SUA conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 215097
SUA conversion

Needing opinions from the experienced builders out there, doing a 1 ton swap with 3 link in front and xj leafs in the rear of my tj and wondering if one these kits has an advantage over the other? Iím not nice to my stuff so looking for the strongest design I can get. Thanks fellas!
Katz5403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I built one similar to the Barnes kit and chose that way the unlit threads donít get boogered up. Never know when youíll have to swap a center pin in the field and Iíd like to not have to cut the ubolt.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 66852
I also made my own similar to the Barns kit, I initially used part store u-bolts (those gold colored ones) and found them to shear at the bends after getting beat on. I ended up going to a heavy equipment place that bent up some beefier u-bolts and never had the issue again.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 626242
Are you going to run a anti wrap bar? I would suggest that you do. I messed around with a few variations on my YJ with rear XJ spring stretch. I have seen a few rigs run SUA to try and lower the ride height and although doable all went with a anti wrap bar as well eventually, just to much wheel hop.

There is alooot to consider with this swap. Your ride height is kinda limited to the front 3 link. If your not going to tube out the front and slam it you can only go so low with the factory frame, oil pan etc. There are tons of builds on here that are going the same route.

I landed on rear XJ stock spring pack with a extra XJ rear main leaf with the bushing pressed out creating a military wrap on the front spring eye. SOA with a Ruff Stuff anti wrap kit and the rear shackle to the top of the rear bumper/cross member. Net lift was around 4.5"

Hope this helps!
HVYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 47838
I also did a DIY u-bolt setup...I just ordered the U-bolts the way I wanted....pretty much like the Barnes.

If you do any rock crawling, you don't want the other....it's just more shit hanging down to get caught on stuff.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14004
Personally, I prefer to link the rear and run leaves up front. You are going to need to minimize axle wrap, so I'd recommend a set of longer perches. Something like these from RuffStuff:

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...D44-PERCH.html

Also, neither of those designs protects the center pin, although you could add a piece of solid stock under the Barnes style that has been grooved for the u-bolts and drilled for the center pin nut. Here is a picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- TBI 304/T18a/D300/60/70/5.86/43's
87 Samurai - GSX carbs/16V 1.6/GRS-II/linked rear/31's
Kreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreep View Post
Personally, I prefer to link the rear and run leaves up front. You are going to need to minimize axle wrap, so I'd recommend a set of longer perches. Something like these from RuffStuff:

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...D44-PERCH.html

Also, neither of those designs protects the center pin, although you could add a piece of solid stock under the Barnes style that has been grooved for the u-bolts and drilled for the center pin nut. Here is a picture:

Those perch’s suck SUA. The limit droop if your spring has much arch. They are good for SOA.

I’d link the rear if wrap is an issue. XJ leaves are pretty garbage in my experience.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 11-01-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Those perchís suck SUA. The limit droop if your spring has much arch. They are good for SOA.

Iíd link the rear if wrap is an issue. XJ leaves are pretty garbage in my experience.
True on all points. I consider reduced axel wrap worth it though.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreep View Post
True on all points. I consider reduced axel wrap worth it though.
If axle wrap is of concern on a 1 ton TJ, you need to consider a trackbar over marginal gains with a 1/2" longer spring pad.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 14004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
If axle wrap is of concern on a 1 ton TJ, you need to consider a trackbar over marginal gains with a 1/2" longer spring pad.
If they were only 1/2" longer they wouldn't limit droop, I think they are like 3" longer. Agree that a traction bar (not trackbar) is needed in the rear on any leaf sprung rig with tires over 36" and that is only a Band-Aid, links are where its at

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in