TJ Rear Coil Bow – Worth Fixing? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 153746
TJ Rear Coil Bow – Worth Fixing?

I think this is a pretty standard problem on lifted TJs. Mine has a 5.5” lift RE long arm suspension. So is it worth having someone reweld the spring perch (I don't weld) or do one of the bolt on fixes?

Couldn’t get a good pic of the coils on my TJ, but here is one I found on the web—mine in basically the same, maybe a little more bowed:

My goal would be it improve the on-road ride of the jeep and make it a little easier to drive to trailheads—and maybe let the springs survive a little longer.
I need to work the bump stops in the back so if I’m going to do anything with the perch I want to do it before messing with the bump stops.

Best, J4R
Johnny4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Uptown shithead

Member # 858068
I've been researching this quite a bit lately (I know I have a yj but it has a tj suspension under it). From what I gather it will help the "ride" a bit but it isn't necessarily unsafe unless you happen to be hitting your shock. If you flex enough to need your bumb stops you should move them and the bolt on option is an acceptable alternative to cutting and welding but it adds lift. Also if you haven't yet but plan on a tummy tuck wait till after.
"Don't Tread On Me" is what is says and I'll take that to my grave"
Inevitable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 153746
Thanks. I should add that the coil is not interfering with sway bar or gas tank.

I have the RE long arm, so the tummy tuck is already done. I guess you want the TT done first to get your pinion angle set before re-angling the springs?
Johnny4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Uptown shithead

Member # 858068
Yes. I plan on doing the cut and weld method soonish but I've been out of work for a couple weeks due to getting rear ended on my bike so funds are kinda low atm. I already have the body lift, mm lift and sye I just need adj. uppers and dc shaft ( i think) and I'll be ready for the tt
"Don't Tread On Me" is what is says and I'll take that to my grave"
Inevitable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I wouldn’t worry about it with a long arm. It’s not going to change angle nearly as much is a short arm. If it really bothers you go coil over.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in