Need help 95 YJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 156709
Need help 95 YJ

Looking for some direction. I have a 1995 YJ with the 2.5 and ax5 transmission.
This crusty Jeep is used entirely for plowing my driveway. Last weekend I did some maintenance including replacing the clutch and fixing the gas tank skid plate. After completing the work I went to pull out of the garage it the check engine light came on and it started running horrible.

The codes it shows are 12. 33, 24, and 55.

Code 24 is TPS out of range.

So far I have checked the connections on the sensors I unplugged to do the transmission. I found a chunk of rust in the crank position sensor so I just replaced it. That wasn’t it. When I start it it isles fine with no cel but when I try to move is turns on and proceeds to bearly run.
jballs222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
El Conquistador

Member # 208306
Did you miss hooking a ground back up ? Speed sensor ?
Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 156709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Rock View Post
Did you miss hooking a ground back up ? Speed sensor ?
It’s possible. I double checked the speed sensor plug today. I don’t remember a separate ground.
jballs222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Code 12 is the battery has been disconnected within 255 starts, disregard that one.

Code 24 is either the TPS volts are low or high.

Code 33 is the AC clutch relay, often shows up if you don't have A/C so disregard it.

Code 55 is end of codes.

The TPS is a pretty important input to the computer. It is easily checked with a multimeter. One wire to it should have 5 volts with the key on. (Violet with a white tracer) One wire should have a good ground, (Black with a light blue tracer)the other wire is the sensor signal to the PCM (orange with a dark blue tracer).

You can back probe the connector with a paper clip or a needle through the seal on the back of the TPS connector to read the voltages with the multimeter.

Key on, Engine off, at closed throttle the reading should be over 0.2 volts. (Usually it's around .6V) Wide open throttle should be below 4.8 volts. As you sweep the throttle slowly, the voltage should gradually go up and down between these points without dropping out. Also, when you return to the closed throttle position, the reading should return to the same voltage as before.

I used to change a lot of TPS's on these. They are especially vulnerable to water and would often fail after the engine was washed.

Hope this helps!
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 856954
Make sure you buy an OEM TPS if that does happen to be your issue. I go through creeks/mud holes on the regular and PRESSURE WASH my engine after every outing and have yet to have any of my OEM sensors fail! If you buy aftermarket you WILL be replacing it sooner rather than later, light breeze causes that junk to fail
ibLearning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in