Another waggy spring QUESTION - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 856954
Another waggy spring QUESTION

Hi all, I've been searching through the forum for weeks now for knowledge. Learning a lot so thanks to all those that are helpful! I'm putting Dana 60s SOA under my otherwise stock 92 YJ and an using HD XJ springs to stretch the rear and want to use WAGGY springs up front untill I have the funds, knowledge & confidence to do a coil over 3link up front. My QUESTION IS: Can I mount the waggy springs without getting the extra lift from them by just extending the shackle side of the mount out to the front of the bumper without any ill effects? Wouldn't mounting the springs with less arch give me more flex do to sitting flatter at rest?
Thanks in advance!
ibLearning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Using extended shackles in the front will change to effective caster angle. Too much and you'll really fuck up the way the front tracks.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 174037
The arch of the spring is dependent on the amount of weight on the spring. Moving the shackle won't change the ride height unless your moving it up.
will12785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 856954
Ok, not planning on using longer shackles as I don't like the cons associated with excessively long shackles. So if I leave the solid eye mount in factory position and move the shakle side mount to in front of the bumper and slightly "frenched" thereby decreasing the resting arch of the spring I should be able to get the slight stretch without the height and have no ill effects correct?
Old 11-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 856954
For example is I was to run 2" lift springs with factory mount locations I'd get 2" of lift but if I ran those same springs but stretched the mount locations by 4" I would no longer get that 2" of lift. Does this weaken the spring any or will I be fine?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibLearning View Post
For example is I was to run 2" lift springs with factory mount locations I'd get 2" of lift but if I ran those same springs but stretched the mount locations by 4" I would no longer get that 2" of lift. Does this weaken the spring any or will I be fine?
Not following the "stretch the mount locations" comment. A leaf spring installation entails fixed mount on one end, swing shackle on the other. With weight of rig on the spring, the spring shackle frame mount is located to provide proper shackle angle and done. Put up a pic of what you mean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tipped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 856954
I don't know how to post pictures but what I mean by "strething" the mounts is leaving the non shackle side mount where it's at and move the shackle side mount out therby increasing the distance between the spring mount locations. Would that just change shackle angle? Or could I do that to reduce lift from given spring since I reduced it natural resting arch?.

At this point it looks like I'm just going to french the hangers to lower my rig when I go SOA. I'm just trying to get a little more understanding on different manipulations of leafs. Thanks for the responses so far!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 76990
I ran Rancho 44044 waggy springs on a c7, I used the stock solid mount location and stock front shackle location. I used a longer shackle, Maybe a bomberang shackle and it worked out good. I did pull the bottom 2 leaves off and it was spring under, I had highline fenders and cleared 37" Iroks. Did a bit of trimming in the rear.
superglock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 05:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 36385
I think what he is talking about is mounting the shackles off of the front of the bumper versus under the frame. This would move the frame side shackle point up possibly, and would create a little less lift than using the same exact shackle mounted under the frame. To answer your question, yes, you can do that. I have setup every offroad rig I have built with front leafs in that manner. Not only does it help keep you lower because the shackle mount has been raised, if done right it provides a stop for the shackle, not allowing the spring to over droop, and help to prevent bent main leafs significantly.
Big4x4Rides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
I run late 70's front Wagoneer springs on my project, in the front. Waggy springs are slightly longer than CJ springs. Almost same length as YJ springs, still slightly longer. I had to fab and move shackle mounts forward of the front bumper to retain stock leaf spring mounts in the rear. Waggy springs have offset pin and pushed the axle fwd 2" from stock location as well. I ran it this way for 7 years with no issues. I'll be 3 linking the front with track-bar when I switch to tons in a few years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tipped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 14004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibLearning View Post
Hi all, I've been searching through the forum for weeks now for knowledge. Learning a lot so thanks to all those that are helpful! I'm putting Dana 60s SOA under my otherwise stock 92 YJ and an using HD XJ springs to stretch the rear and want to use WAGGY springs up front untill I have the funds, knowledge & confidence to do a coil over 3link up front. My QUESTION IS: Can I mount the waggy springs without getting the extra lift from them by just extending the shackle side of the mount out to the front of the bumper without any ill effects? Wouldn't mounting the springs with less arch give me more flex do to sitting flatter at rest?
Thanks in advance!
You are going to be sky high with that setup. Waggy springs are like a 2" lift YJ spring. Plus going from SUA to SOA. Also, Waggy springs are ~1.5" longer than your YJ springs with an offset center pin, so like Tipped said you will have to move the shackle hangers. This will not flatten the spring, but it can change the angle of the shackle which can lower things a bit, especially if you raise it like Tipped did.

I suggest you take a look at the steering as well. D60 arms are typically longer, so you need a longer pitman to get a decent turning radius. You will probably end up relocating your power steering box...

- TBI 304/T18a/D300/60/70/5.86/43's
87 Samurai - GSX carbs/16V 1.6/GRS-II/linked rear/31's
Kreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 856954
Thanks guys. Big4x4Rides that is exactly the info I was looking for, I plan on doing that with a slightly frenched solid side mount. I'm not trying to go big with the SOA, With SOA I'm looking to only get roughly the same height as a 4" SUA setup would net me. Beautiful rig Tipped. I'm probably going to end up with some sort of bastard pack in the end before linking the thing. But the more I look into stretch the wheel base the more it looks like I should just cut off the spring mounts and move them while also frenching them using 0 lift yj springs.

I've got everything except the front axle at this point and soon as I score that I'm gonna start hacking and welding! Going to stretch as must as possible on the "stock" frame (only extended by 2" with 2x4 steel bumper front and rear. Going to hang the shackles off the ends of the bumpers.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 119189
I have waggy springs on my YJ, it moved the front axle forward about 1.5 inches which caused havoc on the steering, I wound up moving the steering box forward, use a dodge Van pitman, did a High steer on a waggy 44...so just consider all of the other variables before you jump in. I would just use a YJ main leaf in the front if I was to do it again. Tim
astjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in