Cj5 5.3 vortec EFI or Carb? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 857416
Cj5 5.3 vortec EFI or Carb?

The original plan was to carburete the 5.3 and use a MSD ignition box but I'm rethinking things. I know there are attributes to both (EFI or Carburated). I was originally just looking for simplicity that's why I wanted to use a carb but the efficiency and offroad capabilities of the EFI system is why I've decided to rethink things. I own a complete donor vehical. In theory I should be able to transfer everything from the donor to the CJ5 and everything work fine but the "in theory" scares me. I need help from the veterans
What will I need?
What should I watch out for? Thanks!!
fultzforchrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
carburetor with supercharger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Two aspects of going EFI that are more work is the fuel supply system and ECU wiring. Neither of those are that hard to do. Money wise I think it's nearly a wash, because you have to buy a carb style intake manifold and MSD ignition since the LS doesn't use a distributor. Those ain't cheap. $700 to your door with today's prices. You'll still need to provide a carb on top of that. Reliability wise, EFI is far more reliable and requires pretty much zero attention. Carb you'll be tinkering with all the time. With a carb it's easy to wash down cylinders at high elevation. You really need to know what you are doing with a carb setup regarding tuning. EFI, comb the wiring harness (get rid of unnecessary circuits - simplify it) have the ECU tuned by one of the vendors out there, turn the key and enjoy yrs of trouble free use. Your time is better spent learning EFI stuff rather than carb stuff if you don't know anything about either one.

Aside from that stuff you'll hate wheeling a carb'd rig, unless you love the challenge of trying to restart a flooded engine on the hills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tipped; 10-30-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Add info about MSD controller
Tipped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Go efi The fuel system will be the hardest part. Go with an internal pump in the tank. Itís a pain but worth it. Hereís a thread search and read inside this thread.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...5-3-jeeps.html
Old 10-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 857416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipped View Post
Two aspects of going EFI that are more work is the fuel supply system and ECU wiring. Neither of those are that hard to do. Money wise I think it's nearly a wash, because you have to buy a carb style intake manifold and MSD ignition since the LS doesn't use a distributor. Those ain't cheap. $700 to your door with today's prices. You'll still need to provide a carb on top of that. Reliability wise, EFI is far more reliable and requires pretty much zero attention. Carb you'll be tinkering with all the time. With a carb it's easy to wash down cylinders at high elevation. You really need to know what you are doing with a carb setup regarding tuning. EFI, comb the wiring harness (get rid of unnecessary circuits - simplify it) have the ECU tuned by one of the vendors out there, turn the key and enjoy yrs of trouble free use. Your time is better spent learning EFI stuff rather than carb stuff if you don't know anything about either one.

Aside from that stuff you'll hate wheeling a carb'd rig, unless you love the challenge of trying to restart a flooded engine on the hills.
When you say fuel system do you mean the pump, regulator, pressure gauge, etc? That stuff? The wiring harness will be the issue for me, I have no idea what I'm doing with the harness
fultzforchrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by fultzforchrist View Post
When you say fuel system do you mean the pump, regulator, pressure gauge, etc? That stuff? The wiring harness will be the issue for me, I have no idea what I'm doing with the harness
Yes. And pm waynehartwig on here. He can thin your harness pretty cheap also computer will need reflashed to delete vats and emission. If you donít know what that means read the thread I gave you the link to.

A good reliable fuel system will be different depending on vintage of motor. Again itís covered in that thread. Ask your questions after youíve searched and Iíd ask in that thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in