already has an 8.8 rear end swapped in and cable actuator on the front end, and is on 33" tires (in pretty good shape, no dry rot and only a few years old). It's unquestionably rough ... but it's a Jeep, so it'll be pretty straightforward to sort out, right? I suppose I'm going to find out, and paid $1,000 then negotiated to have the previous owner drive it down to my house.

The catch is that I need to repair it before snow starts to fly. The frame is in great shape, but the tub has a bit of rust in the floor so I'm keen to get a look at what's under those "rock rails" (am I 4x4'ing right? rock rails?)

I've seen worse. As far as New England rust goes, this is pretty workable. These OEM floor designs don't really impress me though; They're going to be difficult to repair without a clear line between rusty panels and clean panels. I have a bit of 1" square tube taking up space in my shop, so I may as well put it to use. I'd wager I can make a simpler, stronger design that won't weigh much.
karch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 857244
With that out of the way, I wanted to review the body: frame alignment before tearing things apart further. The body mounts on the passenger side were dead-and-gone, and were an absolute nightmare to actually remove because there was no structure attached to them. I ended up welding pieces of square tube to them all in order to get purchase to break the bolts on them. I'm OK with dealing with rust, but these sleeve-in-bushing designs compounded the rust problem quite a bit.

With that done, I just used some 2x4's to space the body off the frame/bumper so I had a little room to work on the tub floors.

That went well, so I went to town with an angle grinder. This body is so much easier to work on than unibody cars; Everything's at 90 degree angles!

The structure has all fallen away on the tub, so I whipped up a quick little ladder to attach the seat mounts to the body mounts. I'm always sensitive to seat mounting; I've seen enough seats get shifted around in minor crashes to know that I want these staying in place if/when I roll it. These are simple, lightweight, and strong.

I have a few notches to cut so these are perpendicular to the frame, and may tie these ladders in vertically as well. Overall I'm pleased with the fitment, and I like that the seat belts, seats, and body mounts will all be on the same structure.

I was planning to just make flat steel floors, but OEM replacement panels are cheaper than the materials I'd use to make them, so I should have new body mounts and driver/passenger floor panels arriving for this weekend. I should have more repairs coming soon!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Perfect time to boatside.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 857244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Perfect time to boatside.
Interesting! I was considering doing 45-degree rocker bottoms, but had no idea it was already a thing, and had a name.

The only body panels I haven't been able to find inexpensively are the front fenders (not overfenders, those're ridiculously cheap). If anyone has some advice on where I can replace them, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm just going to use a bit more square tube to get a straight, vertical surface to mount overfenders to.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Look at aftermarket fenders? PSC, metalcloak, nemesis, etc. if you are doing it, get a little more tire clearance. Also aluminum fenders are a thing.

If you are stuck on OE fenders contact SGT Jeep or another salvage yard.

& Blaine

Old 10-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 79509
While youre balls deep, pull off the JC whitney diamond plate and fixed the rear body mounts and corners.

Since this is a toy, just buy some inexpensive tube front fenders, or a kit.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
While youre balls deep, pull off the JC whitney diamond plate and fixed the rear body mounts and corners.
Id be afraid of how much rust is behind them.

& Blaine

Old 10-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 857244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Look at aftermarket fenders? PSC, metalcloak, nemesis, etc. if you are doing it, get a little more tire clearance. Also aluminum fenders are a thing.

If you are stuck on OE fenders contact SGT Jeep or another salvage yard.
I'm not set on anything, I just want to keep this inexpensive and legal. I had only taken a quick look for aftermarket fenders on eBay and only noticed overfenders and super expensive OE fenders. I'll do some more digging, now that I have brand names to look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post

Since this is a toy, just buy some inexpensive tube front fenders, or a kit.
... just a toy? This is my way to/from work through the winter :-D
I'm not sure if tube fenders will pass NH inspection or not. I remember there being a tire coverage RSA at one point, but now all I can find is

I'm going to finish tackling the rockers, then pull the rest of the cheap diamond plate. If it's worth anything to anyone, I'll just sell it after that. I want this as simple as possible, and covering up body panels is how rust gets this bad.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by karch View Post
I'm not sure if tube fenders will pass NH inspection or not. I remember there being a tire coverage RSA at one point, but now all I can find is
Gray area. In NH shops mainly go by Saf-Cs, not RSAs. See: Saf-C 3200

According to this they pass.

