J Series T-18 to 4.0 possible? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 859778
Exclamation J Series T-18 to 4.0 possible?

I found a T-18 out of a 1972 J4000 Truck. It was mounted to an AMC 360 motor and still has the bellhousing and transfer case. I would really like to go with a 4.0 motor and if possible this transmission.
I have been reading online and it seems that the input shaft length is where I will run into the problem. Has anyone done this swap or am I somewhat on my own. I understand everything is possible if you keep throwing money at it but I am trying to do this relatively inexpensive, aside from any adapters I need to buy. The code stamped to the transmission is 13-01-097-902 if that helps at all.
Cameronkenyon31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44053
I'd call Novak Adapters and see if they have a kit. There are a TON of T-18 variations; all with different input shaft diameters and lengths. You may have a lucky version that will easily convert, but its hard to say without measuring what you have.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...anual/t18-t19/
Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 136091
Location: Back in the good 'ol U S of A after three long deployements!
The short answer is yes it will work. The bellhousing should bolt right up to the 4.0, but the issue you're going to have is mounting the CPS. Novak will machine the mounting hole for $50 bucks. There are some other details you need to take into consideration like pilot bearing, clutch, etc. Novak has a great article written up on this.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/.../amc/ford-amc/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 XJ on 35s Work in Progress
GFY Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY Racing View Post
The short answer is yes it will work. The bellhousing should bolt right up to the 4.0, but the issue you're going to have is mounting the CPS. Novak will machine the mounting hole for $50 bucks. There are some other details you need to take into consideration like pilot bearing, clutch, etc. Novak has a great article written up on this.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/.../amc/ford-amc/
Didnít know Novak would machine the bellhousing. Good to know.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 136091
Location: Back in the good 'ol U S of A after three long deployements!
Neither did I. Learn something new every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 XJ on 35s Work in Progress
GFY Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 35484
Parts Mike has a short shaft kit, link below(just confirm it will work with your year). Not sure on the T18 bellhoising but a T176 will work as well other than the aformentioned CPS.

1T18-SBR T18 short shaft kit Jeep installation
williamj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9994
what jeep are you putting this in?

I have the same T-18 with a long input shaft in my Scrambler and really like it. The shifter is in a good place and the front and rear driveshafts are decently long. the D20 has an odd shifter with extension rods, but it works just fine.

I'm going to replace it with an NV4500 and D300 this summer and will be selling it to someone else with a Scrambler. no complaints with the T-18, just want the OD of the NV4500
1994 RAM 1500 4x4

Custom Fabrication Parts:

jeepnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnmatt View Post
what jeep are you putting this in?
^^This^^

The input shaft isn't a problem when it comes to mounting to the 4.0. You already have the bellhousing that's matched to that input shaft's length.

It's a matter of will the input (and corresponding bellhousing depth) push the transmission back too far for your rig. Consider where the shifter will land and how long or short the rear driveshaft will be.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 191442
One thing to check is the thickness of the flywheel between the 4.0l and the 360 AMC. The 360 flywheel might be thicker which will place the clutch closer to the trans than the 4.0l flywheel will. The 360 flywheel will physically bolt to the 4.0l crank, but the balance will be off. The 360 AMC needs a counterweight, the 4.0l or other AMC sixes are neutral balanced. A balance shop can re-balance the 360 flywheel to neutral balance or you can get an early 258/232 flywheel from the same year as the donor vehicle (If you end up needing the thicker flywheel)

You will need to use the old style Ford type starter with the 360/232/258 flywheel the 4.0l flywheel's ring gear is in a different spot and uses a gear reduction type starter (Much better) If the flywheels are the same thickness as measured from the crank flange to the clutch surface, then use the 4.0l flywheel for the better starter and ability for the crank sensor to read the tone ring on it.

The big 11.92" clutch from the donor (Assuming mid 70's SJ/J1/J20)will fit the 4.0l flywheel perfectly.

I came up with a home made bracket that mounts to the driver's side upper two bolt holes in the bell housing that only requires about a 1" hole to be drilled into the bell housing for the sensor to poke through. This bracket goes to the two holes at about 10 o'clock as you look at the housing from the rear. (Compare to a 4.0l Bell housing and you will get the drift of it).

Here's some pictures how I make them from 1/8" aluminum :
Marty SoCal 4L Crank Sensor Adapter Bracket by Marty Blenz | Photobucket

Also needs about 3/8" of spacers between the bracket and the bellhousing with about 1/2" longer than stock bolts to space it in line with the tone ring on the flywheel. I found that the thick washers used on 4.2l exhaust manifolds were perfect for use as spacers.

If you have to use the early Jeep flywheel, then you can get a Mopar/Hesco front crank sensor mounting kit and custom damper with the tone ring like that used on their 4.2l EFI conversions.

Hope this helps!
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2114
The bellhousing will bolt to the 4.0 if you plan on putting it in something with a long wheel base, if its a CJ then the J series t-18 will have the long input shaft. You will need the shorter 1976 to 1979 CJ version or a Ford will work with a relocated pilot bushing. If you are 1980 and newer your dana 300 will not bolt to the adapter. Like some have said, Novak makes these as well as any combination of trans/transfer case adapters.
JeepManEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in