Jeep CJ rebuilt and ford 351 swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 732185
Jeep CJ rebuilt and ford 351 swap

I would like to let anyone know that is planning a rebuild and conversion this that I may be able to help with some questions as you go . I am no professional nor am I doing the work on my Jeep . But I have had to deal with the cost of my and my mechanics mistakes . I will give some quick but important examples . First donít expect your mechanic to be able to keep up with every part that comes in . Make sure the part is undamaged and fits on arrival . It is not good to find out 8 months later that a very expensive flywheel does not fit .
Ga.scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 732185
More on the build

I started this project 2 years ago after finding a perfect condition garage find 1983 Jeep Scrambler in pieces . When I say pieces , I mean every piece pulled apart . I decided that I would rebuild it better ( you know 6 million dollar man stuff ) than it ever was . Yet I wanted it to look relatively stock . No wide axels, no fender mods etc . So I purchased a 500 hp crate motor from Ford Motorsport . I know everyone is thinking why didn’t you go with an Ls ? It’s sounds kind of silly , but I like the way a Ford looks inside the engine bay . Also Fords have a distinct sound that is awesome ! And no I am not anti Chevy or Jeep . I have a CJ7 ( daily driver ) that is very early in its build and it will have an LS . I sourced a t19 from Novak . Of course Novak will be a great asset. They are great ! Advanced Adapters are also great ! So utilize the resources they can provide . The parts that they send are quite amazing ! My axles are from East Coast Gear . Dana 44 30 spline , ARB lockers, stock width , giant disc brakes . Very nice ! Pricey but very nice . I want to clear up one thing that seems incorrect on Novak’s site . Sourcing a bellhousing for this conversion is not easy . When you find one get everything including the plate that centers your starter . I called and visited many salvage yards in a search for the bellhousing . Maybe when Novak originally set up there site these were easier to find . And I know what your thinking . The same thing I thought . Ford must have made millions of them ? Evidently salvage yards have crushed millions also . It has a Rubicon express lift, maybe not the best company IMO .They were not helpful and quite arrogant acting . My mechanic ( 4x4 specific ) was not impressed with it either . He had nothing to do with the purchase or he said he would have went in a different direction . It has a Eddie performance serpentine system. Wow what a gorgeous part !

Last edited by Ga.scrambler; 10-24-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 732185
More on the build

If you start a build like this please remember that you could buy a new BMW for the cost of what your about to spend . And when I say BMW , I mean a M model . I am enjoying it but I will never ever get my money back out of it . I had gotten a very small inheritance ( under $20,000 ) and it was gone in the first couple of weeks . Since then I have worked every hour of overtime and maxed credit cards to get to where I am . And where am I ? Still in a million pieces . They are better pieces . My point is that you can really get in over your head quickly . I am fortunate that I have a ready supply of overtime if I need it .

Old 10-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
it gets expensive quick if you have somebody else build your project

your parts list is also big $$ items
this should look good
got any pictures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 732185
It does get expensive if someone else build it . It also gets expensive if you build it . I spoke to some folks about what I am trying to do before hand . People mostly in the show car world . All those I spoke with said to do it right once . Actually the big ticket item has not been someone else doing it . It is the little things , they add up . The only pictures I have are the ones before I began and of the engine , it looks cool . I will be doing more photos but it is still in a thousand pieces . My intention when I began was to have the nicest stock appearing scrambler IN THE WORLD !!! LOL .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in