Quote:
PART Saf-C 3221 VEHICLE BODY OR CHASSIS
Saf-C 3221.01 Body Damage.
(a) A vehicle shall be rejected if:
(2) Any fender is:
a. Missing;
b. Improperly installed;
c. Not the proper height; or
d. Loosely attached;
But here, not so much.

Quote:
Saf-C 3221.02 Replacement of Body or Chassis. Any portion of the body or chassis of a vehicle which is missing or damaged shall be replaced with material(s) that meet the manufacturer's specifications.
And don't forget this.

Quote:
Saf-C 3211.06 Tire Width.
(a) A vehicle shall be rejected if the width of any tire or wheel assembly extends beyond the original manufacturer's specified fender lines, except in the case of passenger vehicles in which the fender line has been extended by using metal, rigid fiberglass or rigid rubber wheel-well extensions.
(b) Pursuant to RSA 266:57, if not equipped with proper fenders, a vehicle shall be rejected if not equipped with fender guards or flaps which prevent the throw, splash, spray of water, dirt or other matter upward or to the rear.
So depends on the shop you go to. But, from what I see, if you got to a strict shop yer gonna have a bad day regardless of the fenders.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 857244
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5.5 View Post
Gray area. In NH shops mainly go by Saf-Cs, not RSAs. See: Saf-C 3200

So depends on the shop you go to. But, from what I see, if you got to a strict shop yer gonna have a bad day regardless of the fenders.
There it is, I knew I had read similar legislation to that. I'm violating all of Saf-C 3221.01a right now!

A few parts just arrived today, and I can't wait to get out of work to install them!

Last edited by karch; 10-12-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: new parts
Old 10-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 857244

Further hacking and chopping, but I haven't started the welding yet.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 857244
Flickr is shutting down their free tier of image hosting, and I'm not really interested in paying what they're asking to continue using it. Without a decent image hosting location, I don't really have a good way to share progress.

In short, I've moved the Jeep into my shop for the winter, chopped off everything behind the doors, and made a 1" square tube replacement floor and flatbed. I'd like to add a proper cage, especially after seeing how janky the OEM 'cage' is. I'm just realizing how unsafe these vehicles can be out of the factory, and it's kind of horrifying.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 119189
Quote:
Originally Posted by karch View Post
Flickr is shutting down their free tier of image hosting, and I'm not really interested in paying what they're asking to continue using it. Without a decent image hosting location, I don't really have a good way to share progress.

In short, I've moved the Jeep into my shop for the winter, chopped off everything behind the doors, and made a 1" square tube replacement floor and flatbed. I'd like to add a proper cage, especially after seeing how janky the OEM 'cage' is. I'm just realizing how unsafe these vehicles can be out of the factory, and it's kind of horrifying.
Just save the pics to your computer, then upload them on here. Its a little difficult to figure out but easy once you do it a time or 2
astjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 857244
There is no option to upload or add attachments to replies. It must be disabled intentionally, because I know it's a built-in function of vbulletin.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 136091
Location: Back in the good 'ol U S of A after three long deployements!
Looks like an interesting project. You seem to have some fab skills. Guessing you've been around motorsports for a while?

To upload, hit the reply button (not quick reply) and you'll get the reply window with all the features. Then click on the paperclip button. That will popup a window that allows you to upload upto 5 pictures. Once that's done click on the paperclip again to instert the pictures.

Name:  paperclip.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  13.4 KB

1989 XJ on 35s Work in Progress
GFY Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 857244
I definitely do not have that as an option. Here's a screenshot, but Google Photos doesn't allow me to directly link to an image to embed it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XPnL2wheJxao688c9

Thanks for the compliment. I haven't been around motorsports for a long time, but I think I have 5 seasons of hillclimb racing under my belt. I have a humble little slice of YouTube here, and wouldn't be opposed to producing some videos about the Jeep (you can see what's still attached in the background of the video) if people want that. https://youtu.be/RbknvRnvLw4?list=PL...CK2HthRyVNKYyG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in