Help which D60 do I get? Or pass on both & keep the HP44? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Help which D60 do I get? Or pass on both & keep the HP44?

Okay I had not thought I would go to a D60 front axle but since I am looking to redo my whole suspension on my Jeep anyhow I guess if I am going to do this now is the time.

So local to me( 3 hour drive 1 way) is a 06 Super Duty D60 complete from what I can see in the picture. He wants $400 for it but I am not 100% sold on these newer axles and am trying to read thru the 150+ page thread on them.

Next is a 86-91 D60 housing. No outer knuckles, carrier or anything else just a bare housing with the bearing caps. He is asking $250 plus $225 shipping so $100 more than the complete axle.

Now which ever one I am to get or if I wait for a different one I am going to narrow this to be as narrow as I possible can. I'd like to hit 62" WMS to WMS but I know that is pushing it.

So let's hear it...Ö Which axle do I want or do I keep looking? Or throw some RCV's at my Hp44 and just call it good? I might see 40's some day but the current 38" TSL SX's are fine. Was planning on getting the Pit Bull Rockers in 37x13.5x16.5 next but they don't list them on their website anymore.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Scars are just to remind you of where you have been, Not where you're going.
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
No matter which axle you use I wouldn't go any narrower than 65" wms to wms. Makes it damn near impossible to fit coil overs or get full turning radius out of 40" tires.

Delete the D44 if you are going 40's. Your 38" TSL SX's are probably more like 35.5" in reality. Swampers are notoriously undersized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tipped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipped View Post
No matter which axle you use I wouldn't go any narrower than 65" wms to wms. Makes it damn near impossible to fit coil overs or get full turning radius out of 40" tires.

Delete the D44 if you are going 40's. Your 38" TSL SX's are probably more like 35.5" in reality. Swampers are notoriously undersized.
The TSL's I have now measure out at 37". Yes I know I need to stay wider which is one of the reasons I have not gone to a D60 as of yet.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 214685
I ran an RCVd HP44 on 36s for a while, I wouldn’t do it again. That super 60 for $400 is a no brainer. I too still prefer the KP60s but for that price it’s hard to pass up.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Super Duty would be my pick.

Also 62 inches might be too narrow given the width of the Cís

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byro View Post
I ran an RCVd HP44 on 36s for a while, I wouldnít do it again. That super 60 for $400 is a no brainer. I too still prefer the KP60s but for that price itís hard to pass up.

What didn't you like about the RCV's in your HP44?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Super Duty would be my pick.

Also 62 inches might be too narrow given the width of the Cís

Yes I threw that out there as a figure but know 63-64" is about as narrow as I could get it. Guy with the 06 hasn't replied yet.

If I was staying with 37" tires or smaller will the HP44 be enough? So far I have only broken one stock u-joint which took out a shaft also. Upgraded to Longfield u-joints. And have Alloy axles.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 214685
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
What didn't you like about the RCV's in your HP44?
I loved the RCVs. But it took my ďback up and smash itĒ driving style to the next level. The locker didnít like it, then eventually the ring and pinion.

The amount of money I had into my 44 to only be half as strong as a 60 would have built a decent 60. Which is exactly what Iím doing now.

The 44 is great if you wanna run 35s.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 119189
If you are that hard on equipment, look for a 70, they are the same size housing, bigger tubes, and almost unbreakable in a jeep...and no more money to build than a 60. Tim
astjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byro View Post
I loved the RCVs. But it took my ďback up and smash itĒ driving style to the next level. The locker didnít like it, then eventually the ring and pinion.

The amount of money I had into my 44 to only be half as strong as a 60 would have built a decent 60. Which is exactly what Iím doing now.

The 44 is great if you wanna run 35s.

What locker did you have in your HP44? I'm running a ARB right now and plan to keep it at this point.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
You didnt say what rear axle or current bolt pattern you have.

A bj axle with zero outers can be a good way to build a 5x5.5" wheel pattern or 8x6.5 if you already have one of those in the rear.

Superdty needs moddi,g to get 8x6.5 and i have no idea whats available to go smaller.. Will get expensive fast.
total newb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
You didnt say what rear axle or current bolt pattern you have.

A bj axle with zero outers can be a good way to build a 5x5.5" wheel pattern or 8x6.5 if you already have one of those in the rear.

Superdty needs moddi,g to get 8x6.5 and i have no idea whats available to go smaller.. Will get expensive fast.
I'm on the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I have a TeraLow CRD60 rear axle that is 60.5" wide. My Jeep was built for the narrow trails in the PNW so I didn't go as wide as some people go.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 77571
I HATE the SD60 axle for a dual purpose Jeep. Too wide, doesn't package well, no caster, stupid DL/TR, no steering angle, funky bolt pattern....For starters......

Buy an aftermarket center of your choice with tubes already shoved in. Find some C`s and knuckles, decide your width. Set the pinion angle and offset. Then add the C`s with some caster.

Much better way than trying to pound a square peg in a round hole.

The finished product will be so much better than trying to
Old 01-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 77571
I HATE the SD60 axle for a dual purpose Jeep. Too wide, doesn't package well, no caster, stupid DL/TR, no steering angle, funky bolt pattern....For starters......

Buy an aftermarket center of your choice with tubes already shoved in. Find some C`s and knuckles, decide your width. Set the pinion angle and offset. Then add the C`s with some caster.

Much better way than trying to pound a square peg in a round hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